Blanc de coubert a good rose?

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by flowercents, Mar 7, 2006.

1. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

Been thinking about purchasing this, because of the fragrance, but read it isn't a very nice looking shrub (leggy or something). Does anyone have one and are you pleased with the appearance of it?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

'Blanche Double de Coubert' is a highly rated classic variety. I wouldn't worry about the habit. Are you familiar with Rugosa roses?

3. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Howdy Flowercents,
    Please take Ron's advice - go ahead and plant one. I find that as it matures, the bush is fairly rounded and full. Few roses come close to it for fragrance. The only beef I have with Bdc is, it is fairly aggressive and has a tendency to 'walk' with age. In the Edmonton area it is also very susceptible to galls on the stems. Hansa is another very fragrance rose you might consider. It hasn't walk on me yet.
    Peace
    Thean

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2010
  4. Anne Taylor

Anne Taylor Active Member 10 Years

I treasure mine above all roses. It is truly indestructable. I had a side shoot take off on me and within a year, it was a lovely addition to my best friends garden.
    The fragrance is exactly like Pond's cold cream, ( hey you gotta be old to remember the stuff). Many rose plants are not structurally super tidy so just love it for what it is.
    This one sits in a woodland border, thumbs it's rose-nose at all the deer, gets more shade than a fussy rose wants but blends in with the background everso nicely, and won't die. It's leggy-ness blends in. With the ease and scent what's not to love? Therese Bugnet, Hansa, and Buffalo Gal, are all trying to catch up, but so far BdC is the real winner.

5. Ron B

Own root Rugosa roses (pure species forms and close hybrids) sucker to form thickets, as do many wild roses. Grafting on non suckering rootstocks avoids this, however I (and others) have encountered some problems with grafted Rugosa roses dwindling away on apparently incompatible rootstocks.

6. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for your replies. I think I will try it out. Can the suckering be kept under control? It will be in a small bed without a lot of room to grow. I'm not very familiar with rugosa roses but bought a Hansa last spring.

7. Ron B

I have a Rosa rugosa 'Alba' menacing my ashphalt driveway. Do not plant own root, suckerous roses where their underground spreading will become a nuisance.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  8. Dee M.

Dee M. Active Member 10 Years

I had a problem with mine that no one else I've talked to has had, all the flowers would ball and rot before they opened. It had sun till about 1:00 pm. I don't know if it was a defective plant or what, but I got rid of it because it was so disappointing. I would like to try it again some day. So do you think this particular hybrid would sucker too aggressively if it was own root?

9. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Dee, I trust that you are sure that you had Blanc Double de Coubert? To my eye the gorgeous foliage and prickly canes are quite distinct. It would be surprising to see balling on that rose. When it does open, the fragrance is exquisite, but the flowers, on weak stems, last only a couple of days and usually do not form hips. I must report a grafted rose of less vigor as well, so I will be trying to root some cuttings this year and am not worried about vigorous suckering. Interestingly, a cane was torn nearly completely off this winter, but it is that cane bending to the ground that is fully leafing out now while the rest of the bush has little growth. Anne, for the years that deer had access here, they did not discriminate, other than completely avoiding the native R. gymnocarpa, and indulged in the buds and flowers of BDdC as well as every other rose on the property, including species roses. Readers please note that Rugosas do not tolerate chemical spraying, but it is true that they tolerate the wind and sea.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  10. ohroseme1

ohroseme1 Member

I have had Double Blanc in my front garden bed for year next to our Japanese maple, beautiful rose, worth all, suckers have been maintained well, since we are limited space wise, you can prune to your hearts desire on this, hardy, can't beat this beauty, for strength, fragrance, and outstanding bloom cycles. Ours blooms here in Indiana right up to fall, for that last dash of beauty. a truly to die for fragrance.