Help - lemon tree with spotty leaves

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by S povi, May 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. S povi

S povi New Member

I am long-term caring for a relative's co-potted lemon and lime tree. I have been caring for it since March and over the past few weeks the leaves have developed yellow spots and eventually fall off (see pictures). The tree has dropped at least 10-20 leaves in the past two weeks. Two weeks ago, the tree sprouted two new branches of new growth. It is currently in the process of growing a lemon.

It is located in Central Texas. I water it 1-2x/week, it gets ~6-8h sunlight/day through east-facing window. I do not know the last time it was fertilized. It was repotted in the past 2 years. I have a citrus tree that sits nearby that also has a few leaves yellowing, but without the spotting and I believe to be just old leaves getting old.

Does the lemon tree have a pathogen, nutrient deficiency, or am I just caring for it improperly? This tree has an immense amount of sentimental value.

Attached Files:

2. Will B

Will B Active Member

My guess would be it could use more nutrients. I have observed that when citrus are low on nutrients they appear to absorb nutrients out of older leaves to provide to new leaves and fruit, and then typically drop the old leaves. When this happens the leaves look like they have various nutrient deficiencies as the nutrients are redirected to new leaves and fruit. This becomes particularly pronounced when fruiting as the fruit require lots of nutrients. The exact appearance of the leaves that are being sacrificed this way varies widely. I would suggest giving it some fertilizer.

3. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Yellowing leaves are often sign of too much water. I water my citruses maybe once or twice a month, depending on temperatures, wind and sunshine. It is important, how much water you pour each week and if there is a drainage hole in the bottom of the container.
    I hope, that these window covers are open during daytime. Plants can't usually live without light and yellowing of leaves can happen in the dark also.