Aphids on sangria charm petunias

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by Alison.b, May 16, 2020.

1. Alison.b

Alison.b Member

I am on the third floor of an apartment building and started a garden in pots last year, somehow I ended up with aphids. I think that I’ve tried everything to remove them Insecticidal soap, ladybugs even removal by hand. Nothing seemed to work. This year I bought all new soil and plants and once again have found a couple aphids specifically on my sangria charm petunias. Being on a deck I can’t use a hose to blast them.. I am using the Safer brand insecticidal soap but it doesn’t seem to keep them away. Does anyone have any tips for saving my plants?
    thanks!

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The soap spray should kill them. Perhaps they've come from nearby trees and gardens. They do have wings after all.

Alison.b likes this.
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I keep a mental list of what plants aphids like and I don't plant those. Petunias are on it. And anything that begins with the letter A. And nasturtiums.
    You have to attack them more than once - more like every three days, many times, to get all the generations. And like Junglekeeper says, new ones will find your place, especially if you have plants they like.

But you said "a couple of aphids". Squash them. But keep at it, every day. A couple of aphids won't kill your plants.

Alison.b likes this.
  4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Balcony gardens rarely get enough predatory insects to balance out the aphid attacks...so my method has been to try things, and if they get attacked by aphids, they're gone. It's sad that I don't get to grow some of the plants I think would still be ok for a balcony situation otherwise, but I find it is easy for aphids to get out of hand quickly.

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Aphids clone themselves like crazy. And each of those does the same, so they (it?) quickly covers the plant. They are weak, soft little bugs though and easy to kill. If spraying water is a problem, maybe an air blast like from compressed air used to clean electronics?

Alison.b likes this.
  6. Gaian Light

Gaian Light New Member

Soapy water seems to kill the aphids that try to attack my plants.

You need to keep cleaning your plants with soapy water to break their life cycle.

You can also use ear brushes to remove them from the leaves of your plants.

Try keeping your balcony plants clean. Good plant hygiene can really help.

Alison.b likes this.
  7. Alison.b

Alison.b Member

Any soap in particular?

8. Gaian Light

Gaian Light New Member

Hand wash soap or shampoo diluted well with water should so.

Gently clean the leaves with soapy water to remove the aphids.

There are insecticidal sprays made especially for the garden, which you mentioned that you have already used. The big key is to break their life cycles on the plants by removing them constantly from the leaves and keeping things clean and efficient in the garden so that they can never establish themselves on the plants.

Check for any ants who may bring them to the plants. Killing the aphids with an ear brush and leaving their bodies on the leaves also helps warn other aphids who may fly in from outside the garden to avoid the plants.

Some plants do better with aphids than other plants. Aphids love attacking nasturtiums for example, but seem to avoid garlic. You could try planting some garlic plants with your other plants to help fight off the aphids.

Alison.b likes this.