Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi Nik, very interesting locations for your maples there, I love it. They can grow as much as they can and only competing with Mr. Rock but no other maple neighbor, very nice.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Atapi Hi S , in the UK the Cicadas is a protected species and only found in the New Forest in Hampshire. It is not known as a serious threat to trees here due to numbers. I was involved in a large way with wildlife protection in the latter years of my career and in the New Forest, but haven't heard of the Cicadas for a many many years, as it is thought they may now be extinct in the UK. But the numbers that you are talking about could cause a stunting of growth to your trees from the feeding of so many.
    I really wish I could offer some advice to deter them from your trees other than netting. They are quite large, so a fine net (curtain net) could do the job in protecting your trees. They do not live that long as adults, only 'a month', so protecting your trees from them will be only a short time.

Hope this is a little help

D

3. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Was going to buy a Peve Multicolour a few years back and the guy where i tend to buy most of my trees from said , don't bother with this one only good for the spring showing then it's a very plain tree for the rest of the year, so never bothered but do have the Peve Chameleon, had this for years hates been in the ground but in a container looks stunning in the fall months.

Attached Files:

zfrittz, Nik, AlainK and 4 others like this.
  4. Acerholic

@ROEBUK Hi M, that is dazzling. Peve Multicolour stands no chance against that. You made the right choice !!!!!!!!

5. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi Aceroholic and Atapi, and thank you for your comments!
    Yes, my backyard is challenging, but it looks almost like a natural Japanese garden.
    A picture from the end of April, Rhode Island Red is the first thing to leaf out, it suffered some minor leaf damage due to late spring frosts.. I am still not sure it belongs there, again, the natural look. I may have to move it somewhere else...
    My first passion in plants is orchids, I started with Japanese maples three years ago.
    Still trying to learn...
    The wildlife in the area is amazing though..

Attached Files:

6. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

To be totally honest not a great lover of variegated trees and after having the Taylors and Marlo's this left a mental scar for not keeping them :) But i have had all the usual suspects over the years Butterfly , Asahi zuru quite liked this one , but the only one i really bother with now is Oridono nishiki , bought this one purely by chance in a garden centre three years back, looked totally rubbish very little colour etc but had a super branch structure/shape on it and i thought i could do something with this one and it will look nice given time and a little bit of work doing on it. Two pics first one August 2017 when bought, second one today nearly there, little pruning needed for next year and hopefully....

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, zfrittz, Nik and 5 others like this.
  7. Acerholic

I have Butterfly and Orido Nishiki, I would definitely reccomend both. Have had them for many years with no problems. Totally hardy.
    Have posted photos here.

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, zfrittz, Nik and 3 others like this.
  8. Acerholic

Hi @Nik, we have had dogs on this thread , but wolves and bears, WOW !! Not sure what the bird is though.
    Your garden is just amazing. I'm in awe of it tbh.
    The south of England is rather short of that kind of wildlife, just a few blackbirds here.

Great to have you on the thread.

9. Nik

Nik Contributor

The bird is a female ruby throated hummingbird nesting about 20 feet from our kitchen window.
    Deer, rabbits and chipmunks are not friendly to my maples. Luckily hawks and owls take care of the smaller intruders, deer is unchecked, so I have to be creative in terms of maple protection.
    A cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis) growing wild in a stream in our front yard is a magnet for the hummingbirds.

Attached Files:

zfrittz and AlainK like this.
  10. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Wow, your property looks amazing! Where in CT are you located?

11. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I am going to post three Canadian maples.
    The first is Acer negundo, common names Box-Elder or Manitoba Maple. It is supposed to be the only compound-leafed native Canadian maple. The ones in Stanley Park, and here street trees near me, are Parks Board plantings.
    Acer-negundo_1800-1900blkPendrell_Cutler_20200513_190536.jpg Acer-negundo_1800-1900blkPendrell_Cutler_20200513_190738.jpg Acer-negundo_1800-1900blkPendrell_Cutler_20200513_190830.jpg Acer-negundo_1800-1900blkPendrell_Cutler_20200513_191011.jpg Acer-negundo_1800-1900blkPendrell_Cutler_20200513_191438.jpg Acer-negundo_1800-1900blkPendrell_Cutler_20200513_191640.jpg

