schefflera actinophylla (AKA Umbrella Tree)

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by luciferb, Mar 24, 2006.

1. luciferb

luciferb Member

Hello all
    firstly i am a newby and hope to get to chat to you all over time my interests are mainly ferns,palms,orchids.Bonsai,staghorn and elkhorns but do have interests in other areas
    now my question is how is it best to propagating schefflera actinophylla (Umbrella Tree) i have herd that it can be done by stem but i am unable to find out if that is correct or not
    thanks fopr your help
    regards
    bill

2. Tommyr

Tommyr Member

I did it last year for the first time. Take a stem cutting or 2 if possible. Make 3-4 inch sections and place the bottom 1/3 of them in a glass of water. In a few weeks you should notice little "nubs" on the bottom third of the cuttings. Let them grow a bit then pot up in a well draining mix, I like Pro mix.

Tom

3. Barry B

Barry B Member

I grow schefflera varieites on a commercial basis, from seed. With regards to Actinophylla, you can harvest seed from a mature plant. Cut off the red strings of seed pods when colour turns to dark maroon. Let dry in sun. Then wash in water to get ouit of pods. rub and remove seed from pods. Dry again. Sow individually in seeedling trays, one seed per cavity. Cover lightly. Germination in 14 to 21 days if seed was healthy. Else buy seed from commercial suppliers. Holland the best source for this.

4. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

I find stem rooting in water the fastest and easiest way. Not always the most successful but so far the best for me.

5. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Barry B, what great news! I had no idea about growing them from seeds. As I am now beginning to realize, just because for 45yrs I've been able to successfully grow houseplants doesn't mean I particularly know what I am doing. Love the great info and your time in responding.
    Thanks
    Nancy

6. dargen

dargen Member

I have 2 very large cuttings, one about a 4 foot branch and the other about a 5 foot branch. There is lots of foilage on both. Are these cutting too large to plant? They are both planted now, one seems slightly stressed, the other is very stressed. I am new to this. Can anyone offer advice for the care of these large cuttings? I have another thread on identification, with photos herehttp://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=47105

7. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I am sitting here in horror hearing about how these plants are being produced on a commercial basis. Although native to Nothern Queensland (Australia) Schefflera actinophylla have become a declared weed in Queensland. We cannot sell this variety. I guess because it's sold more as an indoor plant and the extreme winters that it's not yet become a problem in other areas. Although Johannesberg SA would be an ideal climate for them I'd imagine.
    I have read a few times where people want to plant these out in their yards and it makes me cringe. The beautiful flowers and seed are what attract us and also the birds which is what will spread these guys far and wide. But then I have also read about how you can grow Lantana without it becoming a problem because of your climate:}