Unwrapping winter protection from young Musa Basjoo Banana plant

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Mekira, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Mekira

Mekira Member

Hello All
    I live in North Shore and planted 2' tall young Musa Basjoo plant in Fall 2017. Winterized using mulch and bubble wrap. When is the best time to remove the bubble wrap?
    I also have a 2' tall banana plant indoors waiting to be planted on the ground. When will I be able to plant it outdoors?
    Thanks for your help.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I would wait another month to unwrap. Should also be the right time to plant the other one.

3. Mekira

Mekira Member

Hello Everyone
    I hope all of you are having a wonderful spring time gardening and spending time with family.
    I have been asking help here about winterizing and unwrapping the protection. Thanks again for the timely help. I am more comfortable in my methods of planting and protecting them. No confusion anymore.
    Here is my update on banana plants that's been flourishing in our garden since fall 2017. Except mulching,I have stopped winterizing them with wraps as I feel they are settled well. I keep planting the pubs everywhere in my garden ,which is a pleasure.

Attached Files:

Tom Hulse and Daniel Mosquin like this.