Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I have 3 sprayers and I've been looking to get a backpack sprayer. I recommend every gardener have at lease 1.

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon D, is it warm there also? What a good idea, a backpack sprayer for home use. Some research needed I think.

Do keep cool D if it is hot there in Rhode Island.

3. Acerholic

Lol , yes Metamorphosa was introduced here in 2019, not too good first season but doing well now.
    Jordan is struggling a bit atm with the heat, but that's to be expected with the Shirasawanum's.

4. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Morning LoverOfMaples, just for curiousity: is the Rhode Island Red came from RI grower?.

5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

What we call "Savon noir" ("Black soap") is traditionally used by gardeners here. It used to be available in supermarkets as a house cleaning product, but since the "organic revival" it's available in garden centres too. Part of the traditional recipe consists in mixing it with a decoction of tobacco : nicotine is a powerful insecticide that was used in horticulture but is not available any more. What's in a 20-cigarette pack will kill anyone from heart failure. Heavy smokers risk cancer, heart diseases, strokes, etc. but when inhaling, the nicotine is somewhat metabolized fefore the next fag. Or something.

When Mr Wise Guy, AKa AlainK stops posting for more than two weeks, you'll know why... ^^

dicky5ash and Acerholic like this.
  6. Acerholic

Brilliant Alain, lots of laughter this side of the channel.

7. AlainK

Oh no, not again ! LOL

I can't compete :-(

^_^

8. Acerholic

Great information also I must add.

9. Acerholic

Btw on another thread 'Identification needed', we were wondering if there is a Redwood Bonsai. Any ideas Alain ??

10. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Ive been on the Nicotine gum for a few years now, no “reversion” to date but I’m thoroughly addicted to that now..bonus they said the nicotine causes difficulties for Covid 19’s development to the serious respiratory disease so provides a little protection..when I heard people went mad buying nicorrete gum in French pharmacies I placed a larger than normal internet order as I thought folks would do the same here!

AlainK likes this.
  11. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

There is a redwood bonsai..it looks amazing..I can’t recall the name

12. Acerholic

The things you learn on this thread !!!!!

13. AlainK

Do you mean "Sequoia sempervirens" or a maple cultivar named "Redwood" ?...

If you mean Sequoia sempervirens, there are amazing bonsai on the west coast, for the best place for any bonsai tree is where the local species grows.

A nice example, but I saw some that are even more spectacular :

[​IMG]

I have a couple of seedlings. They grow very fast and since it's one of the few conifers that backbuds when cut heavily, I've tried two of them this way.

But that's a... tree of a different colour, I could say, back to maples ;-)

14. Acerholic

Dawn redwood. Not a maple. The thread was created by @sunshade.

15. AlainK

Not in the "Maples forum", was it ?

16. Acerholic

Beautiful Alain, hope @sunshade enjoys this too.

17. Acerholic

Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers) forum

18. AlainK

OK, thanks. I confess that I rarely visit the other UBC forums, except for an identification.

19. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well, I still have the Dawn Redwood you gave me a few years ago @AlainK , growing slowly in a place without much soil, but also quite exposed. The hay is being fluffed around it as we speak! :) Hopefully one day it will make a large tree. I've put a Meyer's fir with it in a pair. That one's not growing much either, haha.

Speaking of Beni tsukasa @Acerholic it does grow eventually. This one was planted about 10 years ago, taken earlier in the bright noon sunshine.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

Good afternoon Emery, hot enough for you!!? Yes I'm well aware after the one at Westonbirt drew me to buying it. Been on my list for a long time tbh.
    Yours is looking very special indeed. It is a maple that's not always considered by enthusiasts and I don't know why !!!

21. Acerholic

I do, as I love all flora and fauna, spent many years trying to protect it in the UK , so it's in my blood so to speak.

22. AlainK

I can still send you a Larix x eurolepis (I'm sure the climate in Normandy is better suited than here), and a 1,20 m high Sequoia sempervirens. You want these trees, don't you ?

I desperately need more space here... LOL

PS: This offer is available for people outside France too, provided they pay for the shipment and have a garden, or a property where they can plant trees that will reach a fairly tall height, or who would like to "play bonsai" with. ;°)

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Sadly not me I'm afraid, but a wonderful and generous offer Alain.

24. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Gah it is indeed. Just come off the mower, the sun is beating down. Expecting 31C then 32C tomorrow and Thursday. Luckily the house stays nice and cool, it probably won't get above 16C downstairs. The wife goes around with a couple of sweaters, and keeps her office door closed so it stays warm. Or so she tells me!

It's a shame about 'Beni tsukasa' isn't it, another of the old cultivars forgotten among the new introductions, most of which IMNSHO aren't nearly as good. There are few more spectacular JMs in spring, and it takes a lot of sun too.

Gah again. The Larix for sure, I'll have to think about another Sequoia. I can't remember what year the current one was planted, it's still under 2m though. It really sulked through a couple of years but does seem to be getting its feet under it now.

Who needs some oaks? I've got a big crop of Turkey Oaks, Quercus cerris. (see pic) Just say the word! Should have some A. velutinum and I've got a huge crop of good looking A. sikkimense, though I think they'll be too small to go this year.

Did you do the MS seed exchange this year Alain? I had almost no luck, I didn't stratify and I don't think it ever got cold enough during winter. I'll save the trays for next year. Not sure whether there will be a distribution this year, still very hard to plan what to do.

IMG_20200613_143342_1.jpg

So I found a market trader to sell maples and some other stuff, took some pics of the stuff going off for sale during our internet outage. Dunno if he's sold any of it yet.

IMG_20200611_131749_1.jpg IMG_20200611_123951_1.jpg IMG_20200611_124008_1.jpg IMG_20200611_124020_1.jpg IMG_20200611_124039_1.jpg IMG_20200611_124051_1.jpg IMG_20200611_124153_1.jpg

Now back into the heat, must collect Tilia flowers (for tea) before the thunderstorms coming on Friday. -E

monicasanchez, AlainK and Nik like this.
  25. AlainK

In "Berry", it was a tradition for young people to collect tilia flowers, almost a ceremony - at least that's what a French girl told me when we were in Dundee, Sco. When we were back to France, I met her father. He had two rows of teeth (that's true!).

I later married another girl ^_^

Me neither : most of the seeds I collected myself in my garden sprouted, almost none of the seed exchange. I've kept all the bags in my garage though, and maybe some will sprout like in the previous years when I thought they wouldn't but some of them did. But I have forgotten them, I hope they're not too dry by now.

It's a lot of work for those who collect, sort out, put into individual packets, and send these seeds, so it might be disappointing for them, that's why I didn't reply to a message from the Maple Society asking about it.

It's like throwing the dice and expecting to get a double ace each time I guess...