Will my Tuberous Begonias grow back?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by marilyn777, May 18, 2020.

1. marilyn777

marilyn777 New Member

I bought two beautiful Tuberous Begonias from a local nursery last Friday a critter who shall remain nameless (resident Chipmunk) mowed one down completely the second is hanging by a thread and looks awful. My question when it starts to get warmer will they re-grow or are they toast and I will need to buy new ones? I was asking on the Canadian Gardening group on Facebook what to do about protecting my plants from the Chipmunk and one suggestion was to put some rocks or even Christmas ornaments around the plants because they love to dig in fresh dirt. I did that tonight. I'll see what happens. As you can see in the photo the one Begonia is hanging on but barely there is another beside it that is completely gone. Will they come back?

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

It doesn't look good, but if you have a place to tuck it out of the way and let it go for a while, you might as well give it a chance. You might need to put wire mesh over your pots if the critters are too active in your garden this year. They also do not like hot pepper flakes. You can sprinkle some on the surface of the soil.

3. marilyn777

marilyn777 New Member

Thanks, I'll try that.