Best course of action?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kgeezy20, May 9, 2020.

1. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

Hi all.

I have a Seiun kaku that I repotted into what I thought was a nice draining media two years ago, but I now believe I may have been mistaken, granted we’ve had back to back record-setting wet springs, nevertheless, it looks like it may have a bacterial infection. I’ll post pictures below. I’ve already removed the black branches and branch tips, but what would be the next course of action? Repot into a better draining media and treat with something that has some copper in it like neem oil? Also, this maple has flushed out the last two springs, but never added any branch growth. Thought it was just from repotting last spring, but probably something more sinister at work.

Kyle

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi @kgeezy20, first of all I have suffered similar due to extreme wet weather in England. Secondly take the stones off the surface of the soil. They compact the soil and do nothing to aid oxygen to the roots. Also it appears you have your pot placed on grass which does nothing for drainage at all. I would raise the pot off the ground if possible, next prick the surface of the soil around your maple, this will also aid oxygen into the roots. Your soil does look compacted to me.
    I would then let it dry out , ie no water for several days.
    Do not feed or add anything, but if you want to take a look at the thread on Hydrogen peroxide, this could be some help to you. There is some good advice on this topic on here.
    Repotting can cause stress to our maples, hence why I only do it when they are starting or in dormancy and not in Spring, when they are in growth mode.
    Bacterial infections can set in when trees are in stress, but they can recover. It's very easy to kill them with kindness. So doing little is often the best course of action.
    So my advice is let your tree breath by loosening the surface, lifting the pot and getting rid of those stones. And no water until the soil feels dry and crumbly and not sticky in your hand. After which a proper watering regime will aid your tree greatly and you will see it in good health again.

Hope that's of assistance

Acerholic

3. kgeezy20

Yes, I should’ve taken those stones off long ago. They were originally set there to keep the tree from blowing over when it was first establishing in the pot. The pot is actually sitting on a large rock. I read the hydrogen peroxide thread and it was interesting. I may try it.

4. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

There is another thread discussing the uses of hydrogen peroxide solutions. I want to point out that HP is an antiseptic, meaning it is also effective against bacteria, not just fungi.

kgeezy20 likes this.
  5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I think I'd actually repot this one asap. Agree with everything that has been said, stones and all. Don't think HP is a cure-all though, and getting some better flow and oxygen into the roots is the first priority. I'd repot with some mycorrhizae and lots of pine chips; there's some green on top to provide nutrition.

Does Neem oil have copper in it?? In any case a copper pulverization won't hurt, but guessing that oxygen is the primary issue here. As suggested, getting it onto some raised drainage will help a lot too. -E

AlainK and kgeezy20 like this.
  6. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

No, it does not.
    But there are claims that NEEM is antifungal. It is also rumored to be systemic if applied as a root drench. These claims seem to be 'snake oil' to me. I just use it for bugs like scale and white fly when needed.
    I agree with you. Air (oxygen!) to the roots is what is really needed.
    However, if it is simply that the soil is too wet, there may the option of just knocking off the pot and let the bare root ball sit on the bench (an elevated surface) until it dries and the tree maybe perks up. Otherwise, a careful repotting shouldn't be too big a deal if there is little or no new growth extending.

AlainK and kgeezy20 like this.
  7. kgeezy20

Thanks, both of you. I will repot it this weekend. The pot sits on a large rock. Would it be better suited to sit on something that isn’t solid underneath to allow for more air? Oops, I’m not sure why I thought Neem oil had copper in it. Not sure of a good copper product here in the states. Need to do more research.

8. Acerholic

Hi @kgeezy20, glad to hear your removing the stones from the pot. Metal tent spikes either side to hold it down will do a better job and your soil will not get compacted.

9. kgeezy20

An update: after refilling the pot with all new, better-draining media, and removing the rocks, and some root pruning, I noticed some back-budding on this little guy today!

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  10. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Liking that "soil" a lot. Looks like things are going well for it!

One product for copper folks recommend in the US is Phyton27. I think it's sort of expensive though, there may be other alternatives.

kgeezy20 likes this.
  11. Acerholic

Brilliant news. @kgeezy20 . Once they are in the right soil 'OFF THEY GO'. So pleased for you.

D

kgeezy20 likes this.
  12. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Good job, it will survive ! ;°)

kgeezy20 likes this.
  13. kgeezy20

Just going to post this here rather than start a new thread. Noticed this black spot (phytophthora) on my ‘Vitifolium’ earlier in the week. I know it’s media is too wet, and I watered with hydrogen peroxide last week, on part peroxide to four parts water I believe. I think I’m going to cut out the infected part the best I can and treat with a copper product I just got a few days ago, and then repot in a much better draining mix. I know this isn’t an ideal time of year to repot but I assume it’s my best option.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  14. Acerholic

@kgeezy20, what you are suggesting you are going to do is exactly what I would do. There is no future in the tree above the wound IMO.
    Hopefully your Vitifolium can be saved with a repotting into very well drained compost now. The HP treatment will help but your copper suggestion is also a good course of action.
    If root rot has gone too far, it may be that your maple will not survive, but do have a go, and do it now.
    When repotting do make sure that you do not cover the root flare.