Mount Pleasant

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by eteinindia, Mar 3, 2008.

1. yaletowner

yaletowner Active Member 10 Years

The Akebono reference was a quote from 2017. I didn't see anything in bloom on the sunnier south side of City Hall. At least all the snow piles have melted now but the piles of road salt still needs to be put away! The Marinaside seawall Akebono were being pruned a couple of days ago. They will be popping soon enough.

wcutler likes this.
  2. Laura Blumenthal

Laura Blumenthal Well-Known Member 10 Years

I wore myself out explaining to the other walkers on the walk this past Saturday why all of the nice trees they were seeing in bloom were plums, not cherries, when I spotted this lovely specimen which gave me the opportunity to SHOW them the difference. Unfortunately, though, I'm not sure I know what it is - an Akebono? Location: One half block west of Ontario on 15th, south side of the street.
    u9jkaEO4RCyoAhw76FLLxw.jpg qwsNqMndTNu28g6wsZZ4Dg.jpg

3. Laura Blumenthal

Hmm. Confusing - in your last post you showed photos of several trees in bloom - were they all from another year, or just the Akebono?

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

In the park are supposed to be 'Pandora'. The tree shape looks right for that. It looks possible for the flowers, though there isn't much to go on yet.

Joseph Lin and Laura Blumenthal like this.
  5. yaletowner

The two pictures are the Accolades this year by the north entrance of City Hall. The young Akebonos on the south side were not yet blooming (but could be soon)

6. Laura Blumenthal

Oops - my bad - I was looking at the post from the previous year.

7. jtremblay

jtremblay Active Member

The Pandora trees at Mount Pleasant Park are fully bloomed. I kinda remember there were three blooming trees at this location last year, but it seems the two trees at the entrance of the park are diseased (one didn't bloom at all this year, the second is only half bloom), which leaves one healthy tree for you to visit at this busy location that includes a garden, playground, and plenty of room for picnic.

Attached Files:

8. jtremblay

jtremblay Active Member

Accolade at Vancouver City Hall are blooming.

Attached Files:

yaletowner likes this.
  9. yaletowner

The 8 young Akebono's at the Creek sales office are blooming nicely today.

Attached Files:

10. yaletowner

A nice row of Akebonos in the Housing Co-operative opposite the BMO Theatre Centre - full bloom with petals falling

Attached Files:

11. yaletowner

Cycling in the rain along Yukon I saw both a shirotae and akebono nicely in blossom around from the police station and then the grove of akebono on the south east corner side of city hall. Heads up that the Beatty Walk kanzan are budding so they might have a nice display of pink blossoms for the weekend of the Sun Run (April 14) and then easter Sunday (April 21). Will there still be akebono blossoms on W Georgia for the first km of the Sun Run?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  12. Willard

Willard Generous Contributor

‘Accolade’ at City Hall are starting to bloom, even in this dank weather.

20200302 CityHall Accolade Willard IMG_5334.jpg

20200302 CityHall Accolade Willard S2140008.JPG 20200302 CityHall Accolade Willard IMG_5329.jpg 20200302 CityHall Accolade Willard IMG_5338.jpg 20200302 CityHall Accolade Willard S2140002.JPG 20200302 CityHall Accolade Willard S2140010.JPG

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  13. Lisa L

Lisa L Well-Known Member

Whitcomb trees out at the north end of Tea Swamp Park at 15th and Sophia. We saw them last weekend as we walked to get groceries! Very thin twiggy branches and the graft union is horrible, but all that pink is beautiful! I am calling them Whitcomb as I am just going with what was on the neighborhood map from years back. -Lisa Oops wrong tree. here are the pics for the one at Tea Swamp Park. I will put the ones from 18th and Prince Edward into the Riley park thread. thanks for catching me error Wendy ! I was wondering why so many double petals for a Whitcomb Lisa
    20200321_15thSophia_whitcomb_llennie_122523.jpg 20200321__15thSophia_whitcomb_llennie_122601.jpg 20200321__15thSophia_whitcomb_llennie_122455.jpg 20200321__15thSophia_whitcomb_llennie_122450.jpg 20200321__15thSophia_whitcomb_llennie_122443-1.jpg
    View attachment 171919 View attachment 171917 View attachment 171918

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  14. Josie NewWest

Josie NewWest Member

Thanks to WCutler for helping me learn my blossoms. Akebono - on the south side of Vancouver City Hall building (12th Ave between Cambie & Yukon).
    Accolade on the north side are also in bloom.
    20200331_vancityhall_akebono_mccarthy_163824.jpg 20200331_vancityhall_akebono_mccarthy_163632.jpg 20200331_vancityhall_akebono_mccarthy_163657.jpg 20200331_vancityhall_akebono_mccarthy_163224.jpg 20200331_vancityhall_akebono_mccarthy_163305.jpg 20200331_vancityhall_akebono_mccarthy_163505.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2020
    wcutler likes this.
  15. yaletowner

The stretch of Kanzan street trees identified back in 2008 on W 7th from Hemlock to Main is mostly still there EXCEPT the construction of the big box stores at Cambie has resulted in the removal of two blocks of the old trees and construction at Main has taken out a block so that now the Kanzan is contiguous only from Yukon to Quebec for the west side of the Mt Pleasant neighbourhood. At Yukon there are two other trees in blossom. The big old Prunus avium on private property stretches into the street Kanzan and has small white blossoms with five petals while the Akebono besides Solly's Bagel Cafe has small pink blossoms with five petals. Both were near the end of their bloom. The old tree was too tall to get a good look at the blossoms but I did manage to zoom in for a close up. The pink blossoms of the Akebono fell apart when touched.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  16. yaletowner

The big parking lot across from Science World by McDonalds has lots of blossom action happening with the pink Kanzan being contrasted by white sweet cherry and possibly a sole pink perfection sitting not so perfectly on sweet cherry stock with metal dogtag. For some reason a young sweet cherry was planted on the mound by the pavilion outside the south Science World parking lot. Unfortunately the nice group of trees decorating the condo sales centre next door have disappeared as the sales centre is gone to be replaced by a residential tower.

17. wcutler

Wow, that first 'Pink Perfection' photo (4th photo) - you have to laugh. Your name is of course more apt, but we are being encouraged these days to be kind, not jump to conclusions. Maybe it wasn't just a marketing ploy - some garden person thought he'd come up with a beauty, and the flowers really are maybe even the prettiest of the cherries. You only get a few years to look at most of the ones around here though.

18. yaletowner

The Pink Perfection was detailed 3 years ago in a posts 90 and 91. The metal tag seems to reference to an effort by the City of Vancouver to do a tree inventory. I have not yet tracked down this inventory listing but it is likely one of the 522 Pink Perfection listed in the OpenData project files.
    Street trees
    Kanzan is the most common cherry in Vancouver with 10,537 trees listed vs 2,371 Akebono and 813 Ukon.

19. wcutler

You know there are not 522 'Pink Perfection' trees in Vancouver, right? Even when Bill Stephen was head of street trees with the Park Board, he said the scouts' data was better than their inventory, but I could never get anyone there interested in our data.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "not yet tracked down this inventory listing", and then you give the link for the listing. From that page, you can download the city's full street tree list.

20. yaletowner

Well I did not see it on the map they provided and the tag #402 was not shown as far as I could tell.

21. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Two little Shiro-fugen trees huddling under the larger Kanzan on north side of E. 8th, east of S. Catherine, are in bloom at April 19,2020.
    20200419_E8StCatherines_Shirofugen_Eng_1689.jpg 20200419_E8StCatherines_Shirofugen_Eng_1693.jpg 20200419_E8StCatherines_Shirofugen_Eng_1690.jpg 20200419_E8StCatherines_Shirofugen_Eng_1694.jpg 20200419_E8StCatherines_Shirofugen_Eng_1692.jpg 20200419_E8StCatherines_Shirofugen_Eng_1691.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  22. Janice Lin

Janice Lin Active Member

Attracted by the color from a distance, then went closely to check. Happened to see this Pandora blooming across 15th from Mt Pleasant Park. Maybe it has passed the best view stage. It blooms earlier than those in Kerrisdale, which I saw two days ago, from a distance.
    20210322_25w15th_Pandora_Janice_160124.jpg 20210322_25w15th_Pandora_Janice_155900.jpg 20210322_25w15th_Pandora_Janice_155942.jpg 20210322_25w15th_Pandora_Janice_160159.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2021
    Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

All of a sudden there are Pandora photos coming thick and thin, and 'why not' as they are early and beautiful.

24. yaletowner

Cycling through the Olympic Village over a week ago, there were many birds making quite a din so I stopped to see what was up. It turns out, a little grassy field across from the BMO Theatre has a walking path lined with Akebono. A bird feeder placed on one of the larger trees seems to have attracted many black birds some with bright red patches on their wing. I actually visited over a few days and a few days ago many of the petals had fallen and were promptly cleaned up by the gardening crew leaf blowers. Not much blossoms to see now but the birds will still be there.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Acerholic likes this.
  25. wcutler

Acerholic likes this.