Dichroa febrifuga UBC Guizhou clone

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Renew, May 24, 2020.

1. Renew

Renew Active Member 10 Years

I bought this plant from UBC famous spring sales, now ended, back in 2011. It is planted under a Japanese maple to the north of our house. Over time the maple has grown immensely and the neighbor has planted trees also shading our garden.
    I want to transplant the diminishing Dichroa to a more open bed, with open shade but not much direct sunlight. When can I do this? Now? It looks like there is more dead wood than live wood on it now.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Wait until November or end of winter. Try to find a warm, bright position for it.

3. Renew

OK the position will be bright, but it won't be under protective tree branches, so I don't know how warm. It will be near blueberries, a hedge, a tall rhodo (neighbour's). The Dichroa febrifuga UBC clone is supposed to be more hardy....

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The one at UBC that is doing the best is in a slightly open area, exposed to the sun in the afternoons throughout the year.

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Dichroa is now considered to be a Hydrangea, so the accession has been renamed Hydrangea febrifuga.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  6. Renew

Good to know Daniel, because where I will be putting it gets several hours of afternoon sun.