Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

We had torrential rain here overnight and my Hostas and Ferns loved it.
    Early morning photo call for them and they smiled nicely for my camera.

I couldn't leave out a little peak of my Acer Dr Brown in my last photo. Lol.

D
    Edited by wcutler: tag= ferns

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2020
    pmurphy and Margot like this.
  2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I decided to get some updated images of my ferns this morning,

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  3. pmurphy

Oops, hit the "reply" instead of the "upload". Here's a few more.....

Margot and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

So easily done lol.
    Wonderful healthy ferns you have and great photos.

D

5. pmurphy

The Asplenium antiquum 'Leslie' is really gorgeous this year (photos don't really do it justice) but I've had issues trying to confirm the information about it. I suspect it is 'Leslie' but the info I can find all talks about them being house plants or zone 9/10 but my plants have been outside for the past 4 years (I think I got them at Canadian Tire on clearance). I actually had to move them last year from a more protected area to the their current position which is more open.

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

@pmurphy, In posting #103, the one named Polystichum polyblepharum is not at all what I am calling that in this posting: Appreciation: - Two polystichum ferns.
    I am very happy to see all these fern names, wish they were in the actual text. I think you all have different objectives from mine, which is to be able to collect information and find it again. If this gets to be a long thread, there will be no way to find the fern postings without scrolling the whole thing.
    I'm thinking about editing your postings and at least putting in the word "ferns". Would that be ok with you?

7. pmurphy

8. Willard

Willard Generous Contributor

20200604 GIBSONSHerbGarden Willard IMG_6479.JPG
    Herb Garden in Gibsons

Acerholic, Margot and pmurphy like this.
  9. Acerholic

This is my Zantedescha aethiopica Arum lily in my garden, raining of course which it loves, with white flower just peeping above the leaves and purple ghost behind. Not the display that Wendy @wcutler provided this morning on the out and about thread. But I only have a small garden !! Lol.

D

Attached Files:

pmurphy likes this.
  10. pmurphy

I finally got outside today after two days of rain and was able to take some photos:

Dracunculus vulgaris - dragon's claw arum (you can see that it's getting ready to open)
    Anthericum liliago - St Bernard's lily
    Abutilon megapotamicum - trailing abutilon
    Ugni molinae - Chilean guava (tasty)
    Vaccinium macrocarpon - cranberry (I didn't realize how tiny the flowers are!)
    And one of the daily visitors to my garden waterfall, posing in front of the trail cam - red shafted flicker

Attached Files:

Acerholic and Margot like this.
  11. Acerholic

Good morning everyone, just took these on a windy morning in England. My Hostas are just starting to bud and flower( Flavocircinalis and Patriot), as are my Clematis Kitty and Cornus kousa China girl.
    My dwarfe Honeysuckle Strawberries and cream and Zantadeshia are now looking their best today.
    The Zantedeschia is a follow up from yesterday, when it was just starting to peep above the leaves.

D

Attached Files:

Margot and wcutler like this.
  12. pmurphy

Well they had to choose today, in the rain, to open but I managed to get some photos between the raindrops.
    Here is a plant that you don't find too often and the smell it one of the reasons....they smell like rotting flesh (but only for a few days)

Dracunculus vulgaris - dragon's claw arum
    *FYI, the larger of the two plants is over a meter tall

Attached Files:

Acerholic, wcutler and Margot like this.
  13. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I would hardly believe such a plant existed if I didn't see it with my own eyes. Incredible - and beautiful!

14. Acerholic

15. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

All the rain we've enjoyed lately, welcome as it has been this spring, has pushed more than a few pretty plant faces into the mud. :-(

Here are a few sweeties in my garden which are managing to keep their faces clean.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  16. Acerholic

@Margot, good morning Margot, yes very wet, then very dry and then very wet again. It is hard to keep on track of weather patterns these days.
    You have some lovely colours in your garden despite the difficult weather this year. I've enjoyed these this morning.

D

17. Gwen Miller

Gwen Miller Active Member

Margot, your post made me happy!
    'A few sweeties in my garden...'
    Yes!

Margot and Acerholic like this.
  18. Nik

Nik Contributor

Sisyrinchium angustifolium (blue-eyed grass), one of several species, which I found growing wild in my yard several years ago. I have encouraged it to spread freely, including in the cracks between granite rocks. Very easy to propagate by splitting and self-seeds freely. The seeds need stratification if kept indoors. Never suffers any damage from insects or herbivores.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

My garden has many maples, yes, but I have various other complementing trees that I love also.
    Here are a few of mine I photographed this afternoon.

I know this is not the maples forum, but I cheekily slipped in just one shadow of my favourite maple 'Ariadne', Lol.

D

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

A proud new baby in my garden today. Hosta 'June', (plantain lily), it's beneath my Acer palmatum 'Corallinum'.

D

Attached Files:

Nik likes this.
  21. Nik

Nik Contributor

Some random photos midday today.
    The Japanese holly, the first two, is a magnet for bees and other insects.
    The last three are of an unexpected (and unwanted) visitor, unusual because they normally come by early morning or late evening.
    The haircap moss sporophytes this year are out of control.

Attached Files:

Gwen Miller, Acerholic and pmurphy like this.
  22. Acerholic

Good evening Nik, that's looking rather hot!!! Lovely photos of everything, but I'm just drawn to the lone red maple between the rocks. 'It is wonderful'.
    Have you thought about a Japanese deer scarer. It also makes a lovely water feature, especially amongst the maples. Just the slightest click will scare them away.
    Deer are lovely, but Soooooo very destructive.
    D

23. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi D, not too bad, 77F (25C), the air is quite dry, which is unusual but very pleasant. The plants love the usual scenario, high humidity, which combined with high temperatures can be rather uncomfortable for people.
    I was outside in the back deck watering a potted ficus that I bring outside for the summer, when a ruby throated hummingbird came to “inspect” me. It spend about a minute just a couple of inches away from my hands. It was wonderful.. They like the hot days.

Gwen Miller likes this.
  24. Acerholic

There are certain wildlife you definitely do not want to frighten off. There was a posting I believe a couple of days ago on another thread with a photo of a Red Throated Humming bird !!? 'Beautiful birds'.
    Was that a white tailed deer btw?
    D

25. Nik

Nik Contributor

Yes it was. They normally show up in groups of 5 to 10, unless it is a male.
    I posted a nesting hummingbird in the maples forum. Here it is in its fully built nest outside of our kitchen window, 20 to 30 feet away. Had to use an actual camera with a zoom feature, not my iPhone for that one. They build their nest out of soft plant material, bind it with spider web silk and plaster it on the outside with lichen pieces for camouflage. And we have plenty of lichen in the yard.
    Last night we were on the couch in the living room when a bobcat calmly passed by the front patio doors. I do not have a picture, just some wildlife camera videos which are not that great. It is a gorgeous animal. I do enjoy observing wildlife..

Attached Files:

pmurphy, Gwen Miller and Acerholic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.