Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi @emery, not sure tbh, I did know it is a unified society but had it in my mind that it was the logo used only by the NAB in merchandise. Thanks for the heads up.

2. Acerholic

Hi @dicky5ash, I love seedlings, great photos.

3. Acerholic

Frost here overnight, hope everyone has not been hit hard. @ROEBUK your furthest north I believe how did you fare?

4. Acerholic

I don't really pamper my maples!!!!!! Bit chilly for them last night !!!

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

Age !!!! They say that a fine bottle of wine improves to the taste with age and in our thoughts a maple grows pleasing to the eye with age. But with a maple it becomes a friend, that limb I had to prune 10 years ago, that snow that broke that piece 20 years ago and in my photo today that maple we bought together for our wedding gift to each other 42 years ago.
    Our maples truly become our friends over the years and seeing all the posts on this thread I believe you all feel the same.
    So my suggestion for today is an old and maybe mishaped, but loved maple that gives you pleasure all year long and puts a smile on your face.

Attached Files:

sun, AlainK, dangerine49 and 4 others like this.
  6. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Acerholic, they are beautiful, I wish I had one like that.
    There is none that is poorly formed, we must look at it and find each one its beauty and if at that moment we do not see it, we have not looked at it well, any day we will discover it and we will realize that it is something special.
    Each unique and unrepeatable tree

Acerholic likes this.
  7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Here are a few maples I haven't shown before here, some just coming out now or into late spring leaf, some not very well known.

A. pseudoplatanus 'Simon Louis Frères' is the last of the variegated sycamores to leaf out. It begins very pink/red but settles into this pink/tan/green. It is nearly as pink as 'Esk Sunset' but more subtle because of the green leaf undersides. For that same reason it also burns more easily (though many an Esk has looked like the dog's dinner without sufficient moisture, too).

Acer rubescens 'Yakushima nishiki' has an upright form with bright yellow stems in winter. The white speckled leaves have no pink in them, which makes it a harmonious landscape plant and easier to site than some of the other variegated rubescens and conspicuum.

Acer pectinatum ssp laxiflorum is one of the most beautifully blooming maples, with long panicles of red/purple/white flowers. But this year one of our freezes happened just as it was flowering out: so flowers! I'll try to remember to post some from another year.

Always cheerful to see the red samaras announcing "Not A. japonicum!" on Shirasawa's maple, which has upright flowers and fruit. This is A. shirasawanum ssp shirasawanum, actually a fairly rare maple as everyone plants the cultivars.

The Canyon Maple, Acer grandidentatum. Closely related to the sugar maple, Big-Tooth Maple (another name!) is currently raised in rank and considered a separate species.

Can't remember if I showed this one before, it is A. anhweiense, the Robust Maple formerly known as A. robustum (and A. ceriferum). It's quite a rare one and although beautiful in spring and summer, doesn't have a tremendous autumn show.

Blooms on A. x pseudo-heildreichii. I bought this as A. trautvetterii, but like most of the trees listed as Trautvetter's Maple it is a hybrid. I am still trying to get a real one.

A difficult tree to grow but very worth it, Father Girald's maple A. caesium ssp. giraldii. The bluish tint to the leaves and the blue/white bloom on the last years stems make an excellent addition to the color palette, and the leaves are very architectural. Plus it leaves out a month after A. caesium, and anything that leafs out in mid-May here is welcome.

A. pectinatum 'Sparkling' is a rarely seen cultivar of this Chinese maple, as is 'Sirene', with smaller and darker leaves. It is meant to have brownish leaves in spring, but like many of the pectinatum selections seems to revert very easily. Which is why it's not seen often.

Finally the very good Acer miaotaiense. Hard to pronounce but a beautiful Chinese Maple, with bronze new growth, related to the Japanese A. miyabei and the European A. campestre, indeed we can say this is the Chinese Field Maple. I have 2 (by accident, one delivered mis-labeled) and they have very different forms: this one will make an upright tree, the other a spreading shrub.

Clear but cold here, going off to pot on maples, first up is a nice A. japonicum from Aconitifolium seed. -E

Attached Files:

zfrittz, AlainK, Cjart and 4 others like this.
  8. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Running late as the thread has moved on. Subverting the request somewhat a lone maple as a beacon on a bank of azaleas and rhodys.
    DSCN7254.jpg

As for quirky; though 'Geisha Gone Wild' would prefer I wait until she was fully dressed, still she captivates this stoned audience of a frog, Buddha, bunny, and dragon.
    DSCN7332.jpg

zfrittz, AlainK, Cjart and 2 others like this.
  9. Acerholic

@emery, the pseudoplatanus 'Simon Louis Frères' is so similar to Esk Sunset markings on top. Both very pretty trees IMO. Hope its warm in your potting shed, so cold everywhere atm. @ROEBUK kept saying roll on May, perhaps he really meant June lol.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  10. Acerholic

Hi @wind-borne, hope it's warmer in Oregon than it is here. Really like your combination of lime green / yellow, a shirasawanum maybe?? and the purples of the Rhododendrons. Your Geisha gone wild is certainly getting the attention of the Buddha, as if its pointing something out, or saying "it's this way" !!! Enjoyed both photos, thankyou.

11. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

That's serious heavy soil you have down South , added some pics for you so you can see the looseness which the shale pieces impacts on my soil. Group of first five pictures are from early March of this year planting out Kogane nishiki which had become root bound so rather than just re pot i thought i would place in the ground , after removing all the circling roots placed in the new planting hole and you can see from the two pictures the levels of shale present just added some fish blood and bonemeal back filled and the pic of the tree today,coming on nicely with good leaf. Last three pics are from today from an area at the back of my workshop where i have a assortment of reticulates growing down here, just dug a new hole for a orange dream which will be going in shortly when it starts to warm up? The top soil you can dig up no problems turns over beautifully and if i carry on digging deeper and come to the sub soil that then turns into a pure red shale, so i can see just from digging down the excellent drainage this shale is creating, and this what my soil is like all round my back garden , that's why i have so many trees planted out , on a sad note though i have been told not to dig anymore of the back lawn up !!

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  12. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Pic of a aka shigitatsusawa which is just at a delicate stage, this was put away last night came out today and is back in again for tonight with all the bedding plants , you never know they might get out for June??

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

@ROEBUK, I showed you mine and you showed me yours lol. And the north wins hands down on the best soil to grow maples. But we are meant to have the better weather in the South to grow them, Oh yes frosts last night for coldest May day in 40 years. North wins again, lol.

Great photos Mark, very colourful and healthy trees. Thanks for taking the time posting this.

14. Acerholic

A frosty but bright start. It may be nearing the end of Spring but the maples are still colourful. Here are the first lot.

Attached Files:

Cjart, dangerine49, emery and 3 others like this.
  15. Acerholic

And some more.....

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

A few more and introducing my Baby Ghost's first photo .

Spring maybe coming to an end but the joy of Summer maple colours will not disappoint I'm sure.

Attached Files:

sun, dangerine49, emery and 3 others like this.
  17. zfrittz

Where did the ghot series come from was maybe matsumurae maple?

18. zfrittz

Acerholic, the deshojo are my weakness, with those bright reds, the precious ruby stars too, the reds are what I am passionate about, I am looking forward to seeing the varieties that keep the best red in the summer.
    Baby ghost

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  19. Acerholic

Hi @zfrittz, yes they really brighten a garden, I couldn't agree more. Summer reds, hmm, something to look forward to!!

20. emery

Difficult to capture the cherry red of 'Deshojo' in the full sunlight, but here are a couple of one of mine for @zfrittz . I grafted these in 2015 learning how to do it at Dick van der Maat's grafting day course. I find 'Deshojo' a darker red than many of the more fashionable Coralliniums, and very attractive for that.

The Ghost series are all seed from 'Shigitatsu sawa', this cultivar often throws reticulated offspring. To my taste, while some of the series is very nice, some of the plants should never have been named: they are not different enough. Still, maples are a business, and selling new cultivars is a way of getting collectors to buy more plants. The whole "series" thing is also clever marketing: "collect them all!" ;) 'Shigitatsu sawa' is indeed considered a cultivar of A. amoenum.

@Acerholic, 'Simon Louis Frères' is quite an old cultivar and Esk Sunset much more recent. There are a few around like Esk, but it has swallowed up most of them. 'Patchwork' was one. I suspect there are at least several strains of Esk around, more or less pink. I've never yet seen a large tree-like form of it, and most of these are very slow growing; so it will be interesting to see what they do in 50 years, not that I'll be here to report!!

Attached Files:

AlainK, zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  21. Acerholic

@emery , first of all we will all do our best to report on Esk and SLF for many many years. Sorry for the 3 letter abbreviation.
    I love my Esk Sunset, so will not buy anything similar. One of your very black leafed species Acers though is another story, I hope to persuade my wife to let me buy one in the Autumn. I can hear her say already, "but where will it go". Lol.
    I will have to do a lot more chores I think though as my brownie points are still on the very low side atm !!!
    Hope its warming up nicely for you in Normandy. Think Summer might just be on the way now ?????????

22. emery

Ah there's always "Room on the Broom", right?

Esk is not always that successful in the garden for people, who buy it with great expectations. Simon Louis was one of my early fetish trees, along with e.g. the Wedding Cake, and was completely unavailable in France. In those days there was no shipping from Britain, where it could be purchased rather readily, more so than now. After 10 years or so of searching I finally got a young 3l graft from the Netherlands. When I get my greenhouse it will be one of the ones I graft on, goodness knows there is plenty of sycamore root stock here!!

Lovely weather today, must get back out into it. Still a bit frisky with the high around 15C today (and 2.5C at nights) but looks to be warming up for us all next week.

23. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

It's my day off so I went out looking for some drippy photos this morning. Wound up doing some hosta hunting as well. Love those curves.

Attached Files:

sun, AlainK, LoverOfMaples and 3 others like this.
  24. Acerholic

@dangerine49, hostas and maples go together so well. The rain certainly brings out the colours and looks so good just falling off maple leaves.
    Lovely as usual.

25. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Yeah I went a little nuts today. Sun came out and it looks like instant summer with temps near 80 degrees F today.

Attached Files:

sun, AlainK, LoverOfMaples and 3 others like this.