Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hope you're OK Emery, lots of vinegar is what I've used. Take it easy for the rest of the day. D

emery likes this.
  2. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Ouch. Sounds quite scary that happening up a ladder. Hope it gets better soon.

emery likes this.
  3. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Ouch, I got be hurt with that many stings. I hope it is gone away soon. take care!

emery likes this.
  4. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Thanks D., yes D is right. I am working on thinning my collection now by letting them go to other good homes where they will find more spaces to freely growing. So Luke, enjoy them growing now but when they start to outgrowing us then you will need to help them out unless you have land like Emery then you can keep them all and we will buy tickets to come visit your maples garden like D said, hahaha.
    I am also learning and doing like M (Roebuk) to start putting them in pots to content their growth as well as easy for me to move them around.

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Good afternoon S, do post some photos of when you get some of your larger ones in pots, that you showed me the other day.

6. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi D., here is the pics of my Summer Gold, the only one is still holding the yellow lime green color in my entire garden.
    Here is also the Fujinami Nishiki in a pot now that I told you a couple weeks ago. It was in a crowded place and competed for sun so see how tall (9-10ft) she is now with only a few branches on top but I am kinda like it with its slim elegant look.

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, Nik, AlainK and 4 others like this.
  7. Acerholic

They are beautiful S and I agree the tall elegant look of your Fujinami Nishiki is striking. Great colour combination also. Summer gold is a success everywhere it seems.

8. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Yes, I agreed w/ D. about Summer Gold.
    D, I took a shot of the Butterfly yesterday and it is now down to 5.5ft and I dug the AS Palmatifolium into the pot but I am still not sure how much I need to top pruning this one cause if I take 1-2ft off then nothing is lef lol. I also reached out to M (Roebuk) for input since he is my potting expert .
    Any input is appreciated.

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, Nik, AlainK and 2 others like this.
  9. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

This is mine. I'm very impressed so far. This is its second year with me from a new graft. I think i will seek out a nice size one if it continue to do so well. Are there any more nice holding yellows out there?

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

Yes your right, it's a difficult one. IMO best to leave it until February and see where the new buds form, then look at shaping. But tbh I like it like that. Perhaps place it behind the other pots!!?

11. Acerholic

Good evening D, yes it's definitely a winner. Lovely yellows.
    I will post my yellows in the morning, washing up to do now, Lol

12. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Wow, lovely color. My closest to this one is Shidava gold and Aureum (AP).

13. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Here’s the sept 2019 burn pile Aconitifolium, looking pretty healthy now, no sign of black bark. Massive leaves..I keep this one in sun, but part shaded 2-6pm. Pics 1-3

Another Aconitifolium, strong green, kept in partial shade for much of the day pics 4-5

Filigree..this normally sits under the canopy of my Baldsmith..I find this delicate, finely serrated leaf cultivar needs full sun protection, only gets dappled sun until 12.30pm pics 6-7

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

Good evening R , beautiful shapes and wonderful condition. I also love how you have placed that stunning filigree in front of the wall that sets it off so well. Couldn't be placed any better IMO.

15. dicky5ash

Thanks D..no special placement, I just moved the Baldsmith to inspect how it was getting on..nice find in the filigree pot, nice little cut leaf seedling :)

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  16. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Got to plant the new Grandma Ghost this morning before heading off to work. Then I was doing some watering since it's been pretty dry for the past week and getting hot. I was worried about my Ruslyn in the Pink since it wasn't very pink this spring and some of the leaves had scorched tips but I noticed some new leaves appearing today.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

Good morning J , your Grandma ghost will like it there, looks a nice size and a healthy specimen also.
    My Ruslyn in the pink was not too colourful this year either, just one of those years for it probably. That's why I tell myself, 'having plenty of others makes up for the years some don't do so well', lol. It is a cultivar that can suffer with leaf burn IMO.

18. Acerholic

Good morning, D @LoverOfMaples last evening asked about our yellows and how they are getting on atm.
    Here are mine, Jordan is already suffering from the heat of 27° C yesterday, Moonrise is doing nicely, Metamorphosa I'm very pleased with this season and Summer gold has turned very quickly to a lighter green. And 32°C expected in next couple of days, so I'm expecting some frying of leaves.
    Just out to drench the roots now in preparation.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

Just had a delivery. This is Acer palmatum 'Beni tsukasa', a very slow growing maple with small delicate palmate leaves.

Excellent quality and packaging yet again from Hippopotering.

Attached Files:

20. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Very nice D. Is that a 3ltr plant?

21. Acerholic

Good morning Luke, yes it is. Brilliant quality once again. My next one is Black Lace with a different company that my children bought for me on Sunday. It will be interesting to see the difference packaging and quality wise.
    Keep cool
    D

22. dicky5ash

looks in amazing condition D..I have found Pat’s trees superb and she’s extremely helpful, even making time when she’s been overwhelmed with chaos at Hampton Court Flower show..

23. Acerholic

Good afternoon R, hope your keeping as cool as possible. Yes you are so right about Hippopotering. Absolute quality and as you say, 'Pat is so very helpful'. TBH why go anywhere else in the UK with Junkers and Hippo providing such good quality maples.

24. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Metamorphosa? That's what I was looking for. Something I have seen before. Wow! Interesting looking one D. Too bad we don't have it over here.

Sorry D, gm. I got overly excited. They all look nice. I thought i had Jordan but don't see it on inventory list. I guess I will check as I water the gardens in a bit.

25. Acerholic

I've had a few PM' s asking how I mist my maples, so I thought I would post a photo of the vessel I use. Nothing special or expensive, but it does the trick. It will get a lot of use these next few evenings.
    Oh, I do use it with soap water for the aphids as well. Does the trick as I can get to the underside of the leaves where the little lighters hide.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples likes this.