Soil compaction problems

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, May 12, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Osoyoung, after the posting about the dead tree in the pot, I was wondering if you have seen the BBC video that is referred to on this thread? It's only 4 minutes long but does show that compaction causing oxygen starvation occurs so often, even at the professional gardens.

2. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

I have not, yet, @Acerholic.

A few years ago I stumbled upon this open-access Arborculture video series that has a 5 video module on roots and a 3 video module on soil and 6 lessons on urban design. I highly recommend these modules as they are all about the thesis of this thread you started.

After about a decade as an amateur bonsai and tree physiology zealot, I also found it interesting that guys with big trees are worrying about the same things I worry about with my small ones! However, I do have several planted in the landscape around my home and burn this candle at both ends, so to speak.

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Acerholic

@Osoyung, thanks I will take a look. All information to aid our trees is very useful indeed.

4. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

I saw the video and listened to the 2x longer audio, @Acerholic. It would make a great addition to James Burke's Connections. I was totally unaware of how this particular 'blinding flash of the obvious' (revelation, I mean) occurred.

Thank you.

Acerholic likes this.
  5. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Thanks! Great info.

6. Acerholic

I'm just going into my garden for a day of ariating and loosening the soil for my trees. The old fashioned way with a garden fork. It takes a rather long time but my maples need it on my heavy clay soil. I push the fork all the way to the end of the prongs and then wiggle it back and forth. I have in the past used a hollow tined fork and then filled individual holes with horticultural grit. (But I was much younger then).!!!!!!!!!!
    I carry out this procedure 'at least' twice a year, I do reccomend it even if you 'don't' have heavy soil. I will add a photo of what I have to deal with for your amusement, Lol

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

OK, I watched all the modules and found module 5.2 very interesting indeed, I know it's on an industrial scale, car parks etc, but the take home piece of information for our gardens is to ensure you regularly check the soil around your maples (as these are our interest) and re apply good quality soil ( gritty compost) together with loosening. How often depends on your soil make up. Clay, then probably every two years IMO.
    The mulching topic in the video was excellent and how people take it to extremes when told that trees need a mulch around the base and how they should remove grass . The Volcano mulching needs to be seen to be believed!!! I did laugh. But on a serious note, our advice on this subject to first time visitors to the forum should be precise.
    I was surprised that the powered oxygen lance method showed no improvement to the trees at all. 'That's saved us some money @emery'.
    These videos are indeed excellent to watch for us enthusiasts, but might be a bit heavy for people who come to the forum on a once only visit for advice.
    I would like to very much thank @Osoyoung for pointing us all in the direction of these videos. I thoroughly enjoyed them. 'Excellent'.

0soyoung likes this.