Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

haha..yes I was being lazy with names, I think emery referred to his as a wedding cake tree as well, we should both go on the naughty step! I picked mine up in a terrible state..usual nursery rescue..now growing strong. I still haven’t tracked down the name of that other tree you inquired about..slightly frustrated the card disintegrated

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I can't believe some people can have so neatly tended gardens... ^^

If this is a mirror of someone's mental state, I really should worry :-(

3. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The wedding cake tree is something quite special when in bloom.
    The first time I saw a full size specimen at Bristol Zoo, I had to have one.
    Takes a few years before it sends up a leader, and then naturally forms a beautiful shape.

dicky5ash likes this.
  4. Jaybee63

And here is Cornish Controversa Variegatta image.jpg

Atapi, ROEBUK and Acerholic like this.
  5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Jaybee63, you've had a lot of rain I see. Great photo and perfectly placed, it just floats.

6. dicky5ash

7. dicky5ash

mines in a massive pot about 90cm across.. no where near as shapely as yours, it was in a terrible state when I got it 18months ago.. I have a rouge second leader that’s growing vertically by the side of the main trunk, would you cut it off?

Attached Files:

8. Jaybee63

Yes, definitely. Mine was also a mess when I bought it.
    I’d read that it often spreads all over the place for a few years before eventually sending up a leader.
    This is what happened with mine, I just kept the single leader and was heavy handed in removing everything else. After this, it’s never needed any help in forming its shape.

9. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Two Acer cappadocicum.

The first one tha plain species, "courtesy of E-" ;-) - I really like the English, actually Norman-French, "courtesy" ;-)

acer-cappadoc_200430a.jpg acer-cappadoc_200430b.jpg

The other one I bought at a tree nursery, A. c. 'Rubrum' :

acer-cappadoc-rubrum_200430a.jpg acer-cappadoc-rubrum_200430b.jpg

The leaves of the 'Rubrum' are a bit larger, but that doesn't mean a thing (if you don't get that swing). I mean, the first one has been in the same pot for 3 years, the other one for only one year. The difference is more in the colour of the twigs, young branches : the plain species are light green, almost yellow, but the Rubrum are deep dark red.

ROEBUK, emery and LoverOfMaples like this.
  10. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I seem to think that in English, the Pagoda Dogwood is Cornus alternifolia. Glad the cappadocicum is doing well! Is the Rubrum grafted? I'm not sure this isn't just given to seedlings that push out with a lot of red.

As chance would have it, the rain (thundering!) ended around 7, with just enough time to take some pictures; and among the very last I took were the Wedding Cake Tree, and also a C. controversa 'Candlelight' which I love, though it burns easily. I've pretty much left both of these to do their own thing, and they have formed the tiered structure, though 'Candlelight' has a double stem which I think will have to be dealt with sooner or later. It's in a dark corner and I see it out of my office window, which it really lights up: I often think it's sunny by looking at the leaves, only to realize it's the usual Norman Gloom!

And now, back to our regular maple program. Promise.

Attached Files:

11. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

emery it's always nice to see other trees, always like seeing your wedding "cake tree" it's so cool would love one of those , but not enough room well back to loading up some maple pics :) :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  12. ROEBUK

Wish i had a pound for every one of these i have made over my career as a pastry chef, oh happy days !!! just a pleasant memory now :(

Jaybee63 and AlainK like this.
  13. ROEBUK

Back to Maples... few more from today. A few still needing a good week or so. Congrats to all have never seen 34 pages on one thread on this site.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

Hi ROEBUK, just this second got in from the garden, bit of tidying after the heavy rain. Lovely mixture of colours on your photos. Bet your glad its Mayday tomorrow, should be frost free from now on.
    I never thought when I started this thread that it would be so popular, I'm so pleased everyone is enjoying it. Hope it keeps it going whilst the lockdown continues, 'at least'!!!!?

Atapi and Jaybee63 like this.
  15. Jaybee63

Emery, Beautiful and I love the pagoda tree.

16. ROEBUK

Still thinking weather or not to turn the central heating back on for tomorrow !!! yes it's rained nicely up here but it's still so cold.

17. ROEBUK

You have the three best ones, stick with those.

18. ROEBUK

There seems to be a lot of could one say variations of the ghost series now coming on line ? , to confusing for me, will just stick with Amber Sister and Purple easier to differentiate with and you know they are always coming out the same colours year after year.

dicky5ash likes this.
  19. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi Luke, I have one called 'Ghost Dancer' larger leave than First ghost but green like First Ghost. I just wonder if it is in the same ghost family.

20. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi Acerholic, kudos for your great effort with this mini forum. I can not believe it keeps growing with many people coming to share their beautiful trees and gardens. It really can't come at any better times than during this pandemic. I love all the pictures and sharing and I learned a lot from you, Emery, AlainK, Jaybee, and others, Thank you so much. I hope these pages will exceed 50 at the minimum :)).

Acerholic likes this.
  21. Acerholic

Hi Atapi, thankyou for your comments, I do hope it continues tbh as we all seem to be enjoying the photos, information and the banter. Its also taken our minds away from what is going on around the world atm.
    Re Ghost Dancer, it is a lovely one indeed, but it's not officially one of the ghost family from Tallon Buckholtz. But it is one I would like but not available in the UK, yet !!
    Glad your enjoying this thread, hopefully a lot more wonderful photos to follow.

22. Acerholic

Good morning ROEBUK, put our heating on already, this weather is really quite strange these days.

Happy Mayday to everyone on the forum btw, good weather surely to follow now.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Ok , so this is my Acer Griseum this morning, dont laugh!! I actually thought I heard it say to me, " YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING IF YOU THINK I'M COMING OUT IN THIS WEATHER".
    AlainK and emery, I will have to enjoy yours instead for quite some time I think.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  24. Acirón

Acirón Active Member

Another photo of A. opalus

IMG_20200501_120838238.jpg

Regards!

LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  25. Acerholic

Good morning Aciron, that is very pretty and cheerful. Thankyou.

Acirón likes this.