Blue Java Banana, is this normal?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Jamie Smith, May 3, 2020.

1. Jamie Smith

Jamie Smith New Member

Suddenly my individual Banana leaf stalks are coming away from the main stalk. I haven't seen this before and can't find it online everywhere. There are two leaves doing this thus far. I also notice the leaves seem to be closing in (see pics) I have had this for 2 years, since it was just two tiny leaves and its been growing great. Any ideas if this is normal? Is there something possibly wrong?

Hopefully I added the pictures correctly, I'm new.

Thank you for any insight.

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

This happens quite often with banana plants - it can be caused by a number of things, including slight overwatering, slight underwatering, too much top watering (it's very common when the plants endure heavy rainfall, for example - that's clearly not your issue, but it is a cause), and simply the cultivar itself (it's quite common on the AAB and ABB genetic lines, and less so on the AAA and AA lines.). Blue Java is an ABB so I'm not really surprised to see this.

In my decades of growing bananas it hasn't actually caused any issues to the plants themselves; it appears to be a purely aesthetic issue. You can use a piece of plant twine to hold the petiole back flush to the pseudostem (trunk) if you don't like the way that it looks.

3. Jamie Smith

Jamie Smith New Member

Thank you so much for your response! I don't mind it as long as the plant is still healthy. I just wanted to try to get ahead of any diseases/issues. This happened the day after I watered, so it may have been over-watered.

4. Jamie Smith

Jamie Smith New Member

I posted the other day wondering if anybody knew why my banana leaves were coming away from the trunk. I turned my banana plant around So that no wilting leaves could get some Sun, and I noticed this in the middle of the trunk. Not sure what it is but it's burrowed a hole or canker in the middle of the trunk which is somewhat protruding out of the side of the plant. It seems to have some webbing attached of some sort, I can't really get a good look inside to see what it is. Looking at the pictures does anybody know what this is or how to treat it? I realize some of the pictures are the same, but I tried to get slightly different angles. Maybe it's just rotting right there? I'm in Washington state.

Attached Files: