"Watering the leafs" will help protect the maples from frost?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by copperbeech, May 6, 2020.

1. copperbeech

copperbeech Active Member 10 Years

This Friday into Saturday the temps are predicted to dip to -3C (27F). (And on the other nearby days we can see -2C, and -1C)

The JMs I have in pots can go back in the garage and for the smaller in ground ones I could informally drape some frost protection cloth ie burlap and the like. But I have a couple of JM trees that are much too large to "cover up".

Here are the buds as of today on the Acer shirasawanum:

It seems counter intuitive but I have read that spraying a fine mist of water onto the spring foliage may prevent, to a point, the damage that can result from such a low temperature occurring this time of year. This and a couple of other larger maples are close enough to the house that I could spray a fine mist of water. What say you fellow JM collectors?

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi @copperbeech, this is an interesting topic as late Spring frosts seem to be happening all too often these days. Here in England at the end of the week the temperature is going to drop, we are hoping no frost though.
    Re your thoughts on spraying to protect through the night, I have tried this in the past, but the only thing it did was make me more tired the next day. Major growers of food crops mist at regular intervals throughout the night when a frost is forecast. It's not really practical for us amateurs. (The misting has to be regular throughout the night).
    The only thing I have found to be effective is the fleece covering, where possible. I have large maples that just have to take their chances I'm afraid.
    Sorry I could not be of more help.
    Good luck for this weekend, fingers crossed for you.

3. copperbeech

Thanks for your post @Acerholic. The couple of trees in question are too large to apply any external covering. It will be a fitful few nights for me.
    (England might really see temps below zero C...like their Canadian cousins? ;))

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

copperbeech likes this.
  5. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I have successfully protected my cherry blossoms by spraying the water on trees, when late spring frost was occuring. I used water sprayer connected with the tap. So I could sleep while the sprayer did its job.

copperbeech and Acerholic like this.
  6. copperbeech

So I take it a single one time spraying of the trees in the evening won't be helpful.

7. Acerholic

Hi @Sulev, what a great idea and set up. Very professional indeed.

8. Acerholic

Hi @copperbeech, no it has to be a fine mist throughout the night. That's why @Sulev set up is fantastic; very impressed indeed!!!!

copperbeech likes this.
  9. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

It depends on how cold it would go.
    I have experiences with down to -8°C, and that case the tree branches were all in thick ice and icicles by morning, but I still managed to save most of blossom.
    Single time spraying helps when the temperature drops below freezing point only shortly and not so much. Once or twice almost each spring I protect my srawberries and vegetables against spring frosts by watering them in the evening or in the middle of the night. This way I have managed to save my okras and melons with down to -5°C. In extreme cases I have used warm water for watering at the peak hour of the frost.
    In case of vegetables and strawberries I usually combine watering with floating row covers as a protection. But my cherries are 5+ meters high and I can't cover them.
    Last year was particularily nasty - we had no month without frost. Usually we have 2 and sometimes 3...4 months without frost.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  10. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

11. copperbeech

Actually we experienced a low of -5C on one of the nights. But from what I can tell right now, as none of the in ground trees are even close to being fully leafed out, I am only concerned with EDNA BERGMAN as many of its buds have fallen off but enough seem to be leafing out as well.

12. Acerholic

@copperbeech, 'So pleased' to hear you got through hopefully the last frosts of this Spring with only partial casualties.
    My fingers are crossed for your Edna Bergman, a second flush will sort it out I'm sure.
    Do post some of your Spring maple photos on the cheering ourselves up thread ? Ours here are starting to turn to Sumner colours and that's not so colourful.

copperbeech likes this.