Maple not leafing out.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by jjames604, May 15, 2020.

1. jjames604

jjames604 New Member

Good Morning,

I was hoping to get some feedback on why my potted maple hasn't leafed out yet (05/15/20).

Tree came with the house and has been healthy since we moved in (3 yrs ago) - although the leafs did look a little shriveled during the summer last year (which I had just chalked up to heat). It does have moss growing on it which may be a sign of the issue. While there seems to be more dead on the tree this year than past, I do see new shoots on the top of the tree as well as buds that never opened.

Anyway, not entirely sure what to do with it and would hate to see it go. Is it worth taking out of the pot and putting it in the ground?

Cheers!

Jack

Attached Files:

2. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

My guess it that the potting soil it is in has broken down. Roots must get oxygen to do what they do - metabolism requires oxygen. Any soil with a high level of organics starts with a lot of pores that admit oxygen. As it composts, it decays into smaller and smaller particles and it settles over time, eliminating these free spaces (i.e., the air filled porosity declines). So what one sees is the tree correspondingly decline.

The solution, of course, is to restore the air-filled porosity of the soil. Being in a pot, the easiest way to do this is to remove the tree from the pot, substantially remove the soil from the roots and repot it with fresh soil that has a good level of air filled porosity. I favor using medium landscaping bark and a lesser volume of soil as 'my mix'. My sole reason for adding any soil is to make the mix somewhat sticky so that the tree doesn't need to be secured to the pot until the entire mix is populated with roots. I often see people sitting rocks atop the soil to accomplish this. It works okay with this large fraction of medium sized bark chips, but with compost and potting soils, it just recreates the problem of reduced air filled porosity. I prefer to rig guys between the pot and the tree trunk similar to the way trees are staked initially in landscape plantings - this extra rigging can be removed after a year.

Last spring, as the buds were beginning to swell would have been the time to have done this. Now, I am afraid it is too late. I'm reasonably certain that your tree is dead.

jjames604 and Acerholic like this.
  3. jjames604

jjames604 New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I thought about re-potting w/ new soil but also have one spot in the garden that I may be able to plant it. Not sure its an ideal location given the surrounding evergreens and the resulting light blocking though.

I have the same fear its dead although the new growth, buds, and scratch test are telling me otherwise.

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Sadly I agree with @Osoyoung, the roots have been starved of oxygen and it appears you have a dead tree.
    If you do decide to get another, you wont go far wrong following the great advice from Osoyoung. Good growing medium and sufficient oxygen to the roots is something very dear to maple growers hearts.

Excellent Osoyoung

5. Acerholic

If the fingernail test is positive, you may have a pot bound tree with no compost in the pot at all.
    You will loose nothing at all by planting it in the ground now then.
    Pot grown maples purchased at a garden centre can be planted at any time, so your tree can too.
    If you plant it out, make sure you tease the roots out to ensure you do not get root girdling. Use a good quality gritty compost to ensure good drainage and water regularly through the growing season.
    Good luck.

jjames604 likes this.
  6. jjames604

jjames604 New Member

Cheers! Thanks. I figured much the same. Super disheartening to let it go. As bit of a gardening n00b I very much miss-read the signs last year. I will likely drop it in the ground and hope for the best.

7. Acerholic

@jjames604, go for it, you have nothing to lose. Do let the forum know how it goes.

jjames604 likes this.
  8. jjames604

jjames604 New Member

Got it in the ground today. Wasn't easy getting it out of the pot and transporting it but better than the alternative. Massively root bound. Did our best to tease the roots a bit but very difficult. Fingers crossed it takes. Will keep you all posted.

9. Acerholic