Epipactis helleborine

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Margot, May 23, 2020.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Epipactis showed up from nowhere in my garden a few years ago. There was only one little plant at first and I let it go hoping it might be Epipactis gigantea, a rare native plant in my area. Well, now I know better and I read that it is considered invasive in many areas.

I'd be interested in hearing any experiences or comments other gardeners on this Forum might share.

Attached Files:

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Interesting - and way more interesting than chores in a rainy day!

So both names you say above are introduced to BC

Although for some reason - the gigantica version has a BC management plan to protect it - i don’t know enough about how plant scientists figure this out - again it would also interesting to know more about that official process for flora and fauna - link below
    EIRS Application - Timeout Page

Then this history from Cambridge Mass (Harvard)
    With due respect to the comment posters - it’s all in eye of beholder I suppose - the Colorado comment

Why do we have blackberries ? And all the broom in bright yellow bloom now? And Russian knapweed in Okanagan ?
    An Unwanted Orchid » Arnold Arboretum

——-
    I suppose you could dig up a few and pot them up in a safe place and see what further happens and meanwhile get rid of the rest of what you think you have — ie the nasty version

I notice there is a known and photographed occurrence of the gigantica at the Roderick Haig Brown BC provincial park —- is that Campbell River ? See BC report link above.
    (NB ÉDIT - thé Roderick Haig Brown Park is nr Adams River BC which makes sense given his dedication to salmon - although he lived in Campbell River BC)

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  3. Margot

Thanks for your comments Georgia Strait.

It is my understanding (from EFlora BC) that Epipactis gigantea is native to BC - not necessarily to my local area - though Campbell River isn't that far away. Interesting that it is not shown on the EFlora interactive map anywhere on Vancouver Island.

Epipactis helleborine
    is introduced - and it seems, showing up in more and more gardens. It evidently spreads by seed. I think I'd better start to remove it before it becomes a problem I can't control especially if the rhizome is difficult to dig up.

4. Georgia Strait

I inherited a patch of orange flower “alstroemeria”

What a nightmare

I mean it’s a pretty flower but it spreads like crazy

I also bought expensive soil loaded w fireweed - another horror - those roots travel!

The bright light is that the hummingbirds and bees love the flowers !

5. Georgia Strait

I MUST CORRECT - the gigantic version is in the Roderick Haig Brown park nr Adams River

I assumed Campbell River - ie his home turf.

If you look at that BC report fr 2013 — lots of sites in Thompson Okanagan - tho I can’t recall seeing it and I am fairly familiar w the popular easily id plants.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Epipactis gigantea can be seen from Highway 1 near Revelstoke, if you know where to look. It is much more common, though (and easier to find) south of the border.

Margot and Georgia Strait like this.
  7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Here's a photo from 5 years ago (plus a day), taken of Epipactis gigantea in Zion National Park... you can tell how it likes wet feet!

Attached Files:

Georgia Strait, Margot and wcutler like this.
  8. Margot

That's a beautiful photo!

9. Margot

I remember when it seemed everyone wanted Alstroemeria and those who planted it, soon regretted it. Same with Romneya coulteri, California tree poppy.

Georgia Strait likes this.