Problem with dianthus firestar

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Lilith, May 20, 2020.

1. Lilith

Lilith Member

I planted two dianthus in containers and water very infrequently- one is blooming and flowers look nice but both are turning yellow in center, pics attached

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi @Lilith, I used to have a lot of Dianthus, as the scent is wonderful, 'but' and here is the but, mine all went the way of yours, browning in the middle. Once you see this IMO the roots have already died from root rot.
    I have heavy clay soil so excessive rain on top of this is a killer for these in my garden.
    Dianthus originate in a dry climate with good drainage, you have to replicate these conditions for a healthy plant.
    All is not lost, as you can take cuttings from the healthy parts easily.
    Just pull a stem out of the leaf joint dust in hormone rooting powder and place in a VERY gritty compost.
    They root so easily and you can have 'many' lovely scented plants in the future.
    Hope this is of some help.

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yes - good sun and drainage

One normally sees old successful plants in rockeries and old boulder garden walls.

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Lilith

Lilith Member

Thank you both!

Acerholic, would potting soil for succulents meet the criteria for very gritty compost? I will need to buy hormone rooting powder so can pick up a new soil too but not sure what I would be looking for, the compost available around here is very moist and heavy

I just have cedar planter boxes with drainage holes which isn't working out for the dianthus- was thinking of putting the rootings in Terra cotta planters which may help keep them dry

5. Acerholic

Hi @Lilith, that looks OK for the cuttings. The terracotta pot idea is so much better. I put broken terracotta crocks in the bottom of mine to aid drainage.
    But remember what @Georgia Strait has just said perfectly 'Good sun and Drainage'.
    Good luck for many many years of lovel scent.

6. Georgia Strait

Last time I looked - succulent soil is sold here as cactus soil (I use it for outdoor containers of hen and chicks aka sempervivum)

If you have a bag of perlite — mix w some decent bagged container soil —- that’s a step toward using up items you might have on hand instead of waiting in line or email for curbside. (Covid)

There are homemade cactus soil recipes online (basically ratios)

Make way more cuttings than you think you want to end up with - some don’t survive sometimes

Stim-Root hormone used to be sold in 3 diff numbers .... I have not looked recently — I use #2 for hydrangea cuttings at this time of year.

I see there are various brands avail here at locations ranging fr Cdn Tire to Rona to Lee Valley

I haven’t used any other than the old Stim Root brand (it’s worth a google look around)

Root Stimulator - Lee Valley Tools

7. Georgia Strait

PostScript

I often have better luck in my overall shaded & wet forest garden with specifically BOWL-shape containers for rockery plants I can’t resist

Like this Lewisia - in bloom now in this approx 12 inch diam resin plastic bowl with holes in bottom (made in Canada and bought at Home Depot). I used my own gritty cactus sempervivum mix. I use a really low numbers organic fertilizer and rarely water it (it’s under the overhang of building.)

Édit: thé brand of bowl is Algreen and style is Valencia and it comes in various colors at Home Dépôt Canada
    Algreen Products Valencia 12-inch x 4 1/2-inch H Planter Bowl in Textured Charcoal (2-Pack... | The Home Depot Canada

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  8. Acerholic

9. Georgia Strait

Yes - it’s native maybe not to our part of BC but we do have a native Lewisia in Okanagan (which is dry side of Coast Mtn Ranges)

Named i think after the 1804 Lewis and Clark expedition sent by Prèsident Jefferson to what is now Astoria Oregon

10. Acerholic

@Georgia Strait, history as well, can't get better than that. Thankyou Georgia.

11. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This is being discouraged these days. There are a lot of articles on it - I can't remember the one we've been linking to lately, but here is one:
    No Rocks in Your Pots

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Acerholic likes this.
  12. Acerholic

@wcutler, thanks Wendy. I started doing this 45 years ago after it was recommended by a Percy Thrower (TV Gardiner) and have never stopped. It always made sense to me tbh. I Just read your link and now I must try and change my thinking. Old habits and all that lol.
    That's what I like about the UBC forums, so much new good advice.

Thanks for putting me straight.

13. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Georgia Strait likes this.
  14. Acerholic

@wcutler, Hi Wendy, a myth that has certainly gone around the whole of the gardening world and is still being advised on TV gardening programs.
    But, I will definitely try this over the next couple of years against my old set up to compare results.

Thankyou again

15. Acerholic

Hi @Lilith, I have tried this before with very little success, but you have nothing to lose tbh. If you can separate the good from the dead then you might stand a chance. All I can say is it's worth a try if you dont want to take cuttings.
    Good luck whatever you choose.

16. Lilith

Lilith Member

Thanks Acerholic!

I deleted my recent question because I reread your initial answer after I posted...basically that whole root system is likely rotted & I will take your initial advice of trying cuttings.

Thank you, again

17. Acerholic

18. Puddleton

Puddleton Active Member 10 Years

Once you've struck your cuttings, I suggest raising the ph with lime or dolomite
    Most potting mixes have a ph of 6 ish (some less) get it up to 7 and they'll grow much stronger

19. Lilith

Lilith Member

Thanks for the tip on pH Puddleton

I don't have lime/dolomite handy but seed starter mix I am using has lime in it and I checked the pH and it seems to be around 7

The flowers are just so lovely and fragrant! I've learned so much! Thank you all

Attached Files: