My little corners of Japanese influence in my garden

Discussion in 'Japanese Gardens' started by Acerholic, May 3, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi , I thought I would share a couple of photos of my Japanese influenced parts of my garden. I do love the relaxing feel of this area.
    We all need some stress free places during these difficult times.
    Hope you all like it.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

As many of us cannot get out atm, I thought I would add these two photos I took one year ago today at Kingston Lacy Dorset UK, of a Japanese Tea Garden. Hope you all enjoy the relaxation of the photos and do hope @Davethefish likes them; it hasn't got a bridge like yours!!!

Attached Files:

Keith Elliott and zfrittz like this.
  3. Acerholic

My Hostas are coming up in my little shady Japanese area. Took a photo of this one this morning amongst the maples. Its 'White feather', I planted it last Autumn. More are just showing, as are the ferns.
    Hope you like this one.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

Another one that is pretty in my little Japanese area amongst the bark is, Hosta Fire and Ice.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

Close to my Japanese maple Ukigumo close to my stone Japanese lantern, is Hosta 'Marmalade'. I really love the markings on this one, hope you do to.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

This is just coming up in my little Japanes area close to the lantern, it's called Hosta 'Praying hands'. Quite a rare one I believe.
    IMO carefully placed Hostas in a Japanese themed area look just right. I have also covered the area in chipped bark to give that wooded area look.
    Hope you all agree that it looks OK.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

A large unknown named green with pale edges Hosta is overlooked by a stone Japanese lantern in a brighter Japanese themed corner of my garden, which is also surrounded by Japanese maples. IMO it doesn't have to be shaded to be of a Japanese style. But you may think differently.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

This one is so cute in a Japanese themed garden, it is called 'Mouse Ears', I have it by an upturned old tree stump that I dug out from a dead tree I had last Autumn. My grandchildren think it's cute so that's good enough for me. They do have to go careful where they tread though, Lol.

Attached Files:

9. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Acerholic, that looks lovely. I like that 'Mouse Ears' hosta.

10. Acerholic

Hi @wcutler, thankyou Wendy, I'm trying to show that everyone can have a small Japanese area without it looking like it was purchased from a DIY store. Re the Mouse Ears, it does get a lot of favourable comments from friends and family. Glad you like it too.

Just to add, my wife and I are on the lookout for Cherry trees to photograph next Spring to add to your Ornamental Cherry tree forum.

11. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

OK - looking for ornamental cherries trees is a great spring pastime. You can start a thread in Ornamental Cherries called Cherries in England or something like that.

12. Acerholic

Will do Wendy. Thanks.

13. Acerholic

A Japanese themed area does not have to be dull, I have brightened up my small area with one white Azalea ('Diamond White'). It is flanked by Hostas (shown earlier) and Japanese Maples. Hope you like it.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

Here is Athyrium Niponicum 'Painted Lady' fern in my Japanese influenced area.
    Ferns together with Hostas and Maples are a good combination, giving a relaxed mood in a small area.
    Everything is carpeted in chipped bark to give a cool woodland look.
    I will post other ferns later.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

Another new one this year for me is Athyrium Niponicum ' Metalicum'.
    This has been planted close to White Feather Hosta to compliment each other.
    My idea is for it to lead your eyes into to the Japanese area to explore, however small it is.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

My final fern in my Japanese area is, Athyrium Niponicum ' Burgundy Lace.
    This has been planted to highlight the old upside down tree stump and is perfectly suited to a small area, which this is.

Hopefully my tips for a Japanese themed area has given everybody an idea that it can be done IMO tastefully and doesn't need to cost a fortune.
    My wife and I enjoy the relaxing feel of this part of our garden, which is so important to us all atm. Hope you all agree.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  17. Acerholic

Another Hosta that has now started to look nice in my little Japanese area is Hosta 'Flavocircinalis' This will go very blue throughout the Summer and adds to the cooling effect.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

Hi, I now have another Azalea that has come out on flowers in my Japanese influenced area. It is perfectly named 'Geisha' , it has double flowers and is a favourite of my wife's. Hope you like it too.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

This is a hint of a lantern in this area with a large unamed Hosta and just a glimpse of a Japanese lantern. Various Japanese red maples, Beni Maiko and Autopurporeum stand out amongst the greens.
    I do find that turning a corner and just seeing something different in the distance gives interest no matter how small an area is.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

OK, this is Cornus Kousa China girl (originated in China, Japan and Korea), it is a lovely contrast with the dark leaves of acer palmatum Autopurporeum in my Japanese area. Just another subtle way of adding a little brightness and cool look with the light green foliage in my little Japanese area. Hope you like it.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

But sometimes there has to be something that is deepest Burgandy red in the Japanese area, this is a 'compact' Japanese maple Acer palmatum Kandy kitchen. Really suitable for a small area.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

Grasses are also something to consider in a small Japanese area. Here is mine. Hakonechloa macra alba. On the dark chipped bark it shows up nicely.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

Another grass that looks so good in a Japanese garden is the Japanese blood grass 'Red Baron'.
    I have it in another part of my garden, but will be planting it my themed area this year to give a sense of brightness.

Attached Files:

Keith Elliott, zfrittz and wcutler like this.
  24. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

Hello D,
    You have a beautiful garden and it is pleasant to see the changes and improvements you do from time to time.
    Must be really relaxing to walk around and watch it during the four seasons.

I do enjoy really much the grasses, ferns and azaleas ( I may steal some ideas for myself in the future).

Thank you for sharing and please, keep updating this post with pictures in spring.

Acerholic likes this.
  25. Acerholic

I will be very glad to update and share my garden with you I. The fantastic thing about this forum is that we can all help each other with ideas. Thankyou for your very kind comments, it is much appreciated.

Keith Elliott and Shin-Deshojo like this.