Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning, with Spring bank holiday weekend upon us, it means that a season is coming to an end. But what colour we have had. I thought I would post some of mine that cheered me up the most in my garden in March /April 2020.

Attached Files:

sun, 0soyoung, zfrittz and 6 others like this.
  2. Acerholic

And what about May!!!? Near record high temperatures, overnight rogue frosts, 40mph winds, no rain and still on lockdown, but our maples have still given us a cheerful sight as always. Here are a few of my selection of colour from my garden for the last month of a very different May.
    How about your selection from this Spring 2020 ??

Attached Files:

sun, kgeezy20, 0soyoung and 7 others like this.
  3. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Yes, this maple withstands a bit of direct sun in my area, and only if it is early in the morning or late in the afternoon, but it grows much better in shade.

Your maples are beautiful despite the heat.

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Morning, while we are on this subject. I was told Ojishi is the female lion in companion with Shishigashira. Does any one see any different between the two or it is just another hybrid looks similar to Shishi?.

5. Acerholic

Hi @Atapi , there is a very good thread on this subject on the UBC.
    Shishigashira (Lion's Head/Mane JM) - Ojishi vs Mejishi.

6. Acerholic

@Atapi , thinking about this I recall I believe it was @emery or @ROEBUK saying about nurseries creating collections etc to encourage us to buy more (ghosts) I think he said, even though the similarity is so very very close, we would not tell the difference without a tag to tell us otherwise. I have fallen into that trap tbh.
    Just a thought!!

7. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Afternoon to you, Acerholic. I want to keep cheering you up by posting a few more photos that I took in mid-Apr 2017 while visiting Washington DC Arboretum in the Maples section. I was in awe and in love and didn't want to leave after a couple hours...
    I recalled someone has posted his pics when visited this place way back in our forum under the maples cultivar categories but here are mine. BTW, if the time&condition is right when you are in DC, let me know I will take you to visit this place again.

Attached Files:

sun, 0soyoung, zfrittz and 6 others like this.
  8. Acerholic

@Atapi , beautiful photos and I must say the kindness and comradeship of this maples forum leaves me quite emotional and speechless. Thankyou.

9. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

It's always my pleasure. Sincerely,
    Here are a few more: with one incl. my wife and my daughter's dog - she is a Shiba Inu rescue.

Attached Files:

sun, AlainK, 0soyoung and 5 others like this.
  10. Acerholic

dangerine49 likes this.
  11. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

To quote 'Arthur': "Fun is the best thing to have."

Some cool shapes this morning...

Attached Files:

sun, LoverOfMaples, AlainK and 6 others like this.
  12. Acerholic

And who would disagree with Dudley Moore. !!!!

13. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I don't have it, but according to Vertrees 'O jishi' is the male lion in traditional Japanese theatre, whereas 'Mejishi' (which is a synonym for 'Shishigashira' ) is the female. Of course, these trees are monoecious like all Acer palmatum, and so both male and female.

@Atapi those are magnificent, thanks. I've visited the DC Arboretum but only in winter, so a real pleasure to see them. Interesting the 'Beni shi en', this is probably the largest I've seen, looks remarkably un-variegated. While trying to get hold of this one I was sort of warned off, I wonder if this is why?

I don't think I've shared any late spring pictures of the Shaggy Barked Maple Acer triflorum here, so here are a few taken a couple of days ago. It's a very dense crown, so a good shade tree.

Attached Files:

14. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Wanted to share some pictures of one of the maples I started with and planted when it was about 6-8 inches tall. It has been pretty carefree and has seen neighboring trees die but it just carries on. It is Acer palmatum ‘Mon zukushi’. Guess it’s an old variety and pretty sturdy. It is having a moment of being really striving this spring before it fades into the background for the rest of the summer.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

Hi @Cjart , so glad you did take the photos to share. Also, isn't it strange that a maple you think wont make it does and others that should, don't !!

16. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Yes. This year I lost an 8 ft tall Amber Ghost that I thought was doing great and I have a dying Acer conspicuum Phoenix that was planted last fall. It’s interesting that it doesn’t discourage me from trying again! I think gardeners are generally optimistic gamblers!

17. Acerholic

Optimistic always optimistic!!!!!
    An 8ft Amber ghost lost, that would certainly bring me down from the tea party by the ceiling. (Mary Poppins), before anybody talks about my sanity, lol

18. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

But I planted a little one about 12 inches tall in more shade so you could say I am learning slowly! And it helps to cheer me up to try again. As they say “cheaper than therapy!

19. Acerholic

Lol yes very true.

20. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

That was actually emery who commented on the ghost series, you are so right it's reaching a stage where it's becoming so difficult to differentiate between the various cultivars now and i have actually cut back on numerous ghost/reticulates of various names and now only have Amber Sister and Purple in the ghost line all the other family members have gone , these three are so easily identifiable and i found i don't need the others to confuse matters, because they do change from year to year where as the first three mentioned come out year after year with the exact same colours and leaf markings.Yes people will say they have no problems with theirs but i have found there is a vast difference between the US and the European counterparts of ghosts. Plus i also have the older reliable aka shigitatsusawa , Shigitatsusawa ,Kasagi yama and Mikazuki which keep me occupied through out the year, so i don't really miss the others, have enough reticulate pleasure with these.

sun likes this.
  21. Acerholic

@ROEBUK , Hi M, ah I thought it was one of you, but I see you are of the same opinion. Hopefully this thread might be able to point people in the right direction when looking at maples to buy, that marketing makes you think you have to buy a latest cultivar, that in reality isn't really that new or different from what you already have at home in your garden.

22. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Have both and there is a huge difference between the two , the ojishi 'male lion' and Mejishi 'female lion' or shishigashira just the naming and nothing to do with the sex of a tree. The Ojishi is the much slower grower of the two , had this one for well over ten years and to be honest it's been in the ground twice and in all these years it's only grown about 12" in height and about the same also in width, where now it's back in a container for the last three years and seems quite happy, have found also i don't get the same 'wow' factor in the fall with it's colours compared to it's counterpart the Mejishi /shisigashira which is just awesome come the back end of November. This one i bought years back now when i first started with maples it was only around 18" when planted out and it's now in the region of 9 foot in height so it must be in the region of twenty years old , but these do grow very well and keep the well known shape akin to a large V never pruned or touched it re it's growth , just remove the odd small inner die back branches every fall. In the pictures the two cultivars with differing colour tones, the shishigashira as more of a vibrant golden red where the other is a more subdued yellow gold.

Attached Files:

sun, zfrittz, 0soyoung and 2 others like this.
  23. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi M, that is exactly what happens to me the last few years. So you know now why I have so many strap leaf maples. LOL
    So this year I am going to let go many of those are the same one or look similar...

24. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Sorry I meant to type D instead of M. :))

25. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi M, gorgeous trees. I always love the falls color of Shishi. I followed your step digging my Ojishi from ground and put it into pot last winter. It looks a bit happier so let see if it grows more than the last three years when it is in the ground, there is not much growth at all.

ROEBUK likes this.