Help...aloe dying

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by rudell, Apr 11, 2020.

1. rudell

rudell Active Member 10 Years

can someone tell me whats going on..? am i overwatering ..? not watering enough?? I did transplant in bigger pot last fall and used cactus earth ..what am i doing wrong ??
    24733415424_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=sBjVsYQ7_M8AX_-UWPz&_nc_ht=scontent.fyqm1-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2020
  2. Icharus45

Icharus45 New Member

Hi , if you touch the stems are they squishy soft? If so then you might be over watering or the pot is water logged. I had this happen to an aloe I also transplanted a while back. I thought it was the shock that made it brown. But soon after the entire plant was turning brown, and I noticed the soil remained wet, weeks after I had watered it. So I turned over the pot, poked a chopstick in the drain hole and all this water leaked out. Turns out when I was transplanting I plugged up the drainage hole with bits of gravel. Soon after my aloe started to become green again and recovered fully.

Judging from your pic, if the upper stems are turning brown then I'm pretty sure you are over watering. Normally if its stressed from lack of water it would use the lower stems first , so you would see those shrink first but the rest of the upper stems should remain green.

If your aloe stems are still firm to the touch and you still see new leaves forming at the centre then I think its fine. It's natural to have stems dying either from shock or as the plant matures. My aloe is close to 25 years old. All those dying leaves becomes sort of becomes 'bark'. Hope this helps troubleshoot your issue.

rudell likes this.
  3. rudell

rudell Active Member 10 Years

anybody ?? :(

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

For clarity, note that I just approved Icharus' post, so the comment was not there when Rudell commented.

Yes, I think Icharus is correct, it's likely overwatered, possibly lacking sun. They are tough enough plants though, so if you adjust that, it will likely thrive.

rudell likes this.