Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

Cyanotype_1.jpg
    My first cyanotype. A remarkably easy process

AlainK, Cjart, zfrittz and 2 others like this.
  2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I guess lactobacillus is one of the main EM ingredients, and of course very beneficial. There are 7 bacillus in Mycorr and I suppose it likely lacto- is one of them.

No reason it should be either/or, mind you. The importance of mycorrhizal relationships are well established now, though the science is relatively new.

Back when I did my experiment, EM was hard to get, and perhaps not that easy to make correctly without the starter. I have no doubt as to its effectiveness given that I know many, above all in the Netherlands, that swear by it.

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@emery, during my career I was fortunate to be on many large country estates with what they thought was protective deer fencing. I witnessed many a deer in the middle of the night leaping these fences with ease. There is one way to stop them, but that's not a cheerful subject on this thread, lol
    The damage does not notice in your Wedding Cake tree photo btw.

4. Acerholic

@kbguess, that's the first I've seen of a maple leaf like that. Printed on a canvas, that would look really good in any maple enthusiasts house.
    'I like that', thankyou for sharing something different on this thread.

5. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

But if we do a capture of microorganisms, we will obtain a greater biodiversity and all beneficial and being from their area they develop much better than those grown in the laboratory, and they are also fresh.

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Acerholic

@zfrittz, I say, "here here to that" . Sorry, that's such an old English saying. Showing my age now!!!!

7. emery

The pictures I just posted were the Pagoda dogwood, but I did snap one of the Wedding cake, attached. There were about 4 limbs that rec'd the treatment. You can see I popped off of the mower and said "what the heck happened here!" Was very tempted to eat venison tonight but the roasts need marinating, the loins are for company, and the burgers take a lot of thawing! Heh, will have to change my story to "Dogwood Fed Venison" :)

Keith that is really awesome, very beautiful. Will they be garments, or maybe framed prints?

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  8. zfrittz

Acerholic, I don't understand what you mean.
    I don't speak English and I use the google translator. (Study French, sorry)

9. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

Thanks for the kind comments. That is my only print so far, went to my mother for Mother's Day. I have ordered some acetate that goes in laser printer with hope of getting an outcome more like a photograph

I will continue to experiment. The chemicals were less than $30 US and will make hundreds of prints.

emery likes this.
  10. zfrittz

A maple leaf on a t-shirt would be nice

11. Acerholic

@zfrittz , it means 'I agree with you a lot'. I'm impressed at how well you do on this thread without speaking English.

12. Acerholic

@zfrittz , I think our Canadian friends have already done that. Nice thought though!!!

13. Acerholic

@kbguess, Hi Keith, look forward to seeing more of your creative maple art on this thread.

14. emery

Maybe soon we will have Maple Society T-shirts and mugs to sell as gifts.... hint hint. Maybe Keith will design one!

15. Acerholic

@emery, there was talk about having a world Maple Society logo. I would definitely buy one of those as a lapel badge.

16. emery

There is a Maple Society logo! It may well be updated during the next times, though. MapleSocLogo.jpg

17. Acerholic

@emery , isn't that the North American logo? A world one would bring us all together IMO. I would really like to see that. A good introduction if seeing someone wearing one, say around Westonbirt or Portland for example ??? One can only dream, but you never know, all it takes is someone like keith @kbguess to come a long with an idea out of the blue.

18. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

19. Acerholic

Thought I would share my Shindeshojo in the sun in my garden this evening. I have a white double flowered Azalea 'Geisha 'close by.

Attached Files:

AlainK, zfrittz, Cjart and 1 other person like this.
  20. ROEBUK

Here's some pictures of some chess moves i had to make last year :) Watnong had to be pruned back because the shape it was turning into wasn't to my liking ,plus i needed the spot where it was growing for Emerald lace to be moved too because that in turn was growing into my Ornatum and restricting it's growth on it's left hand base side. So Watnong is happily growing in it's new pot , Emerald lace is also growing nicely now and has more room to spread out on the ground now because when i first bought this tree from Morrisons £6 and planted it out i staked both the two main leaders into the ground so they would spread horizontally and not vertically , and the Ornatum now has space on it's left side to spread out and even itself out over the next few years, phew got there. Now the Baldsmith was given the same branch pruning from beneath the yellow line last summer ,the pic of the tree was from the previous fall after leaf drop just so you can see what was removed in 2019 , and the growth this year is tremendous as you would expect with the lower limbs removed , so this will be lifted in the fall and will probably go into a 120 ltr container the watnong is in a 80ltr would love to plant somewhere else but don't have the room anywhere with out moving even more, think this one will check mate me some how. And added another clearer ukigumo pic this will certainly get some more light next year.

Attached Files:

sun, AlainK, Atapi and 4 others like this.
  21. Acerholic

@ROEBUK Hi Mark, can I ask about your soil, is it natural from where you live or is it from years of working on? Our friends showed us photos of their trip to Kyoto last Autumn and the soil was very similar, 'shale like'. I dream of soil like that. See attached photo of mine.

Attached Files:

22. ROEBUK

Will post some pics for you tomorrow , yes it's very shale'y indeed that's why anything i tend to plant just takes off the drainage is fantastic.

23. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Love the photo’s, amazing trees..Yes it’s all very tricky..my emerald lace was purchased similarly as a tiny tree and is now about 1.5/1.8m across, takes full sun so I find that quite accommodating..it lives in an antique 4x2 galvanised bath! I haven’t ever pruned anything in 20odd years of keeping JM I need to learn..also I need to learn about root pruning... thanks for your reply I find this helpful

24. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Year 2 seedlings, I am hopeful for these 2

Attached Files:

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  25. emery

Not at all, not sure where you got that idea?

The logo was developed by TMS, the NAB also uses it though. We are a unified society. At least in principle. When you go to our web site, or on any of our communications, that is the logo we use.