HOW DO I BRING A HYDRANGEA BACK TO LIFE . I HAD IT ONLY 9 MONTHS

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Jeanna Nelson, May 21, 2020.

1. Jeanna Nelson

Jeanna Nelson New Member

I bought this hydrangea, May of last year. It did fine when I planted it, grew flowers and was fine during the winter . then when summer came it hasn't even a bud or anything coming on it is just sticks. I don't know what to do I was feeding it Miracle grow for flowers that need an acidity to their diet.

PLEASE HELP .

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sorry but apparently it died at some point

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

It looks to me, in the first 2 pictures, as though you have scratched the bark and found the cambium layer is green. If that is so, I would give your hydrangea a few more weeks to produce some new growth. I hate to admit this but I tried to kill an old hydrangea last year - much too big to dig up - by cutting all the branches right down to the ground and painting concentrated Roundup on the cut ends. This spring it has put out all kinds of new growth from the root. I tell you this, risking the wrath of the anti-Roundup crowd, to illustrate the fact that hydrangeas don't die easily and there may still be hope for yours.

rko likes this.
  4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

May be you didn't use strong enough Roundup concentrate Margot?

5. Margot

Thanks for your suggestion, Sundrop. What I have is Roundup Super Concentrate - 356 grams of glyphosate per litre. "Can be used to treat stumps and prevent regrowth." I have used it successfully to eradicate Daphne laureola and Hedera helix but, for some reason, the Hydrangea was not killed outright. Maybe because I felt so guilty to unlove it. Used responsibly, Roundup saves time and back injury.

For others reading this, Robert Pavlis has recently posted an overview of controversies regarding Roundup on his Garden Myths website:
    https://www.gardenmyths.com/truth-roundup-glyphosate/#more-6898

The comments following it are very thought-provoking.

6. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link Margot, although I am not especially interested in this level of literature.

Personally, I don't use any -cides. The health of the Planet and my own health are too important to me to take any risks.
    What is your approach is your choice though. And don't worry, you are in the majority. According to The National Center for Biotechnology Information website "Over 1 billion pounds of pesticides are used in the United State (US) each year and approximately 5.6 billion pounds are used worldwide" (Definition of pesticide: “chemical substances used to prevent, destroy, repel or mitigate any pest ranging from insects (i.e., insecticides), rodents (i.e., rodenticides) and weeds (herbicides) to microorganisms (i.e., algicides, fungicides or bactericides)”)

Good luck! It is your choice. But I don't think it is right to recommend the use of any -cides to other people.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  7. Margot

8. Jeanna Nelson

Jeanna Nelson New Member

Thank you all for your advise. I will wait another month and see if it comes to life.