Shishigashira

Discussion in 'Maples' started by dicky5ash, Jun 1, 2020.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

I purchased this tree on the weekend, it’s got very well established nebari, trunk is 5.5cm and root flare 10cm.It’s in a 15 litre pot, which is clearly too small. Whilst I often leave trees in the pot they arrive in until they have gone dormant, as per standard protocol, with potential root bound trees I tend to repot straight away so that it can form good root growth over the summer, I’ve never had an issue doing this.

Thoughts welcome, it wasn't cheap I dont want to kill it!

Attached Files:

emery, AlainK, Acerholic and 2 others like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@dicky5ash, good to see you back. I can see that was not cheap, but IMO if it's root bound I always move it to a new pot with fresh compost asap. The one time I do 'not' do this is in April / May or early June. But as you are only a month from July, I would hold off until then. My oldest maple I kept in a pot for 42 years and repotted every two years when dormant only and it's survived well. I only recently lifted and planted it out in the ground last October. The compost in the pot had disappeared.
    Your tree looks really healthy and it's a surprise to see a maple purchased with the compost not half way up the main trunk. Lol.

So IMO, I would not transplant yet. Just ensure regular watering and a maybe a feed with some diluted liquid seaweed if it is rootbound, to give it some nutrients.

Anyway, again, 'good to see you back', have missed your photos.

D

dicky5ash likes this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

"Shishigashira" is a must.

I bought one last year and I'm surprised how strongly it develops in spite of its very narrow internodes. So far, it's in 95% shade, hidden among other big cousins, but I'll try to post photos tomorrow.

dicky5ash likes this.
  4. dicky5ash

Thank you both much appreciated..

@AlainK so it needs a lot of shade like Ukigumo? I look forward to seeing your photos, thank you

5. AlainK

Hard to say : here, summers are drier and drier, and can be very hot. Today (we're still in Spring), it was 28°C and in the morning we had 50 km/hr wind. (about 30 mph)

And whether it's in the ground or potted can make a big difference. The local climate (rain & temperatures) are also of major imprtance. For instance, the month of June is, as far as I know, a very rainy month in the islands of Japan, not sure it's as warm and rainy here, at leat so far...

That's what we call "une réponse de normand", "p'têt bin qu'oui, p'têt bin qu'non...", (maybe so maybe not...) The locals in Normandy (the normands, not the Norsemen) are supposed to be very cautious people, the kind of clichés that still persists through such expressions...

dicky5ash likes this.
  6. dicky5ash

Woww that’s hot and windy, leaf killer!..we had really strong winds 2 weeks back, for several days but mild weather. It will be potted

7. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Hi @dicky5ash. My Shishigashira is in full sun most of the day (until 4ish), potted (25gal) , and it does well. I repotted it last spring (very early and very much needed/way pass due) and i haven't had any problems. It looks amazing and is very happy compare to last year. It even flowered this year. Here in the Northeast US we had temps of high 90s last year. I also have Acer palmatum 'Goshiki Kotohime' in full sun with no problems.

dicky5ash likes this.
  8. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

@dicky5ash that's a great looking shishi, really nice nebari and caliper.

I repot all trees received from nurseries immediately, regardless of season, because they're so often grown in peat (the ones I buy anyway) and it retains way too much water.

Otherwise, I line up with @Acerholic quite closely, with the exception that I look at the growth rather than the month per se. What we both want to do I guess is repot after the first flush of growth, but before the second has started. I never repot before or during first growth, and I dislike potting in Autumn although many swear by it. This I think is just a question of damp soil all winter aggravating new roots, so it's for me, and I don't advise people not to repot in Autumn.

This year is so early, even the Tulip tree (Liriodendron) is in bloom now, and many of the potted maples finished their first growth in mid or even early May; so I am in full repot mode, which typically continues until early July for some. In a very few cases I will repot in September.

