Slumping, Browning ZZ Plant

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Plant Lover Vancouverite, May 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Plant Lover Vancouverite

Plant Lover Vancouverite New Member

I've taken in this orphaned ZZ plant from the office but it has since slumped entirely over, started turning brown and dry leaves. It was wonderfully healthy beforeIbefore. did water it slightly in the past but since have not watered at all for weeks and it now looks like it is Browning with leaves drying up. I'm not so sure it is still adjusting anymore, and I think I am killing it.

I changed the soil 2 days ago but it continues down this slumpy brown dry path.

It is getting sun away from South facing Windows.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Plant Lover Vancouverite

The roots were all shriveled, limp, brown, and stringy so I pulled it out (easily coming off). At
    the same time of acquiring this plant, I also got these ZZ plants in the case of water. Looks like the stems are starting/already rotting, but there are no roots and I'm not sure whether to keep it in water or try to change it to soil.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

4. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

No saucer on a hardwood floor, so that's probably a pot with no drainage holes, right? That will cause the roots to stay to wet and kill them, giving you a weak root system only alive near the top as you show in the photo where it's pulled out of the soil. Also, this plant is often underwatered because it looks like it stores so much water. It needs regular watering to keep it barely moist and not dry out for many weeks like you described. So it's possible to both over and under-water these on an alternating basis, which is really hard on the roots.

Do not keep it in water for very many more days. Pot it soon! Many soil mixes will work if they can hold a little moisture but are very free draining. I would stay away from home-center potting soil and perhaps try a high-porosity peat-based mix at your local hydroponics store (peat-based because it's the easiest for novices to tell when it is dry). You can even add a little perlite or pumice to make it a little more free-draining. For the average indoor houseplant, this might need watering once every week or so.

5. Plant Lover Vancouverite

Hi Tom, thank you so much for your detailed reply and explanation!! This is very helpful and I appreciate your observant eye. I have since repotted it in new soil, but will look for the peat-based etc. It continues to droop over the pot - as if falling over - is that because the plant isn't strong anymore? Should I try a deeper pot so more of the plant is under soil?

Since the roots are almost non-existent (or very weak ones), how do I get them to grow/redevelop?

I realize now my other photos didn't upload - the vase of zz plants in water. These don't have roots at all - so similarly, will potting in soil create roots?

Attached Files: