Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@dangerine49, Hi J, have you noticed they are turning earlier this year where you are? Definitely are here.
    Lovely rich Summer colours you have posted and it's not June yet !!!!!!

D

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Ah, at least for this one do we have a vernacular name, actually several :

"L'érable à feuilles d'obier, érable d'Italie ou érable Duret ou ayard" (Wikipedia)

Before checking, I had heard the name "Erable d'Italie" (Italian maple), I think I read "Erable à feuilles d'obier too", but "Erable Duret" and "Ayard" are new to me.

"Obier" refers to "Viorne obier", Viburnum opulus.

Actually, in the regions where people ued to speak "langue d'oc', its sounds exactly like "aubier". In the north, we have two diffrent Os, , a bit like in "door", and "dog". Surprisingly, there is apparently no translation in vernacular English for "Aubier" on Wikipedia.

Spanish : Albura ("Aubourg" - sounded a bit like aw-boor, is another term used in French, same root)
    Catalan : Albeca
    Italian and Portuguese : Alburno
    German : Splintholmz - ach, we've reached the border between the Romanese world and "Terra incognita"... ;0)

Sorry for the digression. Newly retired language teachers are prone to a second wave of the "wise guy virus". In fact I'm afraid I'm an eternal student. Huh huh.

monicasanchez, Cjart, emery and 2 others like this.
  3. Nik

Nik Contributor

An international assembly, German thyme, French tarragon and CT moss and lichen.
    Also, a Sempervivum arachnoideum that seems to look like a coronavirus.
    I will be heading back to work on Monday, and I will continue following this forum, but perhaps not contributing much.
    Everyone please stay safe and healthy!

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

@AlainK , Hi Alain, we recently retired are a special breed, that's what my children tell me with tongue in cheek!!!!!!

D

5. Acerholic

@Nik , Hi Nik, thanks for cheering us all up with your photos. 'Stay safe yourself'.

D

Nik likes this.
  6. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

This is only my second spring with it and I don't remember last year. I had just started a new job so no historical photographic evidence, although I noticed my Ariadne and Autumn Moons were more orangey last year.

7. AlainK

Fingers crossed, stay safe. And be sure you'll be welcome any time if you mean to pop in again ;-)

Sempervivum : I've had this plain species in the same pot, in the same place, for over 10 years now :

sempervivum_200529a.JPG

And this "Sempervivum arachnoideum" on/in a pozzolane rock, the kind of things bonsai people use as a companion plant for a display :

sempervivum.arachn_200529a.JPG

There are also red ones, among others :

sempervivum.rouge_120831a.jpg sempervivum.rouge_120624b.jpg

We call these "Joubarbe", or "Barbe de jupiter".

But... isn't this supposed to be a "MAPLE forum" ? Oh my, the second wave is striking hard... ;°D

Back to maples. Acer cappadocicum (courtesy of Emery) and Acer cappadocicum 'Rubrum', the latter bought in a garden center. The 'rubrum' is actually not so different from the plain species, the new leaves are more red, but the difference is in the colour of the bark on young branches. Plain species close to yellow, 'rubrum', dark red :

acer-cappadocicum_200529a.jpg acer-cappadoc_200529a.jpg acer-cappadoc-rubrum_200529a.jpg

8. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Nik, be careful there's a lot of knuckleheads out there. I went back to selling cars two weeks ago.

Nik likes this.
  9. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

@AlainK I have also heard Érable Néapolitain, after the old illegitimate name sometimes encountered in French arboreta, Acer neapolitanum, itself a bastardization of A. italum var. neapolitanum, which is a synonym for A. opalus ssp obtusatum (Willdenow) Gams (1925). But wait, and hold the phone! Because

@monicasanchez your tree is not Acer opalus at all!! Instead it is the _very rare_ species Acer granatense Boissier (1838), which until recently was called Acer opalus ssp hispanicum. Not a rare maple (not endangered or anything) in its range, but excruciatingly rare in collections, practically non-existent. I bought one once that turned out to be a Norway Maple, have never seen it even offered for sale since. So congratulations on having this wonderful maple!

Here is another of the "Intermarché" series of A. cappadocicum, putting out nice reticulated red growth yesterday to contrast with the yellow leaves.

Attached Files:

10. AlainK

It's sometimes surprising what we can find in supermarkets.

My latest acquisition was A. shirasawanum 'Aureum' : I went looking for a bag of cement, but they were out of stock. They also have a kind of garden center at "Brico-marché" so I went to have a look and they had several for 19.95 €.

Same for my 'Ryusen' that I bought in England for something like 15 € when looking for sandwiches on my way back to France.

dangerine49 likes this.
  11. ryanskarma

ryanskarma New Member

Nik,
    I've been growing orchids for 15 years and was my first plant passion! I have since downsized my collection significantly in lieu of conifers and JM as I find them to be more hands off and my young children have demanded most of my time as of late. I still have a few that I can't get rid of though. I think you're backyard is amazing! we have a lot of wildlife in our yard also but those rocks are really something special. would be a weeping conifers dream to cascade down those massive boulders! great pics!

12. Acerholic

@AlainK, sometimes when we search and search we can't find what we are looking for. Then as you say a maple appears as if by magic for us to take home with us. Then we have to make excuses why we have yet another maple !!!!

13. ryanskarma

ryanskarma New Member

how are you acquiring seedlings? finding? buying online? local nurseries?

