Identification: Sherwood flame

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Sumo, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Sumo

Sumo New Member

Dear all

This is my first post :)

Firstly, let me congratulate you all on such a wonderful community. I've learnt so much browsing the forums recently!

I've always loved gardening and ever since we've entered the Covid 19 lockdown in UK, I've been spending soooo much time working in the garden....and have recently got more obsessed about JMs :D

I have 3 of them already: Atropurpureum, Orange Dream and some unknown one.

They're all around 5 years old and add great colour to the garden. I discovered the secrets of air layering online, so I'm trying to do that now plus propagating some cuttings - no idea if it'll work but it's so much fun trying, and I can't wait for autumn to harvest seeds from my garden and neighborhood:) Also, every year my garden is covered in little seedlings...I decided to grow one, and it turned out to be a horse chestnut, but now I realise a lot of them could be from my JMs, so I look forward to next spring when I'll be more careful with what to weed hehe.

Anyways, I wanted to grow my collection, and was keen on finding one which retains the red leaves throughout the summer - eventually I settled on Sherwood Flame. I bought one online, but to my surprise, when it arrived all the leaves are green! There's only 1 shoot from the graft, and all the leaves look the right shape...there are some tiny hints of red, but the whole tree is pretty much green :(

We've had a lot of sun in the UK recently and it's been warm (20+ degrees C), but maybe this tree was kept in the shade (it was delivered in a sealed box, so had seen no light for a few days at least).

Please could some one help me confirm if this really is a Sherwood Flame? Are there lots of other varieties with this same leaf shape, and maybe I've been sent something else? :(

Kind regards
    Sumo.

Attached Files:

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi @Sumo, first of all welcome to the maple forum. I hope you find it as much fun and informative as I do.
    Regarding Sherwood flame. It does have a tendency to lose it's red colouring during the summer compared to others like Atropurpureum and Skeeters broom etc etc.
    The reds do need more sunlight to hold their colour, so if yours was kept in a shady position in the nursery you purchased it from and then it was in a box for a few days, the red will fade.

IMO You do have Sherwood Flame, it just needs more sun. This season you may get a second flush of leaves that will be red if you plant it or place it in more sunlight.
    If not, then next Spring you will see a lovely red tree for all Summer long.

Hope that's of some help.

D
    PS, I like your cheerful profile picture.

AlainK likes this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I second that.

4. Sumo

Sumo New Member

Thanks guys for the feedback; that's reassuring.
    Guess I won't be returning it, and fingers crossed it turns red in the future! :D