'Shishigashira' likes full sun in the ground, it is a very tough maple. In the pot I'd give it a little shade during the highest sun. It's also very wind tolerant. But yours is going to be fine no matter whether you repot immediately or wait: it didn't get that caliper sitting around and moping!

cheers, -E

dicky5ash and Luke’s Maples like this.
  9. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hi. I have a Shishigashira that is a similar size, but maybe a bit younger. It is in a 30ltr pot and it was on a concrete patio. It took full sun last summer without blinking an eye. This year is in a shadier spot but is exposed to the wind. Over the last few weeks we have had strong dry winds and it is the only tree I have that isn’t showing any signs of damage. It is very tough indeed. Over the past 8 years or so I have repotted at any and all times of the year and never had any issues. They are more robust than we sometimes give them credit.

You have a real beauty there. It will knock your socks off in October/November.

dicky5ash likes this.
  10. dicky5ash

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated..more often than not I repot larger trees immediately, unless the trees have come from dedicated/reliable JM nurseries like Hippopottering...

Re the wet mulchy wet peat used by lesser nurseries..I totally agree, all too often I’ve taken trees from the original plastic nursery pots and found a mushy wet mess in the bottom, which I always gently remove...typically it just falls away!

This year has been quite an odd one for me in that 4, 60cm trees I bought in November (2 Wilson’s pink and 2 little princess) which I repotted immediately upon purchase, leafed out beautifully in early April and looked very strong, have suddenly dropped their leaves and died over the past 4 weeks..very strange, I dont think I’ve over watered either..strange. These were end of season bargains that I would have thought would have snuffed it during winter if they were going to die. I wonder whether it was a culmination of an extremely mild winter, if you can call it a winter, followed by a very wet early spring.

11. AlainK

It's really a matter of feeling : when you begin to "know maples" (and other trees), you can repot them almost any time before the temperatures are close to zero (for those who don't use decimal measuments, smthg like 35-40 F, just above freezing).

Actually some bonsai nurserymen in Japan repot their maples in June, which sounds like heresy for the majority of bonsai enthusiasts in the western world. Of course the climate in the north and in the south of Japan is not exactly the same, but June is usually a very rainy, warm month.

I sometimes repot some of my maple bonsai in June too : don't tell them or they'll crucify me !

^_^

0soyoung and dicky5ash like this.
  12. dicky5ash

So I’ve eventually found a suitable clay pot..and had a look at the state of play in terms of the root mass..it’s totally pot bound but seems to be very dense fine roots rather than circling large roots which I find sometimes is the case.. I’m going to soak it in rain water to try and loosen it for a few hours then pot it up..

I’ve done this tens of times previously but not generally when a tree is looking so perfect, in June so am feeling rather cautious.

Typically I cut a number of V wedges vertically, from top to bottom of the root mass around the circumference of the root mass so 4 or 5 around the tree 2cm deep incisions, so to get some air in, and 2cm off the bottom..avoiding any large roots if possible.

I don’t know what others on here do but this has worked for me previously..just a bit nervous with this one

AlainK likes this.
  13. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon again R, I would be very cautious about re potting during this extreme heat. I know you said it's pot bound, but it is a beauty and I am concerned for it's welfare this week if you move it now. It is cooler next week, so put it off until then !!!??
    I'm not trying to be negative R.
    Regarding getting air inside, I use a Bonsai root cleaning tool to open up the roots, then trim and tidy before placing in new compost mixture that I put together myself.
    Good luck whatever you do, look forward to seeing your update.

dicky5ash likes this.
  14. dicky5ash

Good afternoon D. Yes agreed it’s far too hot right now..I’ll do as you suggest.

Acerholic likes this.
  15. AlainK

Much too hot now, I agree : here, it's over 30° this afternoon. When I repot in June, I do it when the day temperatures don't go higher than 21-22°

If you think your tree is pot-bound and there's arisk for it to suffer from the heat, I'd suggest you to just slip-pot it in a container that is wider (say 3 cm from the rim of the present pot) and complete with 100% coarse inorganic soil (lava rock 5-7 mm is the best). Then put 1 or 2 cm of fine compost : it will gradually bring some nutrient to the roots while allowing them to "breathe".

Next spring you can do a proper reopotting when the buds are about the open. You can even trim a lot of roots without the tree to suffer.

dicky5ash and Acerholic like this.
  16. dicky5ash

Thanks Alain that sounds perfect

AlainK likes this.