Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Attached Files:

AlainK, zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@LoverOfMaples, I will a new photo of it to this thread this October/November. I've marked it in my diary to do for you. When the sun shines through it, it glows more than my Osakasuki.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  3. Acerholic

4. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I have a few circinatums but still waiting to get 'Ki setsude'. I have one called 'Ruby Red' but can't find a lot of info on it. There's a thread on here back in 2010 about shir. 'Ruby Red' vs japonicum Ruby but nothing clear. Mendocino have it as shirasawanum and Buchholz have it as circinatum. I ordered it from Lucile @Whitman. When I ordered it I called it a shirasawanum and she corrected me with circinatum. Is anyone else growing this one?

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  5. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I'll be waiting for it. So to be correct it's 'Ariake Nomura'?

6. Acerholic

7. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

oops, I am sorry. I didn't mean to scratch our maples itch but i think this is where and how we learn from each others. I think it is best to see and listen from the maples lovers like us. Like I am so happy to get my Summer Gold from Emery review and still wanting to get that 'wedding cake' dogwood like Jaybee and many more skills and techniques that I have learned so far from this forum and from the true Japanese maples collectors. THANKS!

8. Acerholic

9. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Thanks Acerholic, bed times for you, Sir.

10. Acerholic

@Atapi , lol , yes my maples are all safe and asleep (no frosts), so I can relax for another night.

11. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Some more random stuff

Attached Files:

Atapi, AlainK, Cjart and 3 others like this.
  12. Acerholic

@dangerine49, cheerful photos indeed. Lovely to wake up to.

13. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

Higasayama (a little underexposed for dramatic effect) HigiLeaves.jpg

Atapi, AlainK, LoverOfMaples and 3 others like this.
  14. Acerholic

@Osoyoung, good morning, I am jealous, I've just lost my 4th Higasayama yesterday. Just can't keep them alive here. But at least I can see your lovely photo. 'THANKYOU'.

0soyoung likes this.
  15. Acerholic

@Osoyoung, I've done it again, just ordered another after seeing your photo. I'm in trouble now. Washing up for several days I think !!!!

16. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

LOL!
    We've had ours for a bit more than 10 years now and it has grown from a large nursery specimen into a 12 foot tall landscape specimen. We lost a big chunk of it one winter about 5 years ago, but it is growing vigorously, but now with the magnificent shape it once had.
    We also like the unique popcorn show every spring, but I've never been able to capture its beauty in a photograph. The little upturned hands are unrivaled by any other variety we've ever seen. Peter Warren, a bonsai artist located somewhere around London has one as a bonsai (I've only seen it in pix).

If it is of any help to you, ours is in 'full sun' as we call it - no over hanging canopy cover that would shade it when and if the sun is not obscured by clouds. And, of course, it is planted in a berm of sandy loam that has excellent drainage.

Best of luck. The tree is so worth the trouble, I think.

Acerholic likes this.
  17. Acerholic

@Osoyoung, Thankyou so much for that, it is a lovely tree and a very old variety. So 'full sun' it is for my new one.
    12ft tall now, Wow, that must look wonderful !! The one I've ordered is 3ft tall, so a lot of growing to get to the size of your specimen tree.
    Again a big Thanks for the information. I will post a photo of mine when I receive it.

18. Luke’s Maples

@Acerholic what have you done? Lol. Where did you find it?

19. Acerholic

Good morning everyone, just taken these, the largest is my 28 year old Red Flash. And especially for @zfrittz and @Luke’s Maples, Reticulatum Purple. I am also really pleased this year with Otome Zakura. It's just so bright this Spring.

Attached Files:

Atapi, AlainK, emery and 5 others like this.
  20. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, Hi Luke, sorry for not getting back earlier. Yes I'm in trouble again. But you get used to it I find, lol
    @Osoyung, Higasayama made me try one more time to make one survive with me. Fingers crossed, as it's such a lovely old maple.
    I got it from Endsleigh gardens in Devon.
    I've also got Trompenburg and Garnet coming this week; as I'm already in trouble I thought I might as well do it properly. In for a penny and all that, lol
    It's been very quiet on this thread today, think the Summer colours are now getting very close. Although some of our American friends look through our night, so maybe more postings later. Hope you had a good weekend. D (Acerholic ).

21. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Here is A. campestre 'Carnival' from today. It was cut back very hard the year before last, some has reverted and some has gone entirely white. I've left the reverted for the moment in order to nourish the plant, which was in terrible shape, but will be removing it within a week or two. 'Carnival' did quite well in the wind, though I expect as usual it will burn later in the year.

A couple of other field maples are lit up with fruit, really as good as any flowering shrub. Here are 'Red Noses', first year of fruit, and 'Red Shine', a well established maple that shone more when it was smaller. I guess to see the red young growth better it should be in a hedge and cut back regularly.

-E

Attached Files:

Atapi, AlainK, 0soyoung and 5 others like this.
  22. Acerholic

@emery, good evening Emery, I love the Campestre Carnivals colours. Shame that it burns later.

23. Acerholic

Just went out to get this one as the sun was just going down. Corallinum. A tip from @dangerine49 about light. Also trying to avoid questions in doors about more maples coming, @Luke’s Maples and @Osoyoung understand what I'm saying, lol.

Attached Files:

24. Luke’s Maples

Do I ever lol

25. Luke’s Maples