Bugs on Cherry and Apple Tree? What is the best way to fix this?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by ubada, May 5, 2020.

1. ubada

ubada New Member

I've had these trees for a while in my backyard, and ive noticed alot of holes and discoloration on the leaves. What is doing this and how can i stop it?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

If you're not noticing any insects... have you had any hail storms?

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

There is a small caterpillar with some webbing around it in the second image. I can't see it well enough to compare to pests online, but maybe you can take a closer look with a magnifying lens to ID the critter.

4. ubada

ubada New Member

So I looked around today, couldn’t find any critters but I did find something that might be a pod? And a bunch of little black spots and webbing.

Attached Files:

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, there's nothing to be done about the holes that are already there. Is the damage increasing or has it halted? You can either leave it and let the caterpillars be food for their various predators or use a Bt spray.