Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

A pic of mine today

2. Luke’s Maples

Oops.. lol

Attached Files:

AlainK, ROEBUK, zfrittz and 1 other person like this.
  3. Luke’s Maples

I could (and do) spend hours just walking amongst them

AlainK likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Now that's an organised display Luke. Your running out of room!!!!!
    Enjoyed the photo, lovely and sunny in Oxford today.

5. Luke’s Maples

Right, that’s another one on the list!

6. Luke’s Maples

Thanks, it has been lovely today. We have rain coming next week. Probably a good thing.

7. Acerholic

We all love our collections so much. And now we can share each others on this thread, I'm absolutely loving all the photos!!

8. Luke’s Maples

Its great isn’t it. Hey, I know you are into maple enthusiasts videos on YouTube, as I am so I thought you may want to check this guy out.
    I stumbled across him last night.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  9. Acerholic

Thanks Luke I will take a look. I've also been watching Mr Maple on YouTube. I know it's a sales pitch but they still have lovely maples on show in their garden.

10. Luke’s Maples

Yes I watch those guys too. They are funny.

11. Acerholic

Hi Luke just watched Maple collector, Yellow Japanese Maples. OMG his garden is smaller than ours. That gives us all hope that we can fit a few new ones in LOL.

12. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

A few more to share before the rain come.

Attached Files:

AlainK, Cjart, ROEBUK and 4 others like this.
  13. Acerholic

Hi LoverOfMaples, wonderful photos, I'm loving the Japonicums more and more these days, so it's great to see yours, Thankyou.
    We have rain coming this week here in England also, the trees do enjoy their leaves getting a shower of rain, it really freshens them up.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  14. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

15. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi Emery, I always enjoyed seeing your maples collections. You have lots of them not only Acer palmatum but many other species. You must have lots of room for them, lovely and thank you for sharing.

emery likes this.
  16. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I've been cooped up with my wife over this quarantine for over a month now. I've been going stir crazy and hadn't done any nursery shopping yet this spring. I intended to go out this week but never made it due to crappy weather and general laziness. Plus loading and unloading my car with anything of a decent size will be tricky since I have a partial tear of my left rotator cuff.

So I decided to cheer myself up and place an order from Sooner Plant Farms in OK for a 5 to 6 ft. Moonfire. Free shipping and no sales tax!! I had good luck from a previous order with them a couple of years ago: a really nice Butterfly that is one of my favorites.

Acerholic and LoverOfMaples like this.
  17. vbx

vbx Active Member

Let us know how the trees are from there. I purchased one from there and they butchered it. Maple tree was pruned into a lollipop shape. Ugly!

18. Acerholic

Hi dangerine49, what better way to cheer yourself up than to buy a lovely Maple. A 5-6ft Moonfire wow. Please post a photo of it on here, I would love to see it and I'm sure others will do to.

19. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well now let's remember that "One man's meat is another man's poison". Pruning to a single trunk is considered quite desirable by some, and can work well in certain settings. I have seen single trunk JMs in formal settings, and also ancient ones around Japanese temples, that were spectacular. Some of them grow this way naturally, too.

Thanks @Atapi ! True I actually have many more species maples than JM cultivars here. -E

Attached Files:

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  20. Acerholic

Hi emery, that photo looks as if nature had put it there, LOVELY.

21. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I bought two from them in October of 2016 and planted them in ground. A Butterfly and a Seiryu. Both were a little over 5 ft. high when I received them. The Butterfly is still doing great, but unfortunately the Seiryu had a heart attack and died by August of last year. I lost a few others last year as well after a brutally hot and dry summer.

The crappy weather continues. It is really cold and wet this morning, but here is the Butterfly today and a couple of old pics of the Seiryu when it was still kicking. I will post some pics when the new one arrives.

Attached Files:

AlainK, ROEBUK, emery and 1 other person like this.
  22. Acerholic

Hi dangerine49, we all lose a few, it's part of the game it seems. At least you buy good sized trees and not the tiny ones that give up very quickly. Over the last few years I have been buying trees to give shade and trying my best to replicate a JM natural landscape. See emery's last post, that's how our gardens should look.
    Love your photos and hope it's a luke warm Summer for you this year.

23. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Four that are looking quite nice today in the sunshine, Ariadne, Mirte, Wilsons pink and Phoenix

Attached Files:

AlainK, Cjart, zfrittz and 6 others like this.
  24. Acerholic

Afternoon ROEBUK, I love the photos, very nice on a Spring day in Yorkshire, but why did they name that one 'Mirte'?

25. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Looking good "Yorkie" heh. I'd post a picture of the Wilson's Pink I recently rec'd, but it wouldn't cheer anyone up. First cut back hard, then sprayed with insecticide so all the new growth died, and covered with aphids anyway. Got a couple of buds so it may recover, but pretty disgusting. So yours is something to aspire to Mark! How much sun does it like?