Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I’ve planted 7 now, so it moist be close to a second obsession.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Or we are all obsessed together!!!!!! But in this crazy world what a fantastic obsession.

We have 4 Betula Snow queens they really do compliment our Maples. Would have more if we had the room.

3. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

What a difference a nice warm sunny day can make, top end of the garden with trees finally bursting out.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

You are so right ROEBUK, a lovely day in Yorkshire!!

5. Acerholic

Must be getting close to a new video?????????

6. Acerholic

Is everybody else enjoying all the lovely gardens around the world on this forum as well as the colourful Spring Maples? " I certainly am".

Jaybee63 likes this.
  7. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Must be close now... lol

8. Acerholic

I think we've hinted to ROEBUK enough that we like his videos. Well perhaps another nudge. LOL.

9. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Think i got the message , just waiting until they are all out, a good week should get them all going , it's like watching paint dry this year waiting for them to open.

Jaybee63 likes this.
  10. Acerholic

Hi ROEBUK, look forward to it, think Luke and I have hinted rather a lot lol.
    Totally agree with you re late leafing out, we have never known a year like this. I still have 7 including Griseum of course that still are showing nothing. Normally everything in the south of England is fully open by now. Must have been all that rain!!!!?

11. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Super.

;-)

12. Acerholic

Ukigumo in the evening light. Looking whiter every hour. With just a touch of pink.

Attached Files:

dicky5ash and AlainK like this.
  13. Acerholic

Good morning everyone, we all have a favourite maple, ok so they are all our favourites. I have one, 'Ariadne'. I have attached photos of it's leaves:- Just waking up, Spring leaves, Summer after the rain and then the whole tree in it's Autumn colour.

Do you have a favourite, Maple to cheer us all up?

Attached Files:

14. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

What envy you give me, with those gardens and that spring color, I love them all, continue with that crazy obsession, it is beautiful, congratulations to all of you who make us forget for a few moments everything that is happening and we can continue dreaming.

Jaybee63 and Acerholic like this.
  15. Acerholic

Hi zfrittz, that's what this thread is all about, 'sharing the beauty of Maples' and taking our minds off other things. Glad your enjoying it, "I am".

16. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hmmm.. will have to think. There are many that I love. I will go outside and see which one I gravitate to first.

17. Acerholic

Nice one Luke!!! It might take you a while!!

18. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Tried to quote an earlier message but I think it was too far from the end! I'm not sure I've seen a better subscribed thread in all the time I've used this forum. Anyway the gist was "it's a lot of work" and that's true, we had a chance for what the Brits euphemistically call "a medium sized garden" which really means "smaller than Kew". I've tried to design it for minimum upkeep, but I do find myself spending so much time with the maple collection that the rest of it gets neglected... But what's a few thousand brambles between friends? ;)

Jaybee I've admired your garden for a long time and it's looking amazing! Am really enjoying everyone's pictures.

I don't have a favorite maple, any more than I have a favorite composer, or painter... There are so many I admire I can't even start to list them.

Here are a few more, some I recall being discussed:

A couple of 'Autumn Moon'
    A couple of 'Moonrise', which is a week or so behind
    A couple of 'Pixie'
    A couple of A. cappadocicum 'Aureum', the true cultivar. It is less red leafing out when in tree form.
    For contrast a couple of A. longipes 'Gold Coin'
    A couple of A. japonicum 'Kujaku nishiki'. Not very variegated but lovely form and really amazing autumn colors.
    The view looking around from 'Simon Louis Frères', which features 'Princeton Gold', 'Linearlobum', 'Higasa yama', 'Chitose yama'
    A couple of the dark pink/red of A. pseudoplatanus 'Simon Louis Frères', just breaking bud now
    The rather rare and lovely A. coriaceifolium, these new leaves are really loved by green caterpillars.
    AS 'Aureum' with flowers.
    Finally a couple of another palmatum I'm evaluating, first year in the ground. Its tentative name is 'Suffer for Fashion'

I love birches too and have been planting a few, in particular B. albosinensis often has lovely pink bark. I planted 'Jean Pierre Hennebelle' and would like to put in 'Princess Sturza' and 'Pink Champagne'. BTW I've got a group of B. tianshanica which are now giving viable seed, if anyone wants some just ask.

Now back to it outside

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

Hi emery, Fantastic photos, many thanks for sharing them.
    I understand about a favourite, it is a difficult one!!!

20. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thank you Emery, very kind words.
    I’ve always loved following your posts, you have such an amazing collection and in depth knowledge.
    Superb photos and some real stunners amongst them.

21. Acerholic

Hi vbx, just an example of one of mine on the cheering ourselves up thread, re favourite maple. I haven't fed this one for last few years and have all the seasons colours. Its also in full sun. It's Ariadne btw.

22. vbx

vbx Active Member

No pic?

What's the planting zone for your area? Below 6B?

23. Acerholic

Go down the page to this morning from me. The photos are there.

24. Acerholic

Hi vbx, I'm in southern England not sure how that equates to 6b. We often get to 28 degrees in the Summer and - 4 degrees in Winter. Hope that helps.

25. Acerholic

One last one before I turn in for the night, Emerald Lace this evening.

Attached Files:

AlainK, LoverOfMaples and dangerine49 like this.