Identification: Calamondin troubles

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Martial69, May 20, 2020.

1. Martial69

Martial69 New Member

Purchased as an early x-mas present, delivered in colder weather, it was placed into a 14" x 15" pot with M.G. Citrus potting soil mixed with vermiculite and perlite, water pH 6.5, only when top 2-3" are relatively dry.

It bloomed twice, but would leave a dark lump once the white flowers dropped. It arrived with what looked like dried water spots on the leaves.

In early March, something killed the entire upper tree, all leaves, branches and down the trunk to the graft point.

Since the root ball was intact, I continued to care for it, recently placing it outside. From around the graft point, several branches have since grown. All the pics are from today, and you can see the "water spots" are definitely not water. I can't figure what though. Some of the leaves have also begun to curl. And all my troubles could easily be multi-factorial.

I should add the pot drains into a large drainage pan filled with small gravel. Until I placed it outside, it was next to a South facing window with no cold drafts I am aware of.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2020
  2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I wonder if you really want to continue to nurture this plant as it appears to be only the rootstock that remains. Having said that I don't see a problem with the current growth. The slight (white) spotting appears to be from water that has dried, along with the dust and such that it had collected before then. Does it wipe off?

3. Will B

Will B Active Member

There does not seem to be any Calamondin left in that plant. It looks like the trifoliate orange rootstock has completely taken over. The spots could be dried sediment from water spots, or it could be fungal, but it does not appear to be harming the trifoliate...