Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi Acer, yes I agreed Lijima and also suggest Tsuku Shigata.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon @Atapi, Tsuku Shigata is another one we can't get here in England, but yes that is indeed a really dark red. Lovely healthy specimen you have there.

3. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi Roebuk, what is the name of the JM from the last photo?

4. Acerholic

Hi @Atapi, I think ROEBUK was referring to my 'Orangeola' that I posted a few days earlier. His photo was an ultra close up of the leaf. I might be wrong, but thought I would answer as poor ROEBUK is so busy due to overnight frosts atm. Really feel for him. His garden is a picture and it takes so much work to get it that way only for a very late Spring frost to undo all the good work.
    Hope that's of help.

ROEBUK likes this.
  5. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I don't have much to add for the red theme of the day. Nothing very dark . They seem to photograph lighter than in person. My tastes actually prefer the greens and variegated types but red is good for a splash of contrast. For some reason I haven't had good luck with the reds. I have three now and have had five others die on me. My Red Dragon hasn't even turned red yet. I will have a Moonfire which should arrive tomorrow. Anyway, here's some Garnet and Tamukeyama (blowing in the breeze) shots with some other assorted stuff this morning before the rains come back later.

Attached Files:

AlainK, zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  6. Acerholic

Hi @dangerine49, your Tamukeyama certainly is a strong candidate for the dark reds of the day. And you say variegated types you prefer, now that gives a thought of a theme for tomorrow !!!!
    Look forward to seeing your Moonfire if you post it.
    Great photos yet again from you, Thankyou.

7. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

@ROEBUK fab pics, please can you tell me the names of the last two cultivars?

8. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

P. linearilobum red pygmy, pretty dark red

Attached Files:

zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  9. Acerholic

Hi @dicky5ash, 'that's dark', it's great to see the different examples. Love that photo.

10. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

AcerH, I just took a few dark red photos to see which one of mine is more dark red and you are right about the Lijima Sunago (pic #1)seems to be darker than the Tsukushi gata (pic #2), but I found this 'Yasmine' (pic 3&4)is also quite dark, too.

Attached Files:

AlainK, zfrittz, dicky5ash and 2 others like this.
  11. Acerholic

Hi @Atapi, 'lovely rain shots', is that today in Northern Virginia?Yasmine is very dark you are right. Is that your candidate for darkest red? I was thinking of putting Purple ghost in the mix, but there are some far more worthy candidates coming through today.
    Hope you are enjoying the diversion of this thread as much as I am?

12. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Atropurpureum'-.jpg Hefner's.jpg Peve-Starfish.jpg Hefner's-full.jpg I really like dark reds. Here are some of mine that look dark today anyway. They are: Atropurpureum, Hefner's Red leaves, a baby Peve Starfish that I just bought, and the Hefner's Red tree. It's cloudy and rainy and the leaves seem a little darker. Atropurpureum will turn green as the summer goes on, but Hefner's Red seems to get even darker in the summer. Don't know about how Peve Starfish will be yet for us here. Enjoying seeing everyone else's red pictures.

AlainK, emery, zfrittz and 2 others like this.
  13. Acerholic

Hi @Cjart, Starfish is definitely a candidate, loving all these photos also. Looks like rain in Idaho today ?? Set your lovely trees off a treat.
    Hope you enjoy Starfish, I have found it very hardy.

14. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Thanks Acerholic! I am hoping it does well. Have lost 1 fairly large Amber Ghost this year which makes me wary. Not wary enough to have resisted buying a little Amber Ghost as well as the little Starfish though. Going to put AG in less sun this time. We are having a cold front breeze through and maybe frost tomorrow, but then up again in the temperatures. It's very changeable in the spring. It's in the summer that we have very hot dry stretches that are hard on everything.

15. Acerholic

Hi @Cjart, I keep my Amber ghost in shade all the time as well as all my reticulated cultivars.
    So sorry to hear about your last AG, I don't know about you but its seems to be happening more and more these days everywhere. Might be climate change????
    Fingers crossed that the temperature drop tomorrow is not too problematic for you. Hearing this cold snap is in a lot of locations.

16. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

thanks, Acerholic. I think it will be okay for us. Everything but the cucumbers and tomatoes..we will have to cover those.

17. Acerholic

Stomach first everytime lol !!!!!!!

18. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Yes that's too true!!

19. Acerholic

Hi @Luke’s Maples @dicky5ash ,@ROEBUK ,@Jaybee63 , I know this is a cheering ourselves up thread, but just wanted to warn you about the weather on Sunday night. If you have already seen the forecast then please disregard this post. Just trying to help .

Acerholic

20. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Have you seen the forecast for Sunday and Monday.....Snow really !!!! few more pics of the "mystery tree not Orangeola" to tease you.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples, emery, zfrittz and 2 others like this.
  21. Acerholic

Go on then what is it? Bet I'll kick myself when you tell us. Especially as you said I posted it before Lol

22. Acerholic

Tbh @ROEBUK , a light fluttering of snow is possibly better than a frost. But your right Snow in May , 'what next' !!!!!? My stick, 'aka Rip Van Griseum is never going to wake up , Lol.

23. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

No real candidates for the 'dark one'.

Started out very wet this AM
    'Hubb's Red Willow' with a shaggy dog look
    DSCN6483.jpg

By noon 'Beni otake' had dried out, revealing some interesting color tones.
    DSCN6601.jpg DSCN6586.jpg DSCN6580.jpg

AlainK, emery, zfrittz and 2 others like this.
  24. Acerholic

Hi @wind-borne, no matter about the dark red, I just love the shaggy dog, Hubbs red willow photo. Amazing photography from you yet again.

25. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi AcerH, guess what! we are at page 40 and page 50 will not far away, thanks to you for starting this thread. And we are still in spring with a lot more to share. Northern VA is still enjoying cool weather until at least two more weeks before it gets in the 70F. And most of all our maples are really enjoying it before the heat comes in. I can't remembered any other years that these trees are having so nice colors and look very happy.
    Do you think this one is closed to AJ Meigetsu Itaya?. I got this 5-6 yrs ago and the nursery doesn't have the tag and the most I can research is this one. This is one of the largest maple leaf I have in my collection and boy when falls come, it shows spectacular multicolor.

Attached Files:

Cjart, zfrittz and Acerholic like this.