Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

Here’s some of mine that are in the ground.

‘Ikandi’
    ‘Elmwood’ (2)
    ‘Seiryu’
    ‘Ikandi’

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi kgeezy20, those are wonderful, I particularly like Elmwood. The freshness and new life of Spring maple colours IMO is better than Autumn.

kgeezy20 likes this.
  3. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

After finding some kind of bug infestation on a couple of my maples I decided to have a look at the rest. I took a few pics. Hope you like them.

Koto no ito
    Burgundy lace
    Jerry schwartz
    Sango kalu
    Mikazuki
    Manyo no sato
    Omureyama
    Aconitifolium
    Beni otake
    Koto hime
    Ariadne

Attached Files:

zfrittz, Acerholic and emery like this.
  4. Luke’s Maples

Wow.. I second that. Elmwood is stunning.

kgeezy20 likes this.
  5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Really enjoying everyone's pics, thanks for taking the time. Been really cold here with a brutal east wind, I've been schlepping some pots in and out every day, but in the garden at large some pretty good damage to all the usual suspects: A. sterculiaceum, A. laevigatum, A. rubescens, A. serrulatum... Hopefully most will recover, we'll see. Growth has stalled but meant to warm up in a few days, which will get things going again.

6. Acerholic

Lovely photos Luke. Try to protect them tonight if possible, forecast says -3 degrees.

7. Acerholic

Hi emery, we have a hard frost here tonight and have been suffering with cold winds for last couple of days.
    Fingers crossed for your trees in your lovely garden.

8. Luke’s Maples

I didn't realise it was going to drop that low. Out I go again....

Thanks for the heads up.

9. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Alain,

c'est bon c'est magnifique!

The tsumi gaki is an amazing photo..I can’t wait for the dodgy one I bought last year to cone out..it’s coming

10. dicky5ash

Hi, no frost in Northampton fortunately and there was hardly any last week..However there has been no measurable amounts of rain for at least 10days or more..we seem to either be deluged or it goes dry.. some of my pots are starting to look quite dry..as it’s been sunny and windy...I might water them..although I can’t think I have ever needed to at this time of year.. are you watering?

My thought is that the leafing out process and sap flow demands more water than when dormant, or is that rubbish? Just a thought!

11. Acerholic

Hi dicky5ash, we had a hard frost last night, managed to cover everything we could reach with frost protecting fabric. It's quite a performance tbh with my wife and I turning our garden into what looks like the Swiss Alps.
    Re watering, we have watered about three times now over the past 10 days as everything has dried out quickly. We especially water after a frost at this time of year.
    I would give yours a drink as they are trying to produce leaf now, but dont drown them.
    Hope that's of help.

12. dicky5ash

Thanks same here re fleecing..looks like a Santa’s grotto...I did it last week when you mentioned..but we were plus 4 last night..and my garden is very sheltered. I have been watering the smaller trees with rain water but will give the others a go over later. I've done a few lastmin.com potting on jobs in recent days..having eventually exhausted my huge stock of ericaceous compost and with all the garden centres closed, I’m left with normal compost from Morrison’s..looks ok

13. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

No rain, very sunny but a cold 50km/hr wind for several days, so I've watered my bonsai everyday, and my potted maples too.

On some, new leaves have suffered a bit, but nothing to worry about. It's going to be around 0° tomorrow morning.

dicky5ash likes this.
  14. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Taylor
    Will's Devine
    Shigi no hoshi

Attached Files:

SLR2009, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  15. Acerholic

Hi LoverOfMaples, great pics, really like Shigi no yoshi and Will's Devine. I'm always drawn to Reticulated or Ghost types. Thanks for posting them.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  16. LoverOfMaples

No problem. Im a big fan of those myself. They are like Pokémon to me. I want to collect them all!

Purple ghost
    Shishi yatsubusa
    Sharps pygmy
    Omurayama

Attached Files:

Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  17. Acerholic

Hi LoverOfMaples, like those too. Oh Purple Ghost, a must for every maple collector IMO.

18. AlainK

I have none of the "ghost" series, I really must get one! ^^

... but I already don't know where I shall put all my seedlings when they get bigger ;-(

Some of the 2019 seedlings:

acer-sem19_200401a.jpg

Anyway...

This evening's pics:

Acer buergerianum Most of them have leafed out for almost two weeks:
    200401-A.buerger.jpg

Acer discolor. This one has been in full leaf for almost two weeks, I have two other ones that are just starting to leaf out:
    200401-A.discolor.jpg

Acer p. 'atropurpureum dissectum':
    acerp_atro-dis02_200401b.jpg

Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon', just starting to leaf out. The two other shirasawanum I grew from seeds taken on this tree have long leafed out, I even slip-potted them because they were beginning to be rootbound (on the second photo you can see the difference in the bark colour, the size of the leaves and the overall shape of the two trees from the same parent):

acershir-a.moon_200401a.jpg acershir-a.moon-sem_200401a.jpg

A small 'Orange Dream', an air-layer trained as a bonsai. I just saw that it has one bunch of flowers:
    acerp_orangedream01_200401b.jpg acerp_orangedream01_200401a.jpg

opusoculi, zfrittz, emery and 3 others like this.
  19. LoverOfMaples

Yama Kage
    Crimson Queen
    Ao kanzashi
    Kawaii
    Reticulatum purple
    Asahi zuru

Pics on hold for now. The wife is calling. Enjoy everyone and be safe!

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

Hi AlainK, great evening pics, seedlings are great fun but they do grow and our gardens don't!!! Acer discolor or China maple is a rare one, lovely to see it thankyou. Go on spoil yourself with one Ghost, you won't regret it. The only trouble is stopping at one!!!

21. Acerholic

Hi LoverOfMaples, I see your secret is a greenhouse, so sensible tbh. You have protected those delicate buds perfectly. Spring can be difficult for smaller delicate varieties ; all these wonderful posts from everyone is really cheering me up 'I hope it is for everyone else'.

22. AlainK

You seem to have fully understood what the problem is ;0)

Now, it's almost summer time , and the living is easy - at least for those who have a garden and don't have to worry about the money because their pension is paid on time. My sons are out of work, but at least in France, they get paid the minimum wage, and one of them came to dig a patch of my garden where I plant tomatoes, courgettes and a few things. He had the document needed, and a pen with the sort of rubber with which you can erase and correct the date and hour. Ah, boys will be boys. I can't really blame him...

I had a look outside, and saw the last rays of a very sunny day on my Koto-no-Ito. It's impossible to catch the feeling you can get on a photo, but :

acerp-kotonoito_200401a.jpg acerp-kotonoito_200401b.jpg

opusoculi and Acerholic like this.
  23. Acerholic

Hi AlainK, a lovely Koto-no-ito at the end of a sunny day, if that's the last Spring photo on the Forum today then that's a wonderful end to the day. 'Thankyou'.

24. AlainK

I really must tidy up my place... ^^

25. LoverOfMaples

Yes yes. The green house is a life saver. I'm thinking expanding it or building a hoop house this year.