Acer circinatum, called Vine Maple, though not a vine, is native to southwestern BC. They often seem to be shrubby or at least multi-stemmed trees, not big trees. These are are just inside the Stanley Park border at the end of my West End neighbourhood. I would guess that the Parks Board planted them.
    Here are two different trees, with samaras and flowers.
    Acer-circinatum_StanleyParkBarclay_Cutler_20200521_145349.jpg Acer-circinatum_StanleyParkBarclay_Cutler_20200521_145658.jpg Acer-circinatum_StanleyParkNelson_Cutler_20200521_144948.jpg Acer-circinatum_StanleyParkNelson_Cutler_20200521_145012.jpg

Acer macrophyllum, Big-Leaf Maple, or in Oregon called Oregon Maple, if I remember this correctly, but we don't call it that. It has dinner-plate sized leaves, the largest of any maple and the largest of any native Canadian tree. It has great distinctive bristly hairs on the seed part of the samara. These are two different trees, also just into Stanley Park. So much of Stanley Park was planted - I can't guess whether these might have been here and are some generation of original trees. The first one looks like it might have been coppiced, maybe the second one as well.
    Acer-macrophyllum_StanleyParkComox_Cutler_20200524_170445.jpg Acer-macrophyllum_StanleyParkComox_Cutler_20200524_170532.jpg Acer-macrophyllum_StanleyParkComox_Cutler_20200524_170614.jpg Acer-macrophyllum_StanleyParkComox_Cutler_20200524_170709.jpg
    Acer-macrophyllum_StanleyPark-TennisParking_Cutler_20200525_150611.jpg Acer-macrophyllum_StanleyPark-TennisParking_Cutler_20200525_150629.jpg Acer-macrophyllum_StanleyPark-TennisParking_Cutler_20200525_150645.jpg

12. Acerholic

@wcutler, Good morning Wendy, great photos and great trees. I love the structure and age of older trees. The greens !! if people would just stand and look, as the Victorian plant collectors did and sketch the beautiful leaves. Thank goodness for our cameras.
    This thread had to have the Canadian maples. I've really enjoyed them. Thankyou.
    D

wcutler likes this.
  13. Acerholic

Hi everyone, after Wendy's lovely photos, I thought how about the Amoenum group that do not tend to get a look in much on this thread. I've also added two from the Matsumurae group. As Emery rightly said the other day, there are a certain few that will be around long after the newer varieties have long disappeared. So IMO, let's celebrate them here.

I am fascinated by leaf structure, so my photos tend to be close ups of my trees. These were taken this morning. Hope you don't mind.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  14. Nik

Nik Contributor

Acerholic and dangerine49, thank you!
    Dangerine49, we live in the Stony Creek neighborhood of Branford, CT. About a mile from the water.

Here are some pictures of Beni tsukasa with the change of its spring leaf color.
    Sadly, I lost this tiny plant because an animal (either a chipmunk or a squirrel) severed it at the graft junction. Perhaps I will get a new one.

Attached Files:

15. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Very nice! And I'm impressed by the boulders in your garden, fantastic setting for maples.

16. AlainK

We can see lots of them here, as street trees. Very often they're grafted with a variegated variety that tends to revert after a few years, sometimes planted alternately with red-leaved Acers. Next time I go out, I'll try to take pictures if I remember to take my camera.

Here, they're just called "érable négundo" or "érable négondo". What a lack of imagination ! ^^

17. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes it's odd that there's no common name for the Box Elder here in Europe where they're so common.

I have noticed that the very popular new variety "Flamingo' tends to revert, but some of the older ones like 'Variegatum' (white variegated) or 'Aureomarginatum' are pretty steady. I like them a lot, the males have marvelous flowers and are sometimes used with just the species in our villages.

Of course there are other species of negundo that are much more southerly, reaching Mexico and even Guatemala. I hope to be able to get hold of some seed to these, who's taxonomic status is still quite uncertain. We do grow ssp californicum which has amazing velvety leaves.

Recently working on Prof Tumilowicz paper on maples at Rogow (OSI page) I was interested to see that negundo is quite invasive in Poland and he recommends cutting down anything that's not an "ornamental variety"!

AlainK likes this.
  18. Acerholic

Hi @Nik, 'darned critters', is that how you say it in the US ? Here we have words that can't and shouldn't be used on this forum for our grey Squirrels !!!
    You should get another Beni Tsukasa, it has the most eye catching leaves, as your photo so beautifully shows.

19. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Here are some pictures of the wonderful A. negundo ssp californicum. We are hardwired I think to enjoy certain sensations, and stroking the leaves of this plant is surely one of them! I planted this one in 2015 in a very difficult area, hoping it would deal well with the wet winters dry summers and extremely acidic (4.8) soil, but I guess it's a slave to the rootstock. Still it struggles along, and as I said I hope to get an ungrafted one.
    IMG_20200527_124943_1.jpg IMG_20200527_124958_1.jpg IMG_20200527_125019_1.jpg IMG_20200527_125041_1.jpg
    Here is another strange plant I've been meaning to photograph, the rather unfortunately named A. leucoderme 'Confederate Ghost'. In it's second season here, it got beat up by hail and aphids, but is now starting to take on its variegated summer character.
    IMG_20200527_132334_1.jpg IMG_20200527_132356_1.jpg IMG_20200527_132414_1.jpg IMG_20200527_132448_1.jpg
    @Nik those glacial rocks are awesome, they remind me our old house in Maine near the coast, with granite outcroppings everywhere. Hard to dig!! Funnily enough I've been to Branford and my wife has some great old friends from there, the Mendillos. Small towns, you may even know them, if you've been there a long time.

-E

20. Nik

Nik Contributor

Thanks, AlainK!
    Acerholic, I would usually use much stronger language for the ‘critters’... for most of my little maples I now use chicken wire contraptions, like for this Ukigumo, which was eaten almost to the ground last year by a rabbit.
    Emery, I have been in Branford since 2003. I do not know the Mendillos. The pink granite in the yard is something I really enjoy, although it requires a lot of weeding to keep the moss on top in a decent shape. I just recently took out my cymbidiums in the open, they enjoy the cool breeze flowing down the rocks. I keep them there till mid-late November.
    Another photo of my Sensu, which is my favorite.
    The rest are seedlings, a second year vigorous dark red which seems to be holding its color well so far, and first year newcomers... I find myself appreciating the seed-grown maples more and more. I keep them in pots only during their first summer, then they are on their own in the ground (between the rocks, to be precise).

Attached Files:

21. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Small world @Nik and @emery. I use to live in CT and work in Branford. I still visit a few times a year to visit friends and pickup my pine bark mulch from Van Wilgen's. I can't find it anywhere in RI.

22. Acerholic

@Nik , I love seedlings too. You just never know what will come up. We should all concentrate more on these IMO,
    Re your chicken wire, wonder what the black bear would make of it !!!

23. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi D., love the pics. Q: how big is the Fujinami Nishiki will be?. I have one and grow quite fast but look quite elegant for a bloodgood family. I want to keep it but not sure how tall it will be, right now it is about 7-8ft tall and got it for about 4-5 yrs ago.

24. Acerholic

@Atapi , Good afternoon S, I keep ours small due to where it is in my garden. It can grow to 8ft, so yours is about there IMO.
    Would love to see a photo of it??

D

25. AlainK

Nik,
    I suppose that the soil between the rocks must be rather acidic, which is good for "Japanese maples" which come from an island with mainly volcanic rock.

Here, it's a horse of a different colour - a phrase I love, I heard it when I watched the Wizzard of Oz for the first time ;°)

Along the Loire valley, mainly north of the river, there's about 30-40 cm of soil, and underneath there's limestone, "calcaire de Beauce". See the "Chateaux de la Loire", they're all white, not brick-red like some mansions in the UK for instance.

Anyway, I don't have enough space to plant my trees in the garden, so keeping them in a pot is a better option.

And considering that we're going to a semi-tropical dry climate, I put most of my trees in (partial) shade. Here is an 'Emerald Lace' and a Shir. 'Autumn Moon', with a 'Rainbow' in the middle. They're protected from the morning sun on the right by a Tamarix, and a Vitex agnus-castus further back, and in the afternoon by the branches of a big Prunus pissardii.

The low wall (50 cm) is made of the stones one finds in the garden when digging a patch for tomatoes, or that can be collected on the banks of the river when the Loire is low.

acerp-emerald_200527a.jpg

PS:
    Vitex agnus-castus : beautiful flowers later in the season...