Reverse Leaf Curl in Potted Meyer Lemon Tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Melissa Street, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Melissa Street

Melissa Street New Member

Hello,

I am very new to this group and forum. I have not been able to find answers to a few questions regarding my 4 year old, potted Meyer Lemon Tree. I live in San Diego, California - it is currently April 2020 - yes, I am in quarantine like all the rest of the world.

I planted my Meyer Lemon tree 4 years ago in this pot (See photos). I knew nothing about citrus trees and have tried my best to educate myself. This tree frequently brings me lemons - approximately a dozen a few times a year. This time I have over 40 lemons, but i have terrible reverse leaf curl - I have purchased a much larger, wooden barrel and want to repot it.

Question 1: why is this this reverse curling happening?

Question 2: can I repot this tree with these lemons growing or should I wait?

I love this tree, it was a gift and I am so afraid it is dying.

Thank you in advance to all who are able to give advice. I wish you continued health and wellness!

Melissa

upload_2020-4-19_11-11-20.jpeg upload_2020-4-19_11-6-34.jpeg upload_2020-4-19_11-7-3.jpeg upload_2020-4-19_11-10-23.jpeg upload_2020-4-19_11-11-20.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2020
  2. Will B

Will B Active Member

There are many reasons citrus leaves can curl. Drought stress is a common one, as is a nutrient imbalance, and pests. I am not sure what 'reverse leaf curl' means, but based on the photos I will assume a downward leaf curl. If there are no pests (be sure to check very closely, with a magnifying glass, and under the leaves) and the plant is getting plenty of moisture, then it may be a nutrient imbalance. That usually means too much nitrogen vs potassium. You may want to consider giving it a fertilizer high in water soluble potassium and/or cutting back on nitrogen, but again check for pests first.

3. Melissa Street

Melissa Street New Member

Thank you so much!! I will check for pests again! What are your thoughts of me potting in into a bigger planter now? Should I wait till after the lemons are ripe?

4. Will B

Will B Active Member

It looks much too soon to repot it. Citrus like to be somewhat root bound, so the pot should stay smaller than you would expect for a given size plant. Also, the best time to repot is when the plant is not stressed as repotting will cause additional stresses. I recently added a page to my "growing citrus" pages that deals with transplanting (repotting) that you might find useful: Transplanting | Aprici

5. Heppo

Heppo New Member

I have the same issue with my small potted meyer Melissa, did you find the solution to downward curled leaves?

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

@Heppo, according to Edible Plants - UCCE Master Gardeners of Orange County:
    I noticed my Kieffer lime also developed such leaves at some time but all new leaves since then have been normal.