Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Here is a close up of my Hana Matoi in the evening sun,

Attached Files:

zfrittz, dangerine49 and Atapi like this.
  2. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

My Baldsmith looks just like this when I got it 5 years ago..just you wait..till it settles in

3. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I noticed that this nursery had some Baldsmiths when I went a week ago to pick up hydrangeas and pansies for my wife for Mothers Day. I never saw them there before. They always seem to have some new varieties every year. I had noticed on this thread a few mentions of it and loved the coloration in the photos. So when I went back I looked for them again. They had about four or five all about the same height but many had lopsided shapes. I picked the one I thought had the best overall form. Going to pot it for now.

dicky5ash likes this.
  4. vbx

vbx Active Member

Added 2 maples (fire dragon shantung and ssp formosanum) the be friends with the bloodgood and created little figure 8 island with mulch.

Edit to add lollypop pruned maple.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  5. Acerholic

@vbx, good morning , lovely shape that will enhance the look of your new maples. The pine bark mulch sets it all off perfectly. Staging our maples is so important.

vbx likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Just had a delivery, my first 'Garnet' I double checked the name tag Luke, @Luke’s Maples Lol. Planting area already prepared, high and dry and 'very' full of grit @zfrittz.
    I'm going to train it into a high weeper. Well that's the plan !!!

Attached Files:

zfrittz, dangerine49, vbx and 3 others like this.
  7. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Very exciting

8. Acerholic

That's what I'm trying to tell my wife. Oh well! more chores it seems.

9. Acerholic

They are all starting to turn into Summer colours, just as @copperbeech trees are leafing out in Toronto. What a forum !!
    One seedling of mine that is doing well and the top of my new Black Swan Beech to add some different interest to my photos. My uncle ghost is changing daily btw.

Attached Files:

sun, zfrittz, dangerine49 and 4 others like this.
  10. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Morning, I got this one just last year. The tag said 'Garnet Tower' but it doesn't look any different than the Red Garnet that I had.
    BTW, I still can't totally agreed that Shirazz/Geisha Gone Wild/Lil'Ann Jewels considered a dissectum one. I dont know if we have any category in between the palmatum and lace leaf for them so i guess they just listed them as dissectum.

Attached Files:

zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  11. Acerholic

Hi @Atapi, your right, mine is also 'Garnet Tower'. I must put my glasses on and not just get all excited about my new maple.
    Love the shape of your tree. My wife wants ours (I mean mine really) lol, into a cascade style.

12. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I know a lot of people, and nurseries, that have given up on 'Carnival'. The good news is that there's a superior cultivar around, actually a seedling of Carnival and introduced by Karan Junker. I don't know if it is available in the states yet but if not we should be able to fix that. These pics from 4/25, when it was still coming out, I'll try to get some more soon.

Attached Files:

zfrittz, Atapi and dicky5ash like this.
  13. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Some photos of maples and some companion plants today. Some "companion" plantings are spreading from elsewhere or were there before the maples. The Amagi shigure are of my little tree that survived some big branches landing on it from the Silver maple above. Seems to be doing okay this spring. My AP 'Mirte' is going kind of crazy with long branches swooping out and hanging over. I think it probably grows this way to be a really wide tree. My 'Esk Sunset' seems to be growing up and up. Its top is in the most sun so I think it is reaching for the sun.

Attached Files:

zfrittz, Atapi, dangerine49 and 6 others like this.
  14. Acerholic

Hi @Cjart, lovely maples and a lovely garden. Just going to bed here in England. A nice way to finish the day seeing your photos. Thankyou

15. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Thank you!

16. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Lovely. Really really lovely.

Cjart likes this.
  17. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

They are quite exposed to full sun..I prefer the rustic look rather than golf course..but it’s all personal preference

vbx likes this.
  18. vbx

vbx Active Member

yea. the last 2 planted are suppose to be heat tolerant. the bloodgood has struggled.

agreed, i would make it look more like a Japanese Garden bed sometime in the future.

I just need some shrubs? a couple of boulders and stuff?

not sure. need to browse the web for ideas. lol

19. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Harry under the Ariadne tree ...and Ryusen

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

Good morning , last evening via modern technology my wife and I spoke to our granddaughters virtually. We haven't seen them physically for two months now. (darned virus). With our tablet we showed them how are garden was looking. Especially our maples. Anyway when I heard the words " that ones pretty grandad" I knew that 'Amagi Shidare' would be my one photo posting today. Isn't it funny how just four words can have such an affect on you.

Attached Files:

21. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Lovely photo to end the night for me. Thanks @Acerholic.

Acerholic likes this.
  22. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

A few quickie Kagiri Nishiki shots from Harry's morning walk.

Attached Files:

Cjart, Atapi, dicky5ash and 3 others like this.
  23. Acerholic

@dangerine49 , Hi J , beautiful varigation, I don't have this one, but at least I can enjoy yours. Expect Harry is enjoying a well deserved nap after his walk !! Lovey photos yet again.

D

24. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

That's a gorgeous KG alright. I don't have this one in the garden either, but now I wish I did. Sigh. How does it do with hot sun?

Here are some pictures of 'Prince Camille de Rohan' taken a couple of days ago, didn't get a chance to post yet. This tree comes into its own in summer, especially on a sunny day with a slight breeze, when the breeze flutters the leaves and flashes the purple undersides.

Attached Files:

zfrittz, LoverOfMaples and Atapi like this.
  25. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I got it last year but it seems to be doing well. We had a very hot and dry summer last year. It's well protected from afternoon sun under a big locust tree.