Replanting on the ground of a diseased maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Roy Sinn, May 27, 2020.

1. Roy Sinn

Roy Sinn Member

I've heard from a couple of gardeners that you should never plant a maple on the same ground where another maple that had died. I would think it matters why the maple died and how long you wait to replant. Has anyone else heard of this advice? Comments?

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Not just maples. You should not plant a rose where another has died. You should not plant a rhododendron where another has died. Etcetera. The rationale is that the cause of death could be pathogens in the soil - perhaps specific to the particular plant that died there. These tend to linger in the soil, sometimes for years and could likely kill the next maple/rose/rhodo/etc. planted in the same spot.

What I have done in a location where a rhodo died of apparent root rot was to plant another in a large pot set on bricks so it didn't touch the soil beneath. It is a bit of a compromise but . . .

Roy Sinn likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Roy Sinn, I agree with @Margot. I have in the past replanted a maple in the same location, but only after removing all the soil from the area and replacing with fresh soil to avoid recontamination. As this was a skip full, I didn't do it again. IMO I would plant something else in the space.

4. Roy Sinn

Roy Sinn Member

Margot & Acerholic - thanks for your advice. It's a shame when you've found the perfect place for a particular plant and then can't put it in that place anymore. But, worse yet, is to watch yet another die.

Acerholic likes this.
  5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Hey, Acerholic, what does "skip full" mean?

Roy Sinn likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@wcutler, Hi Wendy, I don't know what you call it there in Canada.
    It's when a lorry drops off a large bucket style container on your driveway, you then fill it with whatever. It is then collected by the company and taken away. You can get different sizes btw.
    I expect every country has a different word for it, Lol.

D

Roy Sinn, LoverOfMaples and wcutler like this.
  7. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Here they're referred to as dumpsters or waste disposal bins, delivered to your home for a certain number of days by a truck (lorry).

Roy Sinn and LoverOfMaples like this.