Wildflowers: Coastal Cape Breton Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Marian Whitcomb, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Marian Whitcomb

Marian Whitcomb New Member

A Potentilla? Only a few plants found in one location, rocky shore, plants about 6" in diameter...going through my 95,000 photos, all of which were taken for aesthetics and not for botany ID, unfortunately. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Marian Whitcomb

I think I found it...Potentilla recta?

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  3. Tyrlych

Tyrlych Rising Contributor 10 Years

With that leaves I would suggest P.anserina s.l. (now Argentina anserina ?).

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  4. Marian Whitcomb

Thank you! I am delighted, as this is a native, and the other not. I am restoring a shoreline so can use its seeds for that effort (hopefully before the road grader comes through and wipes it out).

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning Marian, restoring a shoreline, how wonderful. This world needs more people like you. Do post photos as you progress, I for one will watch with great pleasure. 'Well done you'.

6. Marian Whitcomb

Blush! Thank you, you made my week, maybe month! LOL when I walk with the knowledge of the loss of ground by native plants, watched since I began to learn when I was 18 ( I'm 58 now), I feel the dismay of a person walking on a beach that is full of litter...only plant litter produces seeds, waylays pollinators, changes soil chemistry, and grows without check. I can't help it...like Sylvia Earle said, it is like not trying to catch a baby falling out of a window. With my health issues, losing a year of that work makes me realize how sisyphian the job is, especially when people are so divorced from the natural world or any real concern for it. I do know, from experience and research where I live, that the natives come roaring back if one but makes room for them...though there are plants I have worked at for 20 years, like Japanese Knotweed, and never managed to kill one patch. Here is what I got for my shoreline work...in the previous decades we had never had sandpipers nest here. Only one chick, not statistically significant, but so rewarding. Just removing Rugosa rose and allowing the native beach plants to grow. I wish I had taken better photos of the process, because losing last year is like losing five years of hard work.

Attached Files:

wcutler and Daniel Mosquin like this.
  7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Marian, you have fans here in England from my wife and I for what you are doing. What a lovely photo of the Common Sandpiper chick, a ball of fluff, lol. Just that one photo should give you a lot of hope.
    It is the same here in the UK, rubbish, graffiti, fly tipping, criminal damage to new sapplings etc etc. I used to take great joy in arresting the people who committed these offences against nature and our society. But I'm now retired and we are trying to do our bit also. It is important not to give in and say "well that's just how it is these days". Just one persons effort is all it takes to make a difference. You are proving that already.
    Keeping things native is so very important for flora and fauna alike, no more should we plant things just because we like it.
    Do keep us all updated on this thread, everyone on the forums should read it.