14. Acerholic

@ryanskarma, Hi Ryan just saw your question to Nik. All three options tbh.
    But finding is by far the most fun IMO.
    If you see the post earlier today from @LoverOfMaples, you will see how many you can grow in a small area and you never know what will come up.
    You may see seeds advertised on Ebay etc, but I've never had any success with these purchases.
    The Maple Society does a seed exchange each year from members for members. This is far more reliable.

D

ryanskarma likes this.
  15. Acerholic

@ryanskarma, Hi Ryan, this is a chance JM seedling I found in my garden two years ago. As I said you never know what will come up. It doesn't have any characteristics of any of my trees at all.

Attached Files:

AlainK, zfrittz, wind-borne and 2 others like this.
  16. Acerholic

And one more different seedling I have , this one is doing well and it shows that you just never know what will pop up.
    So if you get a chance 'grow a seedling', you will not be sorry you did.

Attached Files:

AlainK, zfrittz and monicasanchez like this.
  17. ryanskarma

ryanskarma New Member

wow they're all so unique. I would love to grow a seedling. I check all my plants each year for them and find a fair amount of conifer seedlings I grow but still yet to find one from my maples. I plan to venture to the garden i told you about soon and they've offered to let me collect as many as I like for a small fee so hopefully that will prove fruitful! if so ill be sure to post them here in hopes we might all enjoy them. I would be interested to take advantage of the exchange program the society offers, but i have none of my own to trade. can I purchase seedlings on the exchange if I join?

18. Acerholic

@ryanskarma, Hi Ryan, the seed distribution is advertised to 'members' during Autumn /Fall each year. You don't have to send in your own, but can receive at a small postage fee. I am unsure what will happen in 2020.
    It is a matter of waiting to hear in the Autumn newsletter if and when it will take place.

ryanskarma likes this.
  19. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

@ryanskarma and @Acerholic , the current plan is to maintain the seed distribution this year. I think the main question will probably be whether we can send seed to N. America, or whether the NAB (north american branch) will need to organize separately. Traditionally the International Maple Society has been the organizer or the distribution. We also get a lot of seed collected from Westonbirt, which I think has formed the backbone of the program.

Seedlings are a passion of mine, I've been meaning to launch a thread on those we've kept and nurtured I'll attach 2 pictures of one of mine I took within the last couple of days, looking a nice dark pink. Nothing worth naming, just a great garden maple.

Wow our Brico has nothing like cappadocicum, we're lucky if the rooted cuttings from Holland are still alive! :) I went to get dog food a week ago or so, it was a disaster and I ran into a queue which took me about an hour to get through, it was boiling hot and with the mask and gloves I was sweating like crazy. Everyone thought I was deadly sick, I suspect. Pic attached also, the line went on for about 200m after the bend. Of course no network to even text my wife waiting in the car!

Attached Files:

AlainK, ryanskarma, Cjart and 3 others like this.
  20. AlainK

I don't wear a mask and gloves, but I have some gel that I use before and after buying something.

A friend came to my house today, she asked if she should wear a mask. I said no, we won't hug and kiss, so that's al right. You know, good friends, even men, hug and kiss here, the way they do in Sicilia. We spent two hours chatting, and I'm sure she didn't leave with that frigging virus. Only with an elm, some rhodohypoxis, mini-hostas, white mint (the one with big leaves), and Corsican mint.

It's so weird wearing a mask. Went to the pharmacy this morning for my eye-drops, and I bought 20 masks because I'm longing to take the tram and go to the cinema !

Back to maples. A "bonsai" from seed :

August 2015 :

acerp-nonid04_150809a.jpg

Today :

acerp-nonid04_200529a.jpg

Does it look like a "real" tree ?

ryanskarma, Cjart, zfrittz and 3 others like this.
  21. Acerholic

These are some of my named babies and seedlings. Photo from March and today.
    I haven't lost one this year, so fingers crossed they will do well now. If they get past at least 3 years then I expect them to do fine.

Attached Files:

sun, ryanskarma, AlainK and 3 others like this.
  22. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Hello.

@Acerholic plant seeds and see how trees grow, it is wonderful. Although buying plants and having them in the garden is also very interesting hahaha

I'm glad you liked the photos of my '' garden project '' :)

@AlainK interesting the information provided, about the vernacular names of the Acer opalus. Very curious the story they 'hide' :)

Acer monspessulanum does very well in temperate climates in Spain, but in the Balearic Islands ... it costs.

By the way, precious Sempervivum, but your bonsai is amazing.

@Emery amazed I am right now haha I understand, correct me if I'm wrong, that the Acer granatense is a subspecies of Acer opalus, that is: Acer opalus subsp granatense.

That is the only native maple in Mallorca. Of course, it grows only in the northwest of the island, in the Sierra de Tramuntana, where the climate is about 4 degrees cooler than in the south. In any case, more reasons to pamper him.

I love your Acer cappadocium. What is its size, out of curiosity?

Today's photo is a mix: Seyriu and Atropurpureum.

20200530_110006.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  23. Acerholic

@monicasanchez, good morning Monica, what a lovely photo and a perfect combination of colours.
    I agree with you, buying is a lot of fun aswell, Lol

monicasanchez likes this.
  24. Acerholic

Three combinations in full sun in my garden a few minutes ago. Skeeters broom and Reticulatum, Geisha gone wild and Jordan, Red Flash and Going green. @monicasanchez photo inspired me take these.

Attached Files:

AlainK, dangerine49, Cjart and 4 others like this.
  25. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Acerholic, your photos of maples are very very very beautiful!

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Acerholic likes this.