List of flora (& fauna) only in BC ? (But known south of border)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Georgia Strait, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Is there an academic list of species found only in BC .... but may be present elsewhere in North America ?

For example - Arbutus

Or thé spécial Rhododendron in Manning Park (beyond Hope ... just had to say that old BC joke)

Garry Oak?

Some of the desert species in the very south Okanagan of BC

Etc.

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

3. Georgia Strait

Hello Margot - I had a look and can’t see a list exactly showing native species that exist in North America but only in the BC part of Canada.

I am sure there must be a list out there

Thé Manning Park Rhododendrons - for example (i think) ... in bloom now (photos from side of highway sent to me by driver friend)

Attached Files:

4. Georgia Strait

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Found in BC, and USA, but not in other Canadian provinces? Off the top of my head Abies amabilis, Picea sitchensis, Cupressus nootkatensis, Juniperus maritima, Quercus garryana, Acer macrophyllum, and probably many more.

Are there any BC endemics (not found anywhere outside of BC)?

6. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Michael, the following Website lists 11 plants endemic to BC in Table 17: Taking Nature's Pulse: Section 2: B.C.'s Natural Legacy. Note that the plants are listed under the headings Vascular Plants and Non-Vascular Plants, below the first 5 endemic species shown, which are all animals.

7. Margot

Hi Vitog - I'm a bit cross-eyed after scrolling through this very interesting website. Would you be willing to copy and paste the relevant part which lists the 11 plants endemic to BC?

8. Georgia Strait

Michael - thé Nature Conservancy report has a BC list on Page 25

https://www.natureconservancy.ca/as...511.969183856.1591289487-651882962.1586713771

9. Margot

The report says there are 105 endemic species in BC but lists only about 75. It would be nice to see the entire list. I can name all sorts of plants in my garden alone that should be on it . . . Allium acuminatum, Arbutus menziesii, Aspidosis densa, Delphinium menziesii, Lewisia columbiana, Lithophragma parviflorum, Quercus garryana, Saxifraga integrifolia . . . and others.

10. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Hi, Margot. I edited the list and converted it to .JPG. I don't know how it will look after attaching it here.

Attached Files:

11. Georgia Strait

Not sure if this is what Margo seek however it opens perfectly for me on mobile device

That website is rich and dense w readable interesting info

Tho I would need to print out and lay the chart lists out on a large surface To understand (ie relate them to each other)

12. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Aspidotis densa has a disjunct population in Quebec: Aspidotis densa in Flora of North America @ efloras.org

Ok, here are the numbers. There are 778 species/hybrids that occur exclusively within British Columbia and nowhere else in Canada (additionally, there are 100 genera found exclusively within BC and nowhere else in Canada). If you subtract the 19 or so BC endemics (this would be more accurate if I was comparing at the same taxonomic levels), there should be about 759 species/hybrids found within British Columbia (and nowhere else in Canada) but elsewhere in the world (and overwhelmingly these would be in the USA).

If you would like to see the list, you need to visit Canadensys's (UBC Botanical Garden is a part of this consortium) VASCAN tool: Name search - Database of Vascular Plants of Canada (VASCAN)

Click on Checklist Builder (upper right)
    Select Plants that occur ONLY in
    Select British Columbia

In the upper right, click on Choose Your Display Criteria, deselect all except for Species to get a list of Species, or deselect all to get a list of Genera.

Then click on Create Your Checklist

(it's also fun to do Only In for a combination of BC and Yukon)

Georgia Strait likes this.
  13. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks!

Not sure what Asplenium adulterinum is doing on that list - this is widespread, though scattered, in central Europe; it was first described (as a hybrid between A. trichomanes and A. viride) from northern Bohemia in Germany - so if there is a genuine endemic Asplenium in BC that is not the same as European A. adulterinum, it needs a new name.

14. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, that's an interesting one:

"In North America Asplenium adulterinum is known to occur on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, where only the fertile allotetraploids are known. It is likely to occur in areas where the two parents, A . trichomanes and A . trichomanes-ramosum , grow together. The genetics of the American plants should be compared with that of the European, among which two nothosubspecies occur"