Is my Sago Palm Dead?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Nicole0426, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

I gave this sago palm to my dad for Christmas a few years ago. He would water it every 7 to 10 days or so and it was growing great! The. It started getting yellow leaves that dried up. He had it in his office and thought it possibly got some over spray from cleaning ladies but is not totally sure about that.
    I have had it for about 1 year and have been trying to save it since it started going down hill. I cut off the dried up leaves thinking it would stimulate growth. But it hasn't had any new growth. Just today I peeked at the roots and there were some that looked like they had some root rot so I took off the dry brittle roots and put it in new soil.
    So, my question is, do you think it's dead? It still has 3 green leaves. But no new growth in a long time.

Attached Files:

2. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

So, what do you think? Is it dead or is there still hope? I would like to nurse it back to health but don't want to keep watering it of its dead.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I don't know anything about this, but maybe nobody else here does either. I would not give up on a plant that still has green leaves. And from what I'm reading, you don't even need to give up on these if they have no leaves. I thought this video was pretty informative:
    how to tell if a sago palm is dead - Bing video

4. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

Thank you!

5. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

It's definitely still alive if it has even one green leaf. These can come back sometimes from a period without any leaves at all. It needs more sun!! These like full unobstructed outdoor sun in the tropics all day long. You can't go straight to outdoor all-day sun from where it's at now without burning the leaves, but at least try to get it right into a window or a spot outdoors that gets just a little sun but not midday full sun.

6. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

Thank you for the advice! I had a feeling he needed more sun. I put it outside where it gets morning sun but not afternoon. Thankfully today is a bit cooler so I felt ok putting it outside to try and let it acclimate. We've been getting upper 90s to 100 degree days lately and I didn't want to scorch the poor guy who has been in a sheltered, climate controlled environment of around 70 degrees. I have had it by a south facing window. Where should I put it when it gets too cold and I need to bring it inside? I live in zone 5.