Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Rereading my post it sounded a bit harsh..not intentional..yes you have quite a few options out front and it wouldn’t even need to be Japanese garden orientated if you didn’t want to..when the trees fill out and become much bigger in years to come you could plant helebores..I’m not sure if they grow well in your climate but they do complement JM as they grow under trees naturally and produce beautiful flowers throughout the winter when the JM are bare sticks; a nice alternative focal point. Personally, I dont think they would look out of place in a Japanese style garden..purists would probably say otherwise !!

Regarding sun/wind exposure that is a difficult one..

2. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Nice one there Dangerine, mine is keeping mixed with the green rootstock. I am still reluctant to cut them perhaps I will do like AcerHolic by hand stripping each leaf...

3. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Sango kaku, with neighboring companions

DSCN7794.jpg DSCN7819.jpg

sun, LoverOfMaples, 0soyoung and 4 others like this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi @wind-borne, we are getting to Summer greens now. Sango kaku is not just about the red branching. Your the first to post this. I wonder and hope that we do get a lot of wonderful photos like this over the next 3 months prior to the fiery reds and oranges of Autumn.
    I do like the other trees you have, protecting your maples from the heat of the day.

5. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Here's my Garnet had this for donkey's years bought it has a little standard twg , what's the difference between this and the garnet towers?? have heard of them but... Had this one tucked away round the back of my workshop as a shade tree all these years to protect various reticulates etc etc , and this year have moved it out into the sunshine , and to be honest it doesn't look to bad never seen this in a open area before , always tucked away out of sight. But it's been root pruned and re potted with out fail every three years and this is now the third pot at 50ltr started off in a 10ltr pot, just grows away quite happily but i must admit this year it's certainly starting to develop a more weeping aspect. Pics of last major root prune 2017 and how it looks now (yesterday) A nice cultivar but would love to put this in the ground and watch it really spread down to the ground, not enough room !!

Attached Files:

zfrittz, AlainK, Atapi and 3 others like this.
  6. Acerholic

@ROEBUK, Hi M , now if mine looks like that in a few years, I will be very happy indeed.

7. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Lovely tree, my garnet seems not to be very sun tolerant, I had to move it to a spot that only get sun till 11.30am..was always getting crispy by midsummer..however much I watered it..I’ll share a photo tomorrow..

8. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Strange have found Garnets to be very reliable growers which hold their colours well in the sun, another pic of three red dissectums from three years back left to right Crimson queen , Lionheart , then Garnet all moved on now, had quite a selection of red dissectums then, and for some reason still have !!

Attached Files:

9. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I needed some stamps and when I checked out the US Postal Service website I noticed some new stamps with pics of famous American Gardens. I ordered a couple of sheets.

Attached Files:

Luke’s Maples and Acerholic like this.
  10. vbx

vbx Active Member

Don't worry about it. This is just phase 1.

I actually was going to hire someone to do it, but they wanted 3,500. So I decided to do this myself for $400 including a drip system connected to the sprinkler valve.

The main thing was watering the trees when I wanted to w/o having to hose it myself. So that was accomplished.

I thought adding flowers later down the line. But not sure how it would handle the hot sun. Still browsing the web to get ideas.

11. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

12. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

LoverOfMaples, sorry I don't know the variety but is an azalea.
    About 60+ rhody/azaleas were here when I moved in and I don't know a single one of their proper names, sad case I am.
    I can still enjoy them though...
    a closer shot
    DSCN7835.jpg

13. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Lucky you. I appreciate a close shot. It's beautiful.

14. Acerholic

Good afternoon everyone, late for me, but chores came first. Metamorphosa, Reticulatum, , Skeeters broom, Shindeshojo ( showing summer colours), Ruslyn in the pink. And a small part of my jungle, @dicky5ash style, that I prefer.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

Can I just add Ruby stars. The green is coming in now.

Attached Files:

16. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Almost 30° here today, and if the the 2-week weather forecast is correct, we're going to have temps about 25-28° and hardly any rain in the next 15 days...

A couple of my smaller potted maples suffered leaf burn, nothing really worrying but I put them back in the shade.

17. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Same here...

18. Acerholic

Hi @AlainK and @emery, looks like extremes are something we are going to have to live with. 30° ouch. 26° here.

19. Acerholic

The light was just right, so took this one to show and reccomend highly, Acer palmatum 'Red Feather'. It is the most delicate dissectum I have. I do keep it in a lot of shade.

Attached Files:

20. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It is certainly a very good introduction. I brought a little graft I was given back from the US last year, thinking we didn't yet have it here! I guess I was wrong, but I'm glad to have it and hope it lives just the same. In it's second year now, so still early going.
    IMG_20200414_130754_1.jpg

dangerine49 and Acerholic like this.
  21. Acerholic

@emery, mines the same age. Fingers crossed for both of us.

22. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Acerholic, Skeeters broom stays red during the summer?
    And Ruby star?

23. Acerholic

HI @zfrittz, Skeeters broom stays a lovely bright red all Spring and Summer. Ruby Stars colours are a mixture of reds and greens. I will attach a photo of mine from last Summer 2019.

Attached Files:

dangerine49 and zfrittz like this.
  24. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

I want to buy a maple that is red during the summer and I am among Skeeters broom, beni maiko and shaina, but I don't know what they are like in summer.
    Which one would you recommend?
    By the way very nice color the ruby star

25. Acerholic

@zfrittz , I would go for Skeeters broom, it is so underated. Beautiful bright red all Summer long.