Baby Arbutus Madrone Menziesii trouble

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by DLW, Jun 3, 2020.

1. DLW

DLW New Member

Hello all,

I have resigned myself to believe that I am losing my little Arbutus that was doing marvelously up until three days ago when all the beautiful new growth suddenly drooped as if it had not been watered in years. A closer look reveals what looks to be a fungus pathogen, likely phytophthora having entered a small bark injury the tree failed to heal completely. The injury is higher up on the trunk and there is a small new shoot below it. I'm wondering if I should try to sever the tree above just above the shoot in an attempt to remove the affected part of the tree and save the lower part. At this point, I guess it's likely worth a try and I have a few days of dry weather to let it heal over slightly. It will be a decapitation of sorts so I'm wondering if anyone can offer some thoughts and ideas.
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sorry I think your plant is history - these are disease susceptible with many wild specimens in my area looking terrible in later years.

DLW likes this.
  3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am familiar w Howe Sound area and Arbutus

I believe they do not transplant happily and as well certainly a few yrs ago in Howe Sound had some sort of die back on mature trees - big ones known for years now skeletons

I know a place where heavy construction dozers etc dug up land - and now there are big (15 feet tall sturdy at approx 8 yrs age) healthy Arbutus! All naturally volunteered.

I know this is not your exact question/answer

My point is i empathize because I too admire this unique plant (native broadleaf Evergreen) in our little part of Canada.

DLW likes this.
  4. DLW

DLW New Member

Hello, yes, I wonder if the dieback was due to too much rain and now things are tending to be drier so they are once again flourishing. I may try again once I have researched to see what the trend is with these beauties. This one was purchased from Maple Leaf Gardens. So sad to see it suffer.

5. Georgia Strait

Well that’s a good store as far as I know (Maple Leaf on the North Shore)

I have never heard of a happy Arbutus transplant

I have seen some really tiny Arbutus seedlings so maybe one has to start at that stage (2 inch tall!)

They do grow to 10 feet pretty quickly

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

7. DLW

DLW New Member

Thank you, yes, I have read all there is to read about potential diseases while mourning the death of my tree. I have one small bit of hope remaining for some reason so I cannot bear to touch the tree until its leaves actually die. It looks as though the tree is trying to put out new shoots lower down on the trunk. Whatever is going on is happening at a very deceptive rate. I am curious if the dieback in the region is still considered a problem. I'll have to search for some up to date info on that before investing in another attempt. I have two friends who have Arbutus success and live very near me. I also wonder if this fungus will remain present in the soil after the tree is removed. I don't want to plant a new specimen into a contaminated position. I will likely try one more time as I believe there was injury to the bark and I may have overwatered it.
    Thank you all for your time.

8. Georgia Strait

Yes I see the young fuzzy serrated leaves nr base of tree

We have those tiny size tree-lets everywhere at a cottage in Howe Sound

Ironically - as fussy and near impossible to transplant (fr a purchase - or, gasp! - fr thé wild) .... thèse have volunteered after huge digging heavy equipment in the area for new septic etc.

Yes I would be patient and see what happens after a year .

Édit - none of the volunteer Arbutus have sign of disease - tho maybe a few stems don’t look 100%.

I will ask if a seagull is going up the sound past Woodfibre and can deliver a sprout or two for you :)

9. DLW

DLW New Member

Now, I love that idea!! I believe the seeds are as difficult as the seedlings. I am waiting and watching. :)