Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Part 2

Attached Files:

AlainK, ROEBUK, Davethefish and 4 others like this.
  2. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

I have found Wilson’s pink quite delicate and susceptible to aphids..not sure if some cultivars can be more susceptible..I had a small 40cm Wilson’s pink 2 years ago and whilst the trunk has developed in thickness it’s over all size and development has been poor.. I bought 2 more last year as I wasn’t confident that the original one would pull through.

Similarly, I bought two P. Phoenix last year which were both 80cm, in March both looked strong but one now seems not so strong, much more pale in colour, and some die back, maybe it’s the small pink leaves on both of these cultivars. All of mine are in pots. The only difference in environment between the two Phoenix trees i have is that I potted one on into a 15ltr pot in February (this is the one that now looks strong) and I left the other in it’s original 7.5ltr pot..that one is not dying but looks much weaker. Both are in the same sheltered position sun till 11.30am

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning LoverOfMaples, I just woke up and looked at your wonderful photos, what a lovely way to start the day. Thankyou so much.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Hi dicky5ash, a wet one today, re your Wilsons pink dwarf, I have the same problem with Taylor, the Aphids love it. I've replaced several over the years and placed in different positions, pots and ground but still no luck. I do think that sometimes although we like a particular cultivar, if we keep losing them then perhaps it's time to say no more.
    Others might disagree, but it might be down to envoiremental conditions which unfortunately, unless we move house we cannot change. On a positive note there are so many other maples out there that are resilient to the aphid and stronger overall that can take a Wilson's pink Dwarf or a Taylor's place.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  5. Acerholic

Ok here are a few on a damp morning in Hampshire. :- Starfish, Red Flash, Red Pygmy, Corallinum, Uncle Ghost, Grandma Ghost, Amber Ghost, Purple Ghost, Orido Nishiki, Brilliantissimum, Ariadne, Ukigumo and Sangu Kaku.

Attached Files:

AlainK, wind-borne, ROEBUK and 4 others like this.
  6. Acirón

Acirón Active Member

Another photo, Acer opalus subs. opalus:

IMG_20200428_111637188.jpg

Regards!

AlainK and emery like this.
  7. Acerholic

Hi Aciron, that's a new one on this thread. I believe it grows very large indeed, are you going to Bonsai it?

8. Acirón

Acirón Active Member

Hi,

It will grow up normal! I will post more photos when leafs open!

Regards!

9. dicky5ash

JM jungle on a wet day, please excuse the washing line!

Attached Files:

AlainK, ROEBUK, emery and 2 others like this.
  10. Acirón

Acirón Active Member

Beautiful!

11. Acerholic

Hi dicky5ash, no room for any more then!!!????, great photo, enjoyed that.

12. dicky5ash

Thanks..no room in that area of the garden! What you can’t really see very well is the height of the trees they range from 2foot to 14foot..in a cluster they provide a degree of protection from excessive sun and wind..but do have space between

13. Acerholic

Very colourful indeed, cloudy wet days are perfect for photographing maples, the colours just pop. The variation in height you have makes it so interesting as well as giving your delicate cultivars protection.

14. Acirón

Acirón Active Member

Acer heldreichii

IMG_20200428_131222126.jpg

I have some maples of A. heldreichii that I would like to change for other maples. I hope to do it soon.

Regards!

AlainK, emery and Acerholic like this.
  15. Acerholic

Hi Aciron, lovely clear photo of a species maple. Have you grown them from seed?

16. Acirón

Acirón Active Member

Thanks! Yes!

17. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Some pics from today and yesterday , and it's just started to rain as well at last !! The Red wine is looking very pretty this year.

Attached Files:

AlainK, wind-borne, emery and 5 others like this.
  18. Acerholic

Hi ROEBUK, 'lovely specimens' in the sun, yours are all pretty not just Red wine. What a difference a day makes, its 11 degrees and raining here. April eh!!! That means snow is on the way in Yorkshire lol.

19. Acerholic

Here are a few of my Shirasawanum's shivering in the south of England rain today:- Johin, Vitifolium, Jordan, Aureum, Autumn Moon and, Moonrise.

Attached Files:

AlainK and dangerine49 like this.
  20. Acerholic

Heh, just had a knock on my door, the compost and grit I ordered and paid for at beginning of March has been delivered today. Now that's cheered me up. Think my grandchildren would call me sad for posting this, if they new'!!!! Lol

ROEBUK and emery like this.
  21. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I wimped out on the cold and wet weather yesterday and opted for the sun and warmth of today. My baby Ukigumo is finally leafing out. It was the last holdout.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples, AlainK, ROEBUK and 2 others like this.
  22. Acerholic

Hi dangerine49, beautiful close ups in the sun. Thankyou for sharing these. It does look warmer than we are here?

23. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Thanks. 40's yesterday and maybe 63 degrees F today. Back to rain tomorrow thru Friday.

24. Acerholic

Glad yours have all leafed out now, Your Ukigumo looks lovely just breaking out. I still have 6 that haven't. So very very late this year.

25. vbx

vbx Active Member

You guys have a lot of Japanese Maples trees. I thought I went overboard with my 6 trees. lol