Favorite places to buy young JM

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ryanskarma, May 21, 2020.

1. ryanskarma

ryanskarma New Member

Hi all! curious about everyone's favorite places online or B&M to buy young Japanese maples. I love the variety available online but have struggled to find a website that I thought was reasonable with shipping figured into price. Most of my purchases so far have been from local nurseries when they have sales but typically plants are in pretty bad shape when they go on sale (not too many nurseries in Oklahoma USA good with JM) eager to hear everyone's options! Thanks for reading

Attached Files:

Cjart likes this.
  2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi @ryanskarma , the issue with buying mail order is that often the maples are raised in an area of the country very different from your climate. It's not necessarily a major problem, but you need to be careful to take some time to acclimatize your new maple to your locality.

There's a list of maple nurseries in the US that do mail order retail on the FAQ. Offhand, I know and trust the quality of MrMaple, (Nichols Brothers), Samantha Hatch, Lucille Whitman, Carl Munn (not sure if he does retail). There are many others, check the list, that's just what comes to me off the top of the head.

Maybe some of out US folks can comment? Cheers, -E

ryanskarma likes this.
  3. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I prefer to buy locally but I've had some good luck with Sooner Plant Farm in OK.

ryanskarma likes this.
  4. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I buy local when I can fine something reasonably priced and uncommon. I use Whitman Farm (Lucile) and MrMaple (Tim and Matt).

ryanskarma likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@ryanskarma , re our discussion earlier about adding to collection. Red Flash is very happy in the heat and sun. This one has been in place for 30 years in full sun and grows well.

Attached Files:

Cjart and ryanskarma like this.
  6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

ryanskarma likes this.
  7. ryanskarma

ryanskarma New Member

emery likes this.