Ficus Benjamina struggling

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Yaz, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Yaz

Yaz New Member

Hey, my new plant leaves in the center are brown, dry and falling out. I’m not sure if I’m over or underwatering, I fully soak it once a week and let in drain however it still seems to be dry. Do u remove the dead leaves or keep watering and hoping for the best ? Thanks for any advice !

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Welcome, Yaz. How long have you had the plant, and how long has it been wrapped in that white material? I'm wondering about the air circulation for those branches. And is that location on a closet shelf where it lives? This does not look like the right plant for this location. Maybe first decide if it's the plant you want to deal with, or do you want something the dimensions of the wrapped up plant, in which case, I would suggest giving this plant away and getting something appropriate for the amount of light and space in that location.

You may as well remove the dead leaves - they are not going to revive. If you're going to keep this, then I would say you have to remove the wrapping, remove the dead leaves, and then see what the plant looks like. The rest of the leaves look good, and these ficus are kind of fussy and are prone to dropping leaves. If you change its location, it might drop even more leaves, but would eventually adjust and recover.

As for watering, if it feels heavier after you soak it, then I would assume it's getting enough water even though it seems dry. You can use the pot weight to make your assumptions about how dry it is.

Yaz likes this.
  3. Yaz

Yaz New Member

Thanks for the reply! It came in the netting I don’t mind taking it off though, I did place it here as I read it’s supposed to in indirect sunlight but I can move it to a more suitable place. I’ve had it for about 2 months now and it’s been in that wrapping, I think I underwatered it at first but I m better with it now.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Well, I can't wait to see what the plant really looks like!