Beni Otake vs Hubbs Red Willow

Discussion in 'Maples' started by SLR2009, May 11, 2020.

1. SLR2009

SLR2009 Active Member 10 Years

Hi, how does Beni Otake compare to Hubbs Red Willow? If you had Beni Otake would you still get Hubbs Red Willow? Thank you

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi @SLR2009, both so very very similar. I have Beni Otaki but would be just as happy if I had Hubbs Red Willow or vice versa. I would now 'not ' add Hubbs red willow to my collection to answer your question.

SLR2009 likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Hi @SLR2009 , I've added a photo of my Beni Otaki in Spring for you. It's very slender. Hope that helps a little more.

Attached Files:

BlackMaple, emery and SLR2009 like this.
  4. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

To me the 2 are quite different as the leaves of 'Beni otake' are much shorter and wider. The colors of 'Beni otake' in spring and summer are far superior but the fall effect of 'Hubbs Red Willow' is nicer.
    As far as if you need both I can't say, some comparative pictures below with 'Beni otake' first in each section.

This rainy morning, looking east
    5.12e.jpeg

looking west
    5.12w.jpeg

cloudy a couple days ago
    05.10.20 01.59 PM.jpg 05.10.20 05.18 PM.jpg

fall
    10.21.19 07.40 AM.jpg 11.05.192.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  5. SLR2009

SLR2009 Active Member 10 Years

How does Pung Kil compare to Hubbs Red Willow and Beni Otake?

6. Acerholic

Hi @SLR2009, I don't have it myself but my friend has just purchased it. It looks a brighter red in his garden than my Beni Otaki and atm more like Hubbs red willow.
    @wind-borne photos earlier are a brilliant comparison tbh. His photography really does them justice.

sun likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Hi @SLR2009, another to consider is Enkan if you are still looking for a lovely red strapleaf. Red Pygmy is a good choice if room is a concern. I'll attach a couple of photos of my Red Pygmy for you. We do love this one tbh it glows in the sun.

Attached Files:

SLR2009 likes this.
  8. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

@sun, I am responding in this thread rather than the other 2 threads where you, @Acerholic, and @LoverOfMaples are discussing Beni and Hubbs as spring and fall are already covered and here are some midsummer cloudy morning shots a couple minutes apart from similar angles.
    'Beni otake' top
    B:H2.jpeg

'Beni otake' left
    On the Hubbs half the coloring is similar with half or full day sun as shown with the foreground tree full sun and the tree in background half day.
    B:H.jpeg

9. sun

sun Active Member

@wind-borne thank you so much, that is really great that you show us the differences in the same garden.

10. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Both are very nice trees !