Hydrogen peroxide

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, May 5, 2020.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning @AlainK , that is very interesting indeed. I suffer from heavy clay soil and my maples do struggle especially in Spring from oxygen starvation if we have had a lot of rain. Have you tried it?
    I'm researching where to purchase atm.
    Thankyou for posting this.

3. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I’ve just read the article and found it to be very informative.
    Root rot is a problem at times, especially with young grafts where the pot is not full of roots and we have a prolonged wet spring.
    I reckon I will try this as a treatment when I know there is an issue with the roots.

4. Jaybee63

Acerholic, If you find a source for the recommended dilution for a root drench, I’d be very interested.

5. Acerholic

Hi @Jaybee63, researching it now. 35% strength is a possible problem in UK. Will definitely let you know what I find.

6. Acerholic

Hi@ Jaybee63, found this online, AMOUNT OF WATER ADD THIS AMOUNT OF 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE --OR-- ADD THIS AMOUNT OF 35% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
    1 cup 1 and 1/2 teaspoons 7 to 10 drops
    1 quart 2 tablespoons 1/2 teaspoon
    1 gallon 1/2 cup 2 teaspoons
    5 gallons 2 and 1/2 cups 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon
    10 gallons 5 cups 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons
    20 gallons 10 cups 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon
    bathtub (aprox 25 to 35 gallons) * 12 to 17 cups 1 to 1.5 cups

Now to find best place to buy!!!

7. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, and it worked, see the link mentioned above :

8. Acerholic

Hi @Jaybee63, well it looks like 12% is only available in this country.
    There is a supplier 'Health Leads' online.
    Not sure what @AlainK would suggest re adjusting the amounts to suit??
    Are you on clay in Fareham? Ours is so bad here it was once used for brick making in the 1800 and 1900's. It traps water for sooo long and starves my maples of oxygen. And what a wet winter we just had.

9. Acerholic

Thanks Alain.

10. Acerholic

OK, I have found 11.99% for half litre bottle on Amazon at £14.99 . Hope that's of help @Jaybee63.

Jaybee63 likes this.
  11. Acerholic

OK, I've just ordered a bottle. I can see my trees smiling already in anticipation!!!!! Sorry had to send this one, as my message count was reading 666. Lol.

12. Jaybee63

Yes, on clay, but good stony topsoil over clay and topsoil drains well due to its stony nature.
    I always raise the soil when I plant a maple and plant the maple high with the root flare showing.
    What I have problems with are young plants in pots before they are full of roots, especially plastic pots. I try and always report into Terracotta pots which dry out easier.
    Thanks for the information for the peroxide, I reckon this will be a game changer.
    By the way, Fareham is famous for its red bricks, the Royal Albert Hall is built from Fareham Reds as well as a few other buildings of note.

13. Acerholic

Hi @Jaybee63, I'll report back after using it, fingers crossed for both of us. Hope it is a game changer. Good info from @AlainK.

14. Acerholic

Hi @Jaybee63, it arrived just now. Very quick delivery time. Will be trying it later today. Thanks @AlainK

Attached Files:

Jaybee63 likes this.
  15. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

I also use it a lot and it goes very well.
    I also use about 5 or 6 drops in a glass of water where I soak the seeds for 24 hours to disinfect them from any fungus, and another use I give it is for the water where I put the cuttings with rooting hormones and a few drops of peroxide of hydrogen.

Acerholic likes this.
  16. Acerholic

Hi @zfrittz, 'many thanks indeed' for that information, I was wondering if you used it, now I know.

17. zfrittz

I always use peroxide for seeds and cuttings and I have also used it in irrigation.
    There are also some co2 tablets for watering plants to facilitate soil sponging, for a greater supply of oxygen and development of the root system, and also increases resistance to pests and diseases.
    These co2 tablets are normally used 1 per 100 liters of water.

18. zfrittz

I also have to comment, that the use of hydrogen peroxide to root cuttings in hydroponics, never went well for me, for the rooted in hydroponics I use bleach, 0.5 ml. for every 20 liters of water, every 5 days, to keep pathogens at bay.
    But hydroponics is another world.

19. Acerholic

Thankyou @zfrittz, great information, the co2 tablets also looks a more economical way for the garden. Just googled them and they are very affordable.
    Thanks again from there in Andalucia.

20. zfrittz

WARNING.
    Hydrogen peroxide of more than 10% is very oxidizing and corrosive, they can cause severe burns to the mucous and gastrointestinal membranes, skin and eyes. Always wear a mask, gloves and safety glasses.
    It is much better to use more than 10% than to use 35%, I say this from my own experience and have suffered burns with it.
    If you still want to use one of more concentration in electronic stores, it is sold as a fast attacker for printed circuits.

21. Acerholic

22. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Coming late to this I think. I have been using hydrogen peroxide for years to "perk up" maples that have standing water and drainage problems. In pots only!

I bought some 20% from the dope guys years ago, a liter, and hardly touched it honestly. I water it to 0.03% - 0.05%. Because: I can tell you from personal experience, the 20% solution is designed to clean hydroponics equipment and if you get it on your hands, your skin turns white and falls off!! I would never use this as a pest killer, it would do far more damage than it helped.

However, it can bring oxygen to the roots, and I've had good results with seedlings sitting in pots where the tiny roots basically can't dry the water.

HTH! -E

23. zfrittz

Since this is the thread of the peroxide I will comment on several things to keep in mind.
    To use the 10 volume peroxide (3%) which is sold in pharmacies simply by adding between 20 and 30cc of hydrogen peroxide per liter of water, and only once a week, taking advantage of irrigation in which we do not add any other fertilizer.

It is very important to remember that after irrigation with hydrogen peroxide, the roots are very clean and sensitive, therefore the following irrigation should only be with dechlorinated water, never with fertilizer.

The use in spraying is 15cc of 3% peroxide per liter, and it is sprayed in the dark phase of our plants since it is when it consumes oxygen, which translates into thicker and more robust stems. Another of the great advantages is that it will eliminate the insects that our plant may have and the fungi.

I put a table of correspondence between volumes and%.
    Concentration at 3% = 10 volumes (the pharmacy)
    Concentration at 8% = 30 volumes
    Concentration at 30% = 110 volumes
    35% concentration = 130 volumes
    50% concentration = 200 volumes

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  24. Acerholic

Very informative @zfrittz, I've just printed this out for my maple files.
    Many thanks.

25. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I just finished reading the article posted by AlainK and am going to try using hydrogen peroxide to hopefully prevent powdery (or downy?) mildrew on rhododendrons. Does anyone have a suggestion for the ratio of 3% HP to water to treat fungal problems?

Hydrogen Peroxide for